Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pink Floyd – Best Of North American Tour 1977 (Sigma 218)

Thanks

Very sad indeed. I wish more people knew about there torrent trading sides so they wouldn't waste money on buying bootlegs!
    I recently realized that the DVD set from Gilmours concert in Pula, Croatia in 2015 which I spend more than 3 months creating (downloading videos from YouTube and other places, searching for the master sources for many of the videos, archiving and listing the videos, finding complete audio, learning to edit the videos on a Mac, making sure that each video have the same look (colour, light etc.), syncing audio and video, finding bonus material for the DVD's, creating the DVD's) was sold for around 20$ on a site that only sells bootlegs!! They even re-used the coverart I had made for the release!. That made me quite angry. I was very passionate about that project and put a lot of hard work into it because I was at the show and it was the first time I saw Gilmour live and it was an amazing show.
    I guess it can't really be prevented

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Very sad indeed. I wish more people knew about there torrent trading sides so they wouldn't waste money on buying bootlegs!
    I recently realized that the DVD set from Gilmours concert in Pula, Croatia in 2015 which I spend more than 3 months creating (downloading videos from YouTube and other places, searching for the master sources for many of the videos, archiving and listing the videos, finding complete audio, learning to edit the videos on a Mac, making sure that each video have the same look (colour, light etc.), syncing audio and video, finding bonus material for the DVD's, creating the DVD's) was sold for around 20$ on a site that only sells bootlegs!! They even re-used the coverart I had made for the release!. That made me quite angry. I was very passionate about that project and put a lot of hard work into it because I was at the show and it was the first time I saw Gilmour live and it was an amazing show.
    I guess it can't really be prevented
    Happenned to a fanedit of Led Zeppellin I did called In For A Quick Garden. Took me ages. And I saw it sold in DVDs. Jokes on them: my name is watermarked at different places.

Thanks

I recorded The Rolling Stones in Charlotte NC October 10, 1997. A clone of my DAT made it into the hands of The Vinyl Gang VGP-154.
    https://www.giginjapan.com/scan159/r...nybody-vgp.htm

At that time I didn't have the tools to convert my DAT to CD-R or transfer it to PC. So I was kind o honored to see my recording surface on silver CD. So I bought me a copy from Japan for $60.

I own 100's of vinyl and CD bootlegs I purchased in the late 1980's. So I have a soft spot for bootlegs. The best thing in my collection is Led Zeppelin's The Final Option 70 LP boxed set.

If interested you can see some photos of my box in this thread.
    http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/topic/...ion-70-lp-box/

Some people prefer to have a physical copy and collect bootlegs. Or maybe they don't know anything about BitTorrent or they are afraid of the legality associated with it. So the existence of bootlegs is not all bad.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Markbot View Post
    Some people prefer to have a physical copy and collect bootlegs. Or maybe they don't know anything about BitTorrent or they are afraid of the legality associated with it. So the existence of bootlegs is not all bad.
    Could be, but the point here is that the act of not crediting those who worked hard on creating the release and put another name on top of it is contempt to those who really worked.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eckoes View Post
    Could be, but the point here is that the act of not crediting those who worked hard on creating the release and put another name on top of it is contempt to those who really worked.
    But the part where they only released the stereo fold down on CD and screwed up and left my text in about hearing discrete surround makes me giggle.
    (Assuming they didn't also put out the DVDA or bluray anyway... Did they release those too? I literally provided the iso images when I posted this.)

Perhaps they should have spent a minute paying attention to whet they were doing? But then I suppose it's not like they're actual fans of the band or interested in the music.

Quote Originally Posted by nipote View Post
    No, a shit release.
    Haha!

Thanks

Default Beat The Bootlegger

Maybe press the first 1000 to silvers yourself. with accurate information and credits it would historically be the primary source and chronicled correctly. sounds radical but it would render the leeches powerless. profits could be donated to charities relevant to the band and contributors.. and Y members get first refusal
    Them: "will you ever just conform?"
    Me: "Yes! one day I will die just like all the rest".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Maybe press the first 1000 to silvers yourself. with accurate information and credits it would historically be the primary source and chronicled correctly. sounds radical but it would render the leeches powerless. profits could be donated to charities relevant to the band and contributors.. and Y members get first refusal
    I wish it could work like that, but I think that would get us in a fair amount of trouble straightaway!

Still, a very good concept!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,030 Times in 67 Posts

Yeah, that wouldn't work out all happiness and light I don't think. Starting with the part where the music isn't my property in any way shape or form...
    I didn't sell a single copy of Pompeii or make even $1 off it. (In fact, I put up $100 towards the pro 24/192 transfer.) Probably could have made 5 figures. Top google search for 6 months and all. So this one doesn't exactly bother me!

Hmmm. Maybe I should release a revision and obsolete their CD right away? I think they screwed up sufficiently with the mention of the surround master in their text though to both make people roll their eyes at it and alert them to the existence of the master.

Maybe we could devise a Yeeshkul encoder/decoder codec so that no one else can play the downloads? That's probably the worst idea I've had so far...
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2018-07-04 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    Yeah, that wouldn't work out all happiness and light I don't think. Starting with the part where the music isn't my property in any way shape or form...
    I didn't sell a single copy of Pompeii or make even $1 off it. (In fact, I put up $100 towards the pro 24/192 transfer.) Probably could have made 5 figures. Top google search for 6 months and all. So this one doesn't exactly bother me!

Hmmm. Maybe I should release a revision and obsolete their CD right away? I think they screwed up sufficiently with the mention of the surround master in their text though to both make people roll their eyes at it and alert them to the existence of the master.
    I suppose a ghost release would serve the same purpose. as long as the folks at Discogs and other relative archive sites get an EPK and promo/preview copy. IOffer bootleggers (who are extortionate leeches) could be diffused by someone listing it with a free download link (via a different tracker).

How do Sigma and others get around the copyright issue & who retails the 1000 silvers?.. I wouldn't care but I have been in conference calls with hip hop artists, DJ's and European record labels about similar issues but cannot remember much of what was said due to a mix of not really paying attention and Mary Jane clouding my brain at the time. ultimately It was a loophole about the DJ mixing that defined them as showcasing his work/talent rather than theirs and resulted in 3 of them being stocked/sold by HMV. so the solution is.. 'DJ-FishEye presents:' haha.

Maybe we could devise a Yeeshkul encoder/decoder codec so that no one else can play the downloads? That's probably the worst idea I've had so far...
    we can let that one slide as you have had and implemented many great ideas. at least the fact the pirates steal your efforts to produce their best offerings is accolade to yours and the other contributors fine work.
    Rex.
    Them: "will you ever just conform?"
    Me: "Yes! one day I will die just like all the rest".

Thanks

Now Jim, you know you would just be setting them up to release "Definitive best of North American Tour '77". Some of these labels have released the same show multiple times because of new upgrades, etc. I kind of wish Pink Floyd themselves would steal Yeeshkul members' work instead though. They are missing out on a lot of money, that's for sure.

The real test would be to try to punk these bootleggers by releasing a torrent of a supposedly uncirculated show with all of us commenting on how great it is, but let the audio be a recording of a top 40 wedding band or something. Then, sit back and watch it get pressed with Pink Floyd cover art.
    Last edited by Lennyif; 2018-07-05 at 12:24 AM.