Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Animals 5.1 Release

Thanks

I have renewed hope today that this release will be more than just a standalone Blu-ray or SACD.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,055 Times in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yyz View Post
    Im no expert, but "Remastered" albums only sound louder to my ears.
    Have they not already released 7 "Remastered" versions in various box sets.

Surely we want a "Remixed" version of Animals ?

Cheers
    YYZ
    The term 'mastered' simply means presenting a mix in consumer formats. It can involve anything from literally not touching the audio in any way and putting it into a file format 1:1 to very heavy forensic restoration handling and everything in between. That's for the full quality consumer formats (24 bit formats). Formats aimed at portable devices (CD, mp3) will be the equivalent of cropped. (Dynamically 'cropped'.) Just like cropping a picture and enlarging the cropped out part for clarity in a smaller sized advertisement. It makes sense for iThings, streaming, and radio but looks like damage when viewed (heard) full sized. A remaster for CD will be 'cropped' and 'brightened'. A remaster for bluray will be the full audio image carefully framed. With any little tears or wrinkles on the edges carefully repaired and with the whole thing in correct natural balance with no crude hype or brightening.

In case there's confusion on this part: This isn't something that alters the original iteratively every time it's done. Mastering is taking the original final mix, running it through a mixing board to do any of the framing/cleaning/whathaveyou and the output is the new master. The original mix is still there to do that again later if someone decides to. Just like if someone does a poor job color correcting a picture, you can start over from the original. Some original mixes are perfect right out of the box and shouldn't be touched. Others might be a little murky and need a little help. The important balances are there and a lot of great nuance which can all be more important than overall fidelity sometimes. But maybe the mix was made using somewhat odd speakers or in an odd room and could use a little presentation help.

Many remasters were aimed at portable formats. They sound in your face as such but they very much are a degraded copy of earlier masters. Sometimes the destruction goes inexplicably beyond that and makes you think someone handed the poor thing to the new studio intern... or perhaps the janitor! (Apologies to interns and janitors!) But sometimes, especially in more recent times, you finally get a clean copy of something that had a blanket over it before.

Does that help?

The dusting off and presentation work they did in 2012 would be wonderful to finally hear for Animals (and the rest of the catalog while we're at it). We only got Dark Side and WYWH so far for the stereo mixes. I'd like to hear what JG does with a 5.1 mix too. Could be amazing.

OK, not just an inflatable pig. They need one of those CO2 cartridges (but with He) rigged to the box lid. BANG! Huge inflatable pig in your room! (Disks flying everywhere. Light fixtures breaking...)
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2018-07-18 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    The dusting off and presentation work they did in 2012 would be wonderful to finally hear for Animals (and the rest of the catalog while we're at it). We only got Dark Side and WYWH so far for the stereo mixes.
    Meddle and Division Bell too.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,055 Times in 67 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Meddle and Division Bell too.
    Meddle was either supposed to be an 'ear bleeder' master or it was an unfortunate mistake. We've talked about this... But that's why I didn't name it FWIW.
    Division Bell isn't on my radar (as in I don't 'get' the music) so I can't comment.

Thanks

Thanks Jimfisheye for the details.

Ive read it twice and understand a little more.

Appreciate your time.

Cheers
    YYZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    OK, not just an inflatable pig. They need one of those CO2 cartridges (but with He) rigged to the box lid. BANG! Huge inflatable pig in your room! (Disks flying everywhere. Light fixtures breaking...)
    Hahaha! Maybe a water balloon filled with Roger's spit, and some beer bottles and trash left behind by fans from an actual 1977 concert, too. Authentic urinal cake from the bathrooms at Madison Square Garden...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    I have renewed hope today that this release will be more than just a standalone Blu-ray or SACD.
    And that raises my hopes too!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,364 Times in 68 Posts

I'd love to hear Flight From Reality...