Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where does this "Hey you" version come from?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antony View Post
    Please PM or mail to me as well. I'm really curious about any further job you did.

If you take the original Parsons quad version, add the 5.1 Guthrie's version you have a lot of room to go. Many interesting nuances buried in the stereo mix reveal. Basically this allows you to create your own mix. Floyd members will play for your ears in custom line-ups. Fantastic.

I'm currently working on Shine On version, removed the lead guitar parts (did a backing track for myself). Missing some drums & vocals, but I think it needs more time to work out...

wait, there's an alan parsons quad mix of 'the wall?' or are you thinking of the (rather excellent) mix he did of 'dsotm?'

Thanks

OK. This could be the "Reel 13" bonus:

The solo is shortened, but I hear no scream after the bridge, probably it just goes too quiet in one of the channels as floydfan2410 assumed.
    Thanks everyone, at least we all know now that the probable sourse of the mix is jmr.
    there are no sound effects from the movie in that, at all. isn't that just the studio version, edited a bit, and used as a "placeholder" track? or, more likely, added back on to the video, after the fact? it definitely doesn't sound like part of that piece of film, which has all kinds of jumps and scratches and noise going on, while the audio sounds studio perfect...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffers View Post
    there are no sound effects from the movie in that, at all. isn't that just the studio version, edited a bit, and used as a "placeholder" track? or, more likely, added back on to the video, after the fact? it definitely doesn't sound like part of that piece of film, which has all kinds of jumps and scratches and noise going on, while the audio sounds studio perfect...
    Got it. It's a bonus track from the DVD as description to the isolated mix mentions. Right in the first VTS_01_1.VOB
    Video is the same as Reel 13 youtube link above. You won't hear the noises or scream as youtube grabs only front channels, but not the whole mix. Isolated mix features centre channel mostly (except for the solo).

Quote Originally Posted by geoffers View Post
    wait, there's an alan parsons quad mix of 'the wall?' or are you thinking of the (rather excellent) mix he did of 'dsotm?'
    I meant DSotM & WYWH. I think Alan did only these two. We got it within the Immersion box for these albums. But the Wall was missing multi-channel tracks. If you think of Hey You as a leak - you know the tapes are in good condition & waiting for its time. On a shelf...

Thanks

You won't hear the noises or scream as youtube grabs only front channels, but not the whole mix. Isolated mix features centre channel mostly (except for the solo).

But the Wall was missing multi-channel tracks. If you think of Hey You as a leak - you know the tapes are in good condition & waiting for its time. On a shelf...
    ok, the first part makes sense. dvd mix, center channel only. but the second part? if the multi-tracks were missing, how did they put together a 5.1 mix for the film, that could then be re-arranged into the isolated mix from the youtube clip? or do you mean the movie multis were used for the soundtrack, but the album multis have gone missing, hence no 5.1 mix of that album?

my confusion aside, i'd love for alan to get his hands on the multis for 'the wall,' or 'wish you were here.' unless i'm mistaken, the immersion 5.1's were not his work (guthrie, probably?). he only did a version of 'dsotm,' which they did not use, at all, in any official release... and "someone" leaked it to the fan community (i've always presumed alan, himself).

Thanks

After two treasuries like DSotM & WYWH, I was a bit disappointed when I found no multitracks in the Wall Immersion release. Even though J.Guthrie told the work is on. But not so fast...
    Is it just greedy marketing? Must have been unusual & innovative in the 70's, but multi-channel systems are very popular now.
    Hey You stays aside as it was not the part of the movie. And 5.1 mix has been made for the film so far.

A.Parsons did original quad mixes for two albums, then left for solo works as a performer.
    J.Guthrie did the modern 5.1 mixes for two Immersion releases.

The rest seem to be fan upmixes or vinyl rips, good quality stuff, but not as clean or clear when the original tapes are used.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm still happy that new multitrack releases keep appearing, loved Pompeii re-issue.