Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish You Were Here Immersion...the worst they’ve dropped the ball.

Thanks

Default Wish You Were Here Immersion...the worst they’ve dropped the ball.

The extra material is great, but we know there was so much material there and we got a short track of wine glasses, a little fiddle, the boys struggling with Roy Harper’s iconic vocal, and finally a couple live tracks that fans like us have known for years and years. Of a couple songs best known for being on the following album.

So, what did we miss out on?

Most importantly, a complete version of SOYCD. The version on the Extraction Tapes is a couple minutes longer than the album version even though it’s missing multiple parts. No Gilmour solo during the first part of the song. The Clavinet part is severely shortened and Part XI is entirely missing while several parts that didn’t make it show up from time to time. We could easily get a 30+ minute version with enough different to make it worthwhile historically.

The demo for Welcome to the Machine is fantastic. Based mainly around that ominous low pitched synth, Roger handles vocals while Dave plays some talk box.

Bitter Love/How Do You Feel? is from this era.

Roger also mentions a song called Pawn to King Five in an interview from the time.

Also a song entitled Flight From Reality.

I have to wonder if they put any work into You Gotta Be Crazy and Raving and Drooling in the studio circa 74-75?
    At one point WYWH was gonna just be SOYCD, YGBC, and R&D. Stands to reason they would’ve worked on it a little bit. These would be more interesting than live versions when good copies of it live were already more than available. If you really want to release all of that Wembley Show, why not a stand-alone release of the show rather than stretching it out over DSOTM, WYWH, and the Early Years.

There’s also the extraction version of Have A Cigar, which is much looser and more “live in the room” than the version we got. We still get Roger and Dave doing Harper’s vocal, but we also get a raw version where the overdubbing of hi-hats is obvious. If nothing else, it’s a different mix.

There’s no way we have access to this information, these recordings and they don’t.

Instead, we got cleaned up live tracks we had, a violin solo, a minute of wine glasses, and some marbles.

Am I Crazy?
    Last edited by justinvavala; 2019-01-06 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks

I think both DSOTM and WYWH Immersions are fantastic as is.

Thanks

Obviously I’m very happy to have them. And I think the DSOTM immersion is SUPERB...as was the Wall.

But as it seems like a Later Years archival release is unlikely, I do feel like it was an opportunity that isn’t going to present itself again, most likely.

Pawn to King Five, Flight from Reality, and Bitter Love are no less likely to exist than Roger’s Boogie or Song 2. Those really came out of nowhere. And honestly, a mix/composit of the released Shine On and the additional parts from the Extraction Tapes May be my holy grail. Other than more recordings from the “Nothing parts 1-24” sessions. And the hoarded Ummagumma reels with Let There Be More Light, Green is the Colour, Improvisation, etc.

I know, I know...I’m being greedy, but in an ideal world Pawn to King Five would exist and blow my mind.

Thanks

Don’t suppose David Parker or anyone else knows if there are Recording Sheets from this era? I would really LOVE to know just what was recorded. Whether or not they took a swing at R&D and YGBC would be incredible to know.

And I wouldn’t discount some demoing of SOYCD. They demoed A LOT. And I used to think they wouldn’t demo something of that length and breadth, but we know there’s a bunch of tapes of “Nothings”. It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justinvavala View Post
    Don’t suppose David Parker or anyone else knows if there are Recording Sheets from this era? I would really LOVE to know just what was recorded. Whether or not they took a swing at R&D and YGBC would be incredible to know.
    Based on the "Wish You Were Here" EMI session details provided in Glenn Povey's "The Complete Pink Floyd", it seems they did not attempt any recordings of either "Raving and Drooling" or "You Gotta Be Crazy". As far as I know, the only attempted studio recordings of these songs were done during the initial "Animals" recording sessions (before they morphed into "Sheep" and "Dogs" of course).
    Last edited by stratcat58; 2019-01-08 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justinvavala View Post

Instead, we got cleaned up live tracks we had, a violin solo, a minute of wine glasses, and some marbles.

Am I Crazy?
    I have to agree completely. I'd take it one step further and say that I don't recall feeling that any of their archival releases are "generous" in any sense. They tend to leave me with that "where's the love" feeling, and frankly, I think my interest in the band has slipped at least a little for it. Just my feelings on it and not happy about that either.

Edit- In anticipation of being asked what is wrong with these sets, I would respond as follows-- why not just run complete tapes/recordings/session tapes right to the cd and sell them at a regular cd price? They artwork could be the recording session sheets, etc.. which would also confirm the complete nature of what is released. Instead we have fragmented bits pasted together to make these products that need not necessarily be the final, best, most complete, etc...
    Last edited by sb33334; 2019-01-07 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks

well, I think that we all agree...

for "Dark Side Of The Moon" we got better stuff : a rough/early complete mix of "Dark Side Of The Moon" (after the underground Silent Sea "One Side Of The Moon" which makes a great companion for another alternate B face of Dark Side (title of this RoIO "The Great Gig In The Sky" it was a tribute to Rick Wright) so why not the complete "Shine On" suite which is fantastic and even with the saturation problem which is attenuate with Neonknight latest transfer; it's a pure bliss. The funky jam not edited just make sense. Some pieces are missing, such as David Gilmour opening guitar solo, and the final funeral dirge and the See Emily Play tribute, but we got instead 2 overdubbed different guitar solos. All of these is priceless and perhaps more interesting in terms of differences than the Dark Side Of The Moon rough mix.

The wine/glasses intro of Shine On (another track of the Household Object was interesting, but it sounds much more to illustrate the Shine On intro; I mean the first Household Object track was much more surprising (the one on Dark Side immersion)

The best version is the quadraphonic 4.0 original mix of Have A Cigar with the extra guitar bars.

Stephane Grappelli track is one of the highlight of the set, but there was a lot more in the vault :

"Welcome To The Machine" is essential and thanks to the community we have it : this is the first use of the voicebox by David Gilmour before "Animals" (Pigs 3DO, Sheep...) - and apparently the use of this "tool" seems to interest David Gilmour since he used it later on the Division Bell and AMLoR.
    The main track is more acoustic than the final version but with the use of the voicebox distorting the voice it sounds like something acoustic and pulsating like Tangerine Dream. It doesn't sound as cold and mechanical as the final version (which I still like) - more polished, whereas this early version titled "The Machine" was much more haunting, and so different to the original, that is very sad that they not release it on the immersion box set because all the interest of such alternate takes, is some real different material not a slightly different rough mix. And they had this sort of stuff, and this was polished enough and strong enough to please and surprise everyone. From the Pink Floyd fan who collect RoiO to the casual Pink Floyd who would buy this immersion box set.
    I mean this is the kind of rarities we are excepting.
    It shows that the Floyd were experiencing at this time (as much as during Meddle or Dark Side) trying new stuff. I wonder if they went to another direction because of Peter Frampton infamous use of the voicebox with his hit "Show Me The Way" (was it already released at that time of the WYWH sessions?)

On the other hand the Roger Waters demos for the Wall immersion were so short (about 30 seconds) that it doesn't make sense; at first I thought that it was some amazon samplers; not the complete tracks.

the most disappointing example is that we could have added an alternate studio take of "ECHOES" using the multitrack breakdown which reveals that the early/embryonic lyrics which are "echoing" to 2001: A Space Oddity are actually on the multitrack studio recording : It's so sad that "they" forgot for the EARLY YEARS box set that the BBC broadcast a few years ago at the time of the immersion promo through radio the studio breakdown of Echoes with piano without leslie effect and buried/but now revealed in the mix the alternate/embryonic lyrics of ECHOES "planets meeting face to face, etc..."
    too bad it's so short.
    This could have been the sort of rarities I was expecting on the EARLY YEARS box set (instead we got the promo quadraphonic mix of ECHOES; but an alternate mix using this multitrack breakdown could have been fantastic). Thus, unless, one day they are focusing on an "immersion" Meddle, this is a big missed opportunity.

Thanks

Agreed, would have loved more complete Roger demos on the Wall set. From my perspective, the audio on TEY that I actually needed fit onto 4 cdr-discs, I recall. I have no idea why they wouldn't just fill up some discs to provide more and put more out there for the fans. Is it just to hold things back to have something to sell later? Or is it the need to present something that is edited enough to be commercial? Or both?

Thanks

What's everyone's opinion on the SACD WYWH release mentioned on Brain Damage?
    https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...braindamage-20

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mekmad View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on the SACD WYWH release mentioned on Brain Damage?
    https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...braindamage-20
    it came out in 2011 as part of the "Why Pink Floyd?" campaign. This looks like a re release.