Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Earliest concert?

Thanks

My first Floyd related show was on my birthday and a last minute affair. June 6, 1984 David Gilmour at Pine Knob Music Theater near Detroit. Was just a little too young to see The Wall shows; parents were not going to let 13 year old me go to the L or R coast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    April 22, 1977. Miami Baseball Stadium.
    Oh my god. I shakes me thinking about having the experience of a real 77 show. Man!

For me it was cologne 88 (89?).

I was by myself and it was gorgeous even the bass almost deconstructed the stadium….

Nils

Thanks

I only saw Pink Floyd once in 2005 at Live-8. I bought the tickets from my cousin at an extortionate rate and went along with my wife... just to see PF.

Did I 'see' Pink Floyd play? That's a good question because (unless you had slightly better tickets) all the vast majority of the attendees saw (us included) were these tiny stick figures far off in the distance. Sure, it was quite moving at times, the sound was great, but that's because we also had these great big screens to view it all on. But then that begs the question, why not just watch it at home if all you're going to do is look at a big monitor screen?

Looking back, aside from Floyd and The Who (who I'd seen a couple of times previously in normal gig environments) I still reel at how many terrible bands played that day. I mean most of them... This was nothing like Live-Aid - and it lacked any of the magnitude of that original concert 'event'. It felt like a much (much) poorer cousin, if you will.

It's strange but I think I felt happier just knowing they were all getting on - and on the same stage performing together - rather than being blown away by the performance... if that makes any sense.

If I had a time-machine I would have gone back to see 'The Man, The Journey' suite - that's the Floyd I really like. I'm glad I saw them (all four of them, that is) but it wasn't the amazing event it was painted out to be. It's almost as though the 'reunion' aspect overshadowed everything else, if that makes any sense? Which is why a proper tour with all 4 members would have been much more significant (if u ask me) But that never came to be...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by montymole View Post
    I only saw Pink Floyd once in 2005 at Live-8. I bought the tickets from my cousin at an extortionate rate and went along with my wife... just to see PF.

Did I 'see' Pink Floyd play? That's a good question because (unless you had slightly better tickets) all the vast majority of the attendees saw (us included) were these tiny stick figures far off in the distance. Sure, it was quite moving at times, the sound was great, but that's because we also had these great big screens to view it all on. But then that begs the question, why not just watch it at home if all you're going to do is look at a big monitor screen?

Looking back, aside from Floyd and The Who (who I'd seen a couple of times previously in normal gig environments) I still reel at how many terrible bands played that day. I mean most of them... This was nothing like Live-Aid - and it lacked any of the magnitude of that original concert 'event'. It felt like a much (much) poorer cousin, if you will.

It's strange but I think I felt happier just knowing they were all getting on - and on the same stage performing together - rather than being blown away by the performance... if that makes any sense.

If I had a time-machine I would have gone back to see 'The Man, The Journey' suite - that's the Floyd I really like. I'm glad I saw them (all four of them, that is) but it wasn't the amazing event it was painted out to be. It's almost as though the 'reunion' aspect overshadowed everything else, if that makes any sense? Which is why a proper tour with all 4 members would have been much more significant (if u ask me) But that never came to be...
    Oh man I'd love to be able to go back and see some of the more obscure shown in 1969 and 1970, they really did so e great experimentation in those years!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 41 Posts

earliest PF gig?

actually my earliest was also the only PF gig I've ever attended.

I had wished to go to Cava Dei Tirreni in may 1989 (about 300-350 Km north of here) but I was only 16 and my parents didn't allow me to go there and see the gig.

But (and I didn't even know that but I discovered it some time later) , my older brother who was at university at Naples back then, went to Cava Dei Tirreni and I have his ticket stub here.

While, finally, a few years later it happened that in year 1994 I was at university in Torino and so I could enjoy their great show there in Torino on sept 13th 1994.
    Funny that it's one of those gigs we have both the soundboard audio and more different videos around, then I could refresh my memories about it in any possible ways.

A really nice thing/surprise, at least for myself, at that gig...
    One of my favourite floyd songs is Astronomy Domine and, back then, I didn't just know they used to play AD again after more than 20 years that song simply disappeared from their gigs setlists.
    So, when going there to the gig, I sort of hoped they played AD but while knowing that wasn't going to happen.
    I remember we entered the venue like a couple hours before the start of the show and, when the show did start (at about 9:00 PM if i remember correctly) there still was some daylight.
    There was some background music coming from the P.A., not floyd music, and improvisely I start to hear the very beginning of AD like it plays on the Piper album (that part with the recorded voices at the beginning) and, being just the studio version, I thought it was just fine that they were playing the song in the P.A. while waiting for the actual gig to start, better than nothing! Don't forget there was still some daylight and the stage lights were still off.
    BUT, when it was the moment for the drums to chime in into the song, the lights turned on and, HEY, it was live music and not a simple recording played on the P.A. system!

Basicly, that was just the song I wished they played the most and they started the gig with it! WOW!

Of course, the rest of the gig was pure enjoyment too... and, yes, I was also really drunk!

EDIT: quickly checking the video at youtube, it seems there wasn't much daylight at that moment, though... must have been really drunk and maybe I had the daylight into my brain only but, hey, the surprise of hearing that song was amazing.
    But, compared to the video, I seem to remember the part with the same sounds and those recorded voices at very beginning like on Piper album started a bit before than on the video and maybe they also lasted a bit, before the band actually started to play.
    EDIT n2: And, yes, the soundboard source with no video starts with the recorded sounds like a couple minutes before the live band chimes in.

Never happened to attend a floyd or floyd-related gig again and, the experience was SO nice that, returned home after the gig, I tried to listen to some PF albums and, weirdly, found them being uninvolving... then, from sept. 14th 1994 I simply started my PF black-out while I didn't listen to any PF music at all for about 12 years until I finally found this forum in year 2006 and restarted listening to PF again!
    The memories of the gig had faded a bit and their music listened at home was as exciting as it ever used to be before attending that Torino gig.

Cheers,

Vince.
    Last edited by vince666; 2021-09-17 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danno99 View Post
    Hey all,
    My first post here. I'm curious what was the earliest Pink Floyd concert you've ever been to?
    I never saw the complete band in concert, but my older brother did.
    I did see the Radio Kaos show, and that's as close as I came to seeing the real deal.
    I also saw Queen in concert during the Day at the Races tour, which was my first concert, and I guess this just shows how old I am.
    Still loving the music.

Dan
    While I've never seen the Floyd live, I'm interested in YOUR first concert.
    Where and when did you see Queen? I love the day at the races tour!
    Sitting in my english Garden, waiting for the Sun

Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Oh man I'd love to be able to go back and see some of the more obscure shown in 1969 and 1970, they really did so e great experimentation in those years!
    Yes, it's a great time PF!

But for myself personally, I would push the limits to 1967-1972.

To understand the current situation in the work and between the group members.

Transfer Syd to our time!

With proper care and supervision, he would quickly get used to it and begin to create masterpieces?

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

My first solo was Roger Waters 1985-04-06 Phoenix, AZ (Pros and Cons tour) and first Pink Floyd was 1988-04-25 (A.M.L.O.R tour) also Phoenix, AZ. I wanted to see them in Los Angeles for the Wall tour but lived hundreds of miles away and was a young teen, when I asked my parents for assistance they simply laughed and laughed.

Thanks

Countdown Club, 1965.

(I wish.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,394 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    Countdown Club, 1965.
    You too?!