Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Earliest concert?

Thanks

June 28, 1977, Philadelphia Spectrum! The first concert of my life, and one that's never been surpassed. My older sister's boyfriend went dressed as Uncle Sam wearing red, white, and blue overalls, which prompted me to wear my old boy scout uniform. he looked cool, I looked like a dork. We sat in the right balcony and were close to Roger and Rick. I think it was coincidence, but a pink spot illuminated Rog at the line "Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"

Thanks
    Thanked 35,782 Times in 430 Posts

Wish I was with kbrubaker Wembley Stadium, Friday 5 August 1988 for me. It confirmed that I couldn't stand MLOR but there were some good bits, and we all seemed particularly pleased with the pig. One of my compact camera snaps.

Scan 4.jpg

Thanks

Hi Neon - youve made clear your dislike (or less appreciation) of the later years, i love 1977 where do you cut off ?
    Last edited by herring8; 2021-09-19 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,537 Times in 99 Posts

I could have gone to the Goffertpark Nijmegen show in 1989 but declined. No regrets there as I never liked post Waters Pink Floyd, they leave me completely cold. I saw Roger Waters in Arnhem in May 2005. Nice show but it didn't make a very big impression on me, an enjoyable live show but nothing to get excited about. Unfortunately I was just a little too young to have attended one of their Rotterdam 1977 shows. Now that would have left a lasting impression on me I am sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 35,782 Times in 430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by herring8 View Post
    Hi Neon - you've made clear your dislike (or less appreciation) of the later years, i love 1977 where do you cut off ?
    I step off the bus on 6 July, 1977, herring8. Not wishing to sound too serious but the flame that made the band great never returned after that day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Wish I was with kbrubaker Wembley Stadium, Friday 5 August 1988 for me. It confirmed that I couldn't stand MLOR but there were some good bits, and we all seemed particularly pleased with the pig. One of my compact camera snaps.
    7/7/89, Docklands for me. Not the most exclusive of shows, but as a 16 year-old already obsessed with the band, it was a great experience. I do wish I'd caught Roger in November '87 but that was the year I got serious about the Floyd and I missed the tour by a matter of months.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbrubaker View Post
    June 28, 1977, Philadelphia Spectrum! The first concert of my life, and one that's never been surpassed. My older sister's boyfriend went dressed as Uncle Sam wearing red, white, and blue overalls, which prompted me to wear my old boy scout uniform. he looked cool, I looked like a dork. We sat in the right balcony and were close to Roger and Rick. I think it was coincidence, but a pink spot illuminated Rog at the line "Oh by the way, which one's Pink?"
    That's hilarious, kbrubaker, and enviable too!

A question: a friend of mine also attended one of the Philadelphia 1977 shows. I'm pretty sure it was the 1977-06-29 concert on the next day, as he does specifically remember Waters not coming out for the encore. Just by way of confirmation, do you have any memory one way or the other about Roger's presence/absence at your show?

Fingers crossed that an audience tape of 1977-06-28 shows up someday. Philly shows are always such a mess -- literally every single one seems to require splicing together of different sources, or incomplete recorders, or mismatched bits and pieces, or we only have tiny fragments (as in 1972/1973), or it's that one day was taped but the other one mysteriously wasn't, or...

Thanks

My first Floyd-related concert, not counting tribute bands, was Roger Waters in Budapest 2018.05.02. It was a bit of "I know the kind of thing I'm going to see, I will accept it and focus on the positive aspects," it matched my expectations and I did have a good time after all. I started so late because I only got deeply into Pink Floyd in late 2017. Before that, I just knew the most famous albums and tiny bits of history, and if the concert had been 1 year earlier I certainly wouldn't have cared enough to attend. Which is a pity, because I wish I had seen his Wall tour and especially David's Rattle tour. I would totally have flown to Pompeii and now I would count it as one of the best concerts of my life, probably (love Gilmour, love the kind of show he does and love the location).

The second and last so far was Nick in London's Roundhouse, 2019.05.04. I do count this as one of the top 10 concerts of my life, very far above Roger's, and I was delighted to see professional cameras around. Couldn't wait for the DVD, by now I've watched it several times and always enjoyed it immensely. Also found myself in several moments for example, you can see me raising the horns during "See Emily Play" (certain habits become automatic movements!).

Looking forward to more Nick next year, and hoping to have another chance to see David. Can't wait, or as both Spanish and Italians say, "I don't see the hour!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grilo do Demo View Post
    The second and last so far was Nick in London's Roundhouse, 2019.05.04. I do count this as one of the top 10 concerts of my life, very far above Roger's, and I was delighted to see professional cameras around. Couldn't wait for the DVD, by now I've watched it several times and always enjoyed it immensely. Also found myself in several moments — for example, you can see me raising the horns during "See Emily Play" (certain habits become automatic movements!).
    You're on the DVD? That's awesome, sounds like a new thread here: "Post your first appearance on an album or DVD!"

Edit: My first and only appearance is part of the audience cheering on Astronomy Domine (the live B-side single to Take it Back, recorded live at the first show of the Division Bell tour in Miami). But your DVD credit is more impressive!
    Last edited by DaveTheRave; 2021-09-21 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    You're on the DVD? That's awesome, sounds like a new thread here: "Post your first appearance on an album or DVD!"

Edit: My first and only appearance is part of the audience cheering on Astronomy Domine (the live B-side single to Take it Back, recorded live at the first show of the Division Bell tour in Miami). But your DVD credit is more impressive!
    Great idea.
    Me and my wife can be seen in at least one shot on Gilmours Live at Pompeii film during Run Like Hell. That shot was also in the trailer 🙂