Thread: Brighton 1972 Question

Thanks

Default Brighton 1972 Question

Is there any more footage of the concert on June 29, 1972? I know that "Careful with that axe..." & "Set the controls..." were filmed but is there any more footage from this concert?

There are some clips shown in the DSOTM documentary of Brighton dome 1972 of other songs which implies that there is more footage of this concert, If anyone has more footage from this concert, please share.

This is the show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3xcxVeElYU

Thanks

Welcome to Y!

This is a question that has been discussed a lot. And most likely there are no more footage from Brightton Dome in existence. Only Set The Controls... and Careful... were filmed and then there are some outtakes. What you see in the documentary during "The Travel Sequence/On the Run" are mostly these outtakes clearly synced to the audio to make it look like it is actual concert footage.
    It took me many years to accept this.it is such a shame that the whole concert wasn't filmed. That would have been the definitive Pink Floyd live release!
    I'm sorry to disappoint you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Welcome to Y! There are no more footage from Brightton Dome in existence.
    Correct. The other snippets shown were from "B-Roll" footage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-roll

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    What you see in the documentary during "The Travel Sequence/On the Run" are mostly these outtakes clearly synced to the audio to make it look like it is actual concert footage.
    And poorly synched to boot.

Thanks

The Travel Sequence clip can be discredited pretty easily. Rick plays a 'run' down the keyboard, as heard in the audio. In the audio he is playing a Fender Rhodes (or Wurlitzer?) electric piano. In the footage he is clearly playing his Farfisa. This clip was created by taking a snippet of the ambient section to Set The Controls, and making it fit.

I think the ultimate proof, is to look at the two videos we have. Set The Controls is badly edited, badly sync'd, and interspersed with library footage of volcanoes. In fact footage of the band becomes very thin on the ground after the five minute mark. Careful With That Axe is more complete, but is clearly an amalgamation of different takes of the song. Notice that the flare pots at the back of the stage only appear in some shots during the scream section. For Careful (...) the audience sound is clearly pasted in, after an unnatural fade out.

I reckon they had a gentleman's agreement to film the band during the soundcheck and gig. They captured the audio of the band rehearsing Careful and Set The Controls, and filmed enough stuff on hand-held cameras to sort of putty together a usable video. This is why we see shots of Roger and Rick filmed at such close proximity that the camera person is casting a shadow on the musicians. Maybe they also shot random bits of the gig on the night (hence why the audience is sometimes visible), but out of etiquette didn't film onstage as the band played the gig. Instead a lot of the 'gig' shots were filmed from in front of the stage at a lower elevation. In Careful (...) this gives us the angles with the flash pots going off behind Nick. They maybe used three cameras or so, which gives us some more diverse camera angles, distance shots etc. The really closeup stuff was all filmed in rehearsal, and snippets and interesting stuff was filmed at the gig. The lighting was better, and more mixed, at the gig. This is why we have wee snips of the band playing on a staged bathed in blue light, etc.

Roscoe (from memory) mixed the outtakes (B-reel stuff) into a clip of Any Colour You Like. In this video you see Roger taking a sip from a mug, stashed on top of his amp. I really doubt he did this during a gig, but I bet he would do that during a sound check.

To summarise, if you filmed a bunch of proto Dark Side of the Moon concert material, would you chop it all up and badly edit it to match two of the oldest songs in the band's set? This footage has never been expanded, and the audio has never been improved. Those mono mixes must be unique, else they would have been upgraded over time. The 'Making of...' DVD did a good job of stitching these footage snippets together with other Brighton audio to make a coherent audio visual presentation. I've argued online with guys who are convinced that there must be a complete Travel Sequence video hidden away somewhere.
    Last edited by Orgone Accumulator; 2018-06-16 at 10:08 PM.