Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd Plans for 2019+

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Concerning the Mothers recordings: Is the person who has them holding onto them for copyright or legal reasons? I thought the owner was trying to sell them, and he got pissed when dealing with someone who was a little overly eager or something. Would be cool to hear that stuff one day whatever the case. It's one of a handful of things from the early days that is not out, that's known to exist anyway. It's unrelated, but fingers crossed that that 1971 Santa Monica soundboard pops up one day, too.
    From what I remember he wanted money for them ,maybe too much,and like you said he felt like he was being harassed or something.I would love to hear a better version of I Overdrive from that show,the mp3 is great but an upgrade would be awesome,I assume if the Floyd had it the EY box would have had it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmrw View Post
    I think you already know that the original films as shot by the cameras of "Live at Pompeii" where simply lost. The only way to make an HD of it is to scan a copy of the final master of the film who was in the cinemas at the time (at least one copy exist).
    As for "The Wall" concert film, we don´t know if the entire concert was filmed, or just parts of it (intended to be inserted in The Wall movie, by Alan Parker).

Cheers, Eckoes!
    I saw the restored Pompeii movie, restored in 2k, presented by Adrian Maben himself, in Montreal. It was the 1974 cut, sourced from what I think was an interpositive but I might be wrong. It looked and sounded gorgeous, he told us he waited the legal go-ahead from Universal to distribute it in video. Never happened. But the product is finished, paid, delivered. Even the full Paris Black&White documentary was restored, we saw it too. 40 minutes bonus film, ready too, but once again not released.

As for The Wall, Parker crew filmed in 35mm the whole show, Roger edited it back in 2010, people saw it and even commented on it in interviews. It's finished, ready to go, but once again it is shelved.

It's really a shame to know that this band has two concert ready to be released in HD, shot in 35mm, from two different era, but its not going to be released
    Last edited by Eckoes; 2018-09-14 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks

But we got White of the Eye!
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

Thanks
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 44 Posts

We'd probably get a Blu Ray release of The Body before any of those other Floyd projects get a release.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I've been wondering about that. If they don't put out some kind of copyright-preservation release next year, I believe that gives the guy with the Mothers tapes a green light to release at least some of it (the parts not on Ummagumma, I suppose).
    I have a little bit of info regarding the Mothers tapes from April 1969.
    Rolf rented a house in London for the duration of the Waters Wall shows in
    2011. The two of us spent many hours compiling a list of recordings that we
    believed to exist and how we might tackle the issue of obtaining copies.
    As we had time in London the Mothers tapes were high on the agenda.
    Rolf and I had previously contacted various collectors and friends to see if we
    could put together a bid, but this came to nothing as there were questions over
    who would keep the original tapes, not an issue with Rolf or I but important to some,
    and who would negotiate with the owner. I offered my services but they were
    rejected so Rolf and I withdrew and decided on our own course of action.
    The owner of the original multitracks had been quoted a ridiculous value by an
    auction house, or so we were led to believe. His intention was
    to see if he could garner enough interest from potential punters and issue a
    run of CDs, hence the website and mp3 samples. He was bombarded with messages
    saying that ‘music should be free’ etc.
    It was then that he decided to rethink his plans and leave them for his son to sell
    in the future, copyright being a major stumbling block.
    No monetary value was ever finalised at this point. An offer was made to the owner
    but we never received an answer having made several further attempts at contact.
    One thing that may be of interest is that the reel containing Set The Controls appears to
    be missing from the photographs and the samples provided by the owner.
    To the best of my knowledge the Floyd themselves don’t have the recording anymore,
    the two shows from Mothers and Manchester were mixed down to ¼ inch tape and the
    Manchester College of Commerce still survives without the vocals.
    The recording that was posted on this site with the dubbed on vocals is from
    Manchester with the exception of Saucerful which is from the Mothers show.
    The Ummagumma version of Saucerful being a composite of Manchester and Mothers.
    The story does not end there as a result of more investigation a ¼ inch tape of the
    Mothers show was discovered about three months after Rolf’s passing,
    This came from a completely separate and unexpected pursuit of a recording of
    the Dunstable November 1969 show. AFAIK the tapes were acquired by a
    European collector for a rather princely sum. It would be nice to think that the
    Floyd themselves would release recordings from both shows if they still have them
    but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordsnooty View Post
    Rolf rented a house in London for the duration of the Waters Wall shows in
    2011. The two of us spent many hours compiling a list of recordings that we
    believed to exist and how we might tackle the issue of obtaining copies.
    As we had time in London the Mothers tapes were high on the agenda.
    Rolf and I had previously contacted various collectors and friends to see if we
    could put together a bid, but this came to nothing as there were questions over
    who would keep the original tapes, not an issue with Rolf or I but important to some,
    and who would negotiate with the owner. I offered my services but they were
    rejected so Rolf and I withdrew and decided on our own course of action.
    The owner of the original multitracks had been quoted a ridiculous value by an
    auction house, or so we were led to believe. His intention was
    to see if he could garner enough interest from potential punters and issue a
    run of CDs, hence the website and mp3 samples. He was bombarded with messages
    saying that ‘music should be free’ etc.
    It was then that he decided to rethink his plans and leave them for his son to sell
    in the future, copyright being a major stumbling block.
    No monetary value was ever finalised at this point. An offer was made to the owner
    but we never received an answer having made several further attempts at contact.
    One thing that may be of interest is that the reel containing Set The Controls appears to
    be missing from the photographs and the samples provided by the owner.
    To the best of my knowledge the Floyd themselves don’t have the recording anymore,
    the two shows from Mothers and Manchester were mixed down to ¼ inch tape and the
    Manchester College of Commerce still survives without the vocals.
    The recording that was posted on this site with the dubbed on vocals is from
    Manchester with the exception of Saucerful which is from the Mothers show.
    The Ummagumma version of Saucerful being a composite of Manchester and Mothers.
    The story does not end there as a result of more investigation a ¼ inch tape of the
    Mothers show was discovered about three months after Rolf’s passing,
    This came from a completely separate and unexpected pursuit of a recording of
    the Dunstable November 1969 show. AFAIK the tapes were acquired by a
    European collector for a rather princely sum. It would be nice to think that the
    Floyd themselves would release recordings from both shows if they still have them
    but I'm not holding my breath.
    Wow,that's for all the info.I know hoarders are looked down upon but at this point in my life I don't care who makes a ton of money by releasing it,just take my$14.99 for a CD so I can enjoy whats available.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    Roger confirmed that the cameras "kept rolling." The entire thing was shot by Parker's crew and Waters was working on an edit leading up to The Wall tour in 2010. I've spoken to at least 2 people who have seen it.
    Interesting! Any chance to get a better release of the videotaped 1980 shows? At least in the lost documentary quality level.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordsnooty View Post
    Far more than a little bit! Thank you, lordsnooty, for that exceedingly informative post. Fascinating (and reassuring) to know that an additional copy of the Mothers show has survived, and Manchester as well.

Is the surviving Manchester tape a mixdown meant for overdubbing -- in other words, with the live vocals muted so they could be overdubbed with studio vocals? I've never been clear on whether the band actually failed to record the vocals at Manchester, or just decided to redo some or all of the vocals in the studio.

I'm remembering how Wright called Manchester "a really bad gig but as the recording equipment was working really well, we had to use it", whereas at Mothers "the [recording] equipment didn't work". I'm guessing that refers to the audible distortion on the Mothers tape (or the excerpts we have), which would have made most of it unusable.

Has there ever been any sign of the Bromley recording, or has that one vanished? If the recording wasn't deemed usable, it wouldn't be at all unusual for a band to have simply reused the tape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eckoes View Post
    I saw the restored Pompeii movie, restored in 2k, presented by Adrian Maben himself, in Montreal. It was the 1974 cut, sourced from what I think was an interpositive but I might be wrong. It looked and sounded gorgeous, he told us he waited the legal go-ahead from Universal to distribute it in video. Never happened. But the product is finished, paid, delivered. Even the full Paris Black&White documentary was restored, we saw it too. 40 minutes bonus film, ready too, but once again not released.

As for The Wall, Parker crew filmed in 35mm the whole show, Roger edited it back in 2010, people saw it and even commented on it in interviews. It's finished, ready to go, but once again it is shelved.

It's really a shame to know that this band has two concert ready to be released in HD, shot in 35mm, from two different era, but its not going to be released
    I´m sorry if this was already said in another forum...

Anyway, I can not believe it!! Such a shame...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Far more than a little bit! Thank you, lordsnooty, for that exceedingly informative post. Fascinating (and reassuring) to know that an additional copy of the Mothers show has survived, and Manchester as well.

Is the surviving Manchester tape a mixdown meant for overdubbing -- in other words, with the live vocals muted so they could be overdubbed with studio vocals? I've never been clear on whether the band actually failed to record the vocals at Manchester, or just decided to redo some or all of the vocals in the studio.

I'm remembering how Wright called Manchester "a really bad gig but as the recording equipment was working really well, we had to use it", whereas at Mothers "the [recording] equipment didn't work". I'm guessing that refers to the audible distortion on the Mothers tape (or the excerpts we have), which would have made most of it unusable.

Has there ever been any sign of the Bromley recording, or has that one vanished? If the recording wasn't deemed usable, it wouldn't be at all unusual for a band to have simply reused the tape.
    I couldn't really say if the lack of vocals on the Manchester tape is intentional or not, it would be interesting to know if the original multitracks were discarded in the same manner as the Mothers reels. The Bromley I've never been able to uncover any trace or reference to a recording, only a PRS form as to what was performed that night. Interestingly both the Bromley and the Mothers shows were advertised in Music Papers and local press as being 'recorded for a live album' but not the Manchester show.