Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Earliest concert?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Great idea.
    Me and my wife can be seen in at least one shot on Gilmours Live at Pompeii film during Run Like Hell. That shot was also in the trailer 
    Nice! Spectacular ending, wasn't it? Actually, the whole show was. I made it on the cover (very small ofcourse, but identifiable) does that count?

Thanks

My first Pink Floyd concert was in Torino, July 7th, 1988. I remember that I had to buy the ticket to a bank office in a nearby town, and I was upset when realised that being among the first ones to buy the ticket, the seat was in an ugly location, right on the side of the stage... well, it did not matter in the end. That day I woke up early, I took a train and made my +300 km to arrive at the main train station around 12, then I walked to the old Comunale Stadium, the home of the Juventus footbal team at that time... Around 14 I was among the first ones at the gate entrance, the whole afternoon under a hot sun made me almost vanishing, but I managed to spend the hours talking with a group of young fans from Torino, a little older than me (I was 18 at the time). I remember the 3-4 guys were in company of gorgeous girls, and one of them had attended a Wall show in London in the summer of 1981. We discovers we had tickets in the same upper side sector of the stadium, but they had a better, more central place, so they invited me to join them once the gates opened around 19:00. We all took a different seat than the one indicated on the ticket, inviting all the newcomers to do the same, so it was a sort of anarchy, at least the first hour, untill a stiff middle age ugly guy started to madly scream, claiming his own seat... then a partial rearrangement was made, but we just shifted to still free seats, all in the same central side upper sector... then the whole stadium filled with people, it was the first Pink Floyd concert in almost 20 years and the expectation was immense. People sitting on the concrete stairs, people standing in the sidewalks, people everywhere, at that time no security measures taken at all, we higly exceed any safety maximum attendance... and at the first notes of Shine On a roar in the stadium welcomed the Floyd back to a country and people very affectionated to them... and that demonstrated his affection all over the years, tour after tour, solo members included...
    While the Torino ticket was paid with my sparse savings, I had a brilliant idea to get a second concert one week later, when they were playing in Nice, just 40 km from my hometown. This date was put much later than Torino, I already had my ticket for that concert, so in order to join all my classmates who decided in the end to attend the Nice concert, I made a smart deal with my parents: if I got the maximum grades in my final secondary school exam, which would allow me to get an almost tax-free first year at the University, I would ask as a gift a PF Nice ticket. And so it was, I was lucky that the scores were published just in time to still get a ticket, as also the Nice concert was sold out, at least half of the tickets to Italians fans, as Nice is close to the Italian border...
    This concert was fine, and I was in company of my close friends, but the warm feel of the Torino audience in awe was not replicated, and maybe also a feeling of deja-vu...
    The summer ended with me catching the boot LPs of the Italian tour, I managed to get hold on the Torino, Modena and Rome Lps, all incomplete, but that what was available at that time, and still pretty happy to get such an aural souvenirs...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 115 Posts

1st concert was Gary Numan Preston Guild Hall 1980. 1st Pink Floyd related was Roger Waters Birmingham NEC 1984 and 1st and only Pink Floyd was Manchester Maine Rd 1988.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pelino View Post
    My first Pink Floyd concert was in Torino, July 7th, 1988...
    Torino was actually July 6th, 1988... and it was my first Pink Floyd concert too! Having missed the previous chance to attend a Floyd concert (Zurich, Feb. 1977 was the nearest location outside Italy. Too late I discovered that a bus travel from my hometown had been organized, unfortunately it was sold out), I bought my ticket months before in presale. 1988 was a special year for me: in April was born my son, now I was going to see the band live for the first time!
    The rather large Stadio Comunale was full. I remember the threat of a thunderstorm at the opening of Shine On... It was a very nice show (obviously I saw it with the excitement of the first time) which I followed up just two days later attending both nights, 8 & 9 July, at the smaller Stadio Braglia in Modena.
    Careful53
    was in Torino,Modena,Verona,Monza,Lausanne,Venezia 1988/89 - Torino,Modena,Roma 1994 - DG Milano,Venezia 2006, Verona 2015/16 - RW Verona,Lucca,Assago 2006/7, Assago 2011, Padova 2013, Assago,Lucca 2018. First live experience: Le Orme 1972. Early big concert attendances: King Crimson Torino 1973, Genesis Torino 1974/75, Traffic Torino 1974, Gentle Giant Torino 1975...
    See you on The Final Lunacy! (Pink Floyd live documentary) at http://www.final-lunacy.it and follow my collector's activity through http://www.thelunatics.it

Thanks

First floyd related RW P&C 1984 Stockholm ( first gig on that tour)
    First PF 1988 Copenhagen Gentofte stadion, great night with a very relaxed band and audience 😎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    That's hilarious, kbrubaker, and enviable too!

A question: a friend of mine also attended one of the Philadelphia 1977 shows. I'm pretty sure it was the 1977-06-29 concert on the next day, as he does specifically remember Waters not coming out for the encore. Just by way of confirmation, do you have any memory one way or the other about Roger's presence/absence at your show?

Fingers crossed that an audience tape of 1977-06-28 shows up someday. Philly shows are always such a mess -- literally every single one seems to require splicing together of different sources, or incomplete recorders, or mismatched bits and pieces, or we only have tiny fragments (as in 1972/1973), or it's that one day was taped but the other one mysteriously wasn't, or...
    Sorry for the delayed response Goldenband! Roger was in fine form the first night in Philly, and gave no indication that he was feeling ill during the show. He definitely performed the encores (Both Money and Us and Them, by the way. Some sources incorrectly cite Money as the sole encore on the 28th). One of my sister's friends also went the following night and mentioned that the pig became stuck for a while. Please do keep your fingers crossed that a tape will surface someday! It's hard to believe that nobody managed to get a deck into the Spectrum. The person who supplied us with our tickets was a huge fan, and had purchased the entire section of seats where we sat. I've always thought that someone with the resources to buy an entire section of seats should have been able to arrange for a recording. Unfortunately, I'm not in contact with this individual or anyone who might be able to ask him. For anyone who feels like digging, I posted photos of the three T shirts sold at the show on Yeeshkul's companion Facebook page.

Thanks

Nassau Coliseum, 2/28/80. This was the last time Dave and Roger stood on a stage together in the USA, as far as I know.

My first ever concert was the band Boston in Hartford CT, 5/3/77. In theory I could have made an Animals show in NYC or Boston, but for one I was not quite clued in to the Floyd yet, and for two it is unlikely my parents would have supported the idea had I suggested it. In any case, I was unaware the shows were even happening. So no Animals for me.

While The Wall in 1980 was great and spectacular, I feel like the Waters Total Re-Wall in 2010 was in many ways better. This is because technology had finally caught up with his vision, and the presentation was much better at those later shows.

That said, glad I got to see the Big Four members on the same stage, if just by the skin of my teeth.
    Floyd First Since 1978

Thanks

My first year of attending concerts

1973-03-10 Leon Russell - Tampa Stadium
    1973-03-24 Santana - Tampa Stadium
    1973-05-05 Led Zeppelin - Tampa Stadium
    1973-06-16 Deep Purple, Savoy Brown, Blue Oyster Cult, Z Z Top, Family - Tampa Stadium
    1973-06-29 Pink Floyd - Tampa Stadium - poor boy's never been the same
    1973-07-28 "Summer Jam" The Band, Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead - Watkins Glen, New York
    1973-09-22 Jethro Tull, Livingston Taylor - Bayfront Center Arena
    1973-10-12 Joe Walsh and Barnstorm, Slade, REO Speedwagon - Cutis Hixson Auditorium
    1973-11-08 Mountain, Foghat Curtis Hixson Auditorium
    1973-11-18 ELP - Curtis Hixson Auditorium
    1973-12-09 Allman Brothers Band - Tampa Stadium
    Last edited by vegetated; 2021-09-25 at 11:06 PM.
    "for duty and humanity"

Moses Horowitz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vegetated View Post

1973-06-16 Deep Purple, Savoy Brown, Blue Oyster Cult, Z Z Top, Family - Tampa Stadium
    1973-07-28 "Summer Jam" The Band, Allman Brothers Band, The Grateful Dead - Watkins Glen, New York
    1973-10-12 Joe Walsh and Barnstorm, Slade, REO Speedwagon - Cutis Hixson Auditorium
    Now THAT is a fantastic first year!!!
    Sitting in my english Garden, waiting for the Sun

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vegetated View Post

Simply jealous, man!
    Did you try to tape any of these shows, depsite we got multiple recordings from these gigs?