Thread: Iphone video playback on Laptop

Thanks

Default Iphone video playback on Laptop

I recorder a portion of a concert, about 16 minutes worth, on my I phone SE. It plays back fine on the phone, but when I copy the file to my laptop, the video is choppy, stalls for a long time, and colors are distorted. Sound is OK. I've tried playing it with Windows Media Player and VLC, all have the same issue. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JC90125 View Post
    I recorder a portion of a concert, about 16 minutes worth, on my I phone SE. It plays back fine on the phone, but when I copy the file to my laptop, the video is choppy, stalls for a long time, and colors are distorted. Sound is OK. I've tried playing it with Windows Media Player and VLC, all have the same issue. Any suggestions ?
    which settings did you used to record that video? did you shot some slow-mo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mal700 View Post
    which settings did you used to record that video? did you shot some slow-mo?
    I don't think so. Like I said, it plays fine all the way thru on the phone, just when I copied it to my laptop it turned to crap.

Thanks

I don't think so. Like I said, it plays fine all the way thru on the phone, just when I copied it to my laptop it turned to crap.
    that's why I asked which settings you used for record it, because in iPhone or in Mac every video plays fine because device contain suitable codecs to play video smoothly, but sometimes videos doesn't play well in computers,

do you have quick time player?
    if no, download and try to play with it.

was your other videos played well in same computer?

thank you.
    Last edited by Mal700; 2018-09-11 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mal700 View Post
    that's why I asked which settings you used for record it, because in iPhone or in Mac every video plays fine because device contain suitable codecs to play video smoothly, but sometimes videos doesn't play well in computers,

do you have quick time player?
    if no, download and try to play with it.

was your other videos played well in same computer?

thank you.
    Yes...shorter videos play fine. Could it be due to the large file size ? I'll try that, but isn't VLC a more powerful media player ?

Thanks

Yes...shorter videos play fine. Could it be due to the large file size ? I'll try that, but isn't VLC a more powerful media player ?
    No I don't think it's due to larger file size because I shot some long videos on my iPhone in the past but worked fine in both phone and the computer.

VLC is the most popular media player in the world, there are lot of benefits from it because it's free and it support lot of codecs but it isn't the most powerful media player in the world, vlc often laggy when playing high resolution videos like 4k/blu ray/1080p HDR etc.. and also HEVC x265 file format.

But Still VLC is my favorite media player.

the reason I told you to use Quick time because it's the Apple's media player by default , so, many videos shot on apple devices play better on Quick time.
    Last edited by Mal700; 2018-09-11 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,077 Times in 67 Posts

What's the format of the file? m4v? mp4? mov? qt? other?

I'd expect something like Windows Media Player to not do much useful but VLC usually plays everything. I've only had problems with surround audio in formats other than 2.0 or 5.1 with VLC. Did you try Quicktime Player? Heh, can you play it in Reaper?

Or is this all a red herring and the issue is computer related? Something running hogging resources and just coincidental with trying to play a new file format for the first time?

Thanks

Looks like I shot the video in 4K. Is there software that can convert the format to a smaller file size ? (Preferably a free one)

Thanks

FWIW, I've never had a problem playing 4K with VLC, SMplayer, etc., so I'm unsure what the problem is with your particular system, unless maybe it has an underpowered CPU or inadequate RAM.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Downloaded software called AVC and it converted it to a playable format.