Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is your 2nd favorite band is pink Floyd first?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 74 Posts

Question Who is your 2nd favorite band is pink Floyd first?

For me Pink Floyd number 1 Fletcher Henderson second

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCE338 View Post
    For me Pink Floyd number 1 Fletcher Henderson second
    I love good music. I cannot narrow it down to a single genre let alone band I own and listen to more Floyd/Waters than anything else but that is because it has been in my life the longest. One day Pink Floyd is my favourite, the next it is an MC from 9 miles down the road spittin street poetry over a horrorcore beat constructed from a recycled 1950's love song. Today I am visiting the ambient house listening to the Orb and KLF, tonight it might be Mad-chester with The Smiths, The Mondays, The Roses etc... The world is your lobster. Man I love music!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,622 Times in 109 Posts

I guess Pink Floyd must be my favorite band because no matter how badly I burn myself out with them from time to time (like at present) I keep going back. There's still buried treasure to uncover in the live recordings too. (And not just surround sound remnants.) King Crimson, Yes, Hawkwind, Tull, Genesis, ELP... These all seem to stay in rotation. How about all those Steve Wilson 5.1 remixes!

The forum activity recently suggests I may not be the only one in a burn out period either. Of course some of the old guard keep moving on to the great gig in the sky.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2019-02-13 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,903 Times in 94 Posts

I'm in a pretty extended burn out period, haven't listened to much Floyd in over a year. It works in cycles with me and I know it will return eventually, in the meantime I do keep a hand in because I never totally disengage. Currently I'm more or less re-discovering Jimi Hendrix, I used to listen a lot to his music when I was a teenager but not much since, next month I may be listening to Van Der Graaf Generator, 60s Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Joy Division, The Byrds, Genesis, Grant Lee Buffalo, to name just a few lol

I can't really say I have one favourite band, it's probably a toss up between Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and the band I've known and loved from early childhood, The Beatles.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,958 Times in 144 Posts

Wow, this is tough. I always have a foot and at least half an arm in Floyd. There's always some burnout but that's why the live stuff is so great. I have so many 2nd favorites I hate to put one above another. I have to say that the only other band I really get deep into with live shows would be the Grateful Dead, there's nothing like some live Dead when they're in the zone, it's magical.

If I had to choose one, I suppose it might be the Dead. My runner ups would be...

Zeppelin
    Skynyrd
    Hendrix/Band of Gypsy's
    Rush
    Steely Dan
    Supertramp
    The Allman's
    Doors
    Who

I I'll stop because it's getting ridiculous and I could keep going
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
    I'm in a pretty extended burn out period, haven't listened to much Floyd in over a year. It works in cycles with me and I know it will return eventually, in the meantime I do keep a hand in because I never totally disengage. Currently I'm more or less re-discovering Jimi Hendrix, I used to listen a lot to his music when I was a teenager but not much since, next month I may be listening to Van Der Graaf Generator, 60s Stones, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Joy Division, The Byrds, Genesis, Grant Lee Buffalo, to name just a few lol

I can't really say I have one favourite band, it's probably a toss up between Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and the band I've known and loved from early childhood, The Beatles.
    I find it slightly strange how many staunch Pink Floyd Fans are also big Beatles fans. I have loved them both the longest but I just thought it was because I got it from both my Dad (Floyd) and Mam (Beatles). Apart from the fact they are both British 60's groups and a couple of parallels in the band dynamics, they are musically very different animals. I am addicted to both, must hear any rarity going and thankfully still get fresh releases from the labels and via this and the BZ forums.

Led Zep, Jethro Tull and Genesis are a few that often go hand in hand with PF and if you add Fleetwood Mac to that list 90% of my childhood soundtrack is represented

A lot of Floyd fans have recommended King Crimson to me but I can honestly say I have never heard them or ever listened to them. They were in my dads record collection (so in mine somewhere now) but I had a possible misconception that they were a heavy rock band from an early age and have steered clear since. I see a lot of KC stuff gets posted here so I may have a gander at what all the fuss is about. I thought my old man was just choosing his music based on colour through the 60's/70's... Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Cream and Yello to name a few

One artist my Dad was slightly obsessed with that I have never heard anyone even mention let alone recommend is a Japanese fella called 'Tomita', he had a few coloured vinyl's with some of the trippiest album art you have ever seen in his collection. I Think it is experimental 80's electronica? in a similar vein to Jeff Wayne, Jean Michael Jarre and Mike Oldfield. Never heard it in decades but I remember it sounded absolutely out of this world on his system. Man I wish he was here to hear some of these audience recordings and re-masters through a digital system.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,622 Times in 109 Posts

According to the number of live recordings I have, Pink Floyd is first and King Crimson is second.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 42 Posts

That's an easier way to call it than trying to work out 'favourites'. There are bands I love that I haven't got hooked on their live stuff. I think this list defines the real keepers though...

#1 Floyd
    #2 Ozric Tentacles
    #3 The Byrds
    #4 Marillion
    #5 Soft Machine

Thanks
    Thanked 4,077 Times in 182 Posts

PF number one of course, always.... Just give it try Dead Can Dance...The leader was inspired by Syd Barrett. Saw some songs of brend new tour of Brendan Perry, he still loves old PF, you can feel it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJp0...p_VtXI-h2dVeac
    ....And the last album of DCD...so many old Floyds there. I susspect most of you know nothing about this band. They started to play in 1982, first album 1984. It is different one music but for those who know PF very well, you may find PF inspirations.
    Last edited by Jaraslesny; 2019-02-13 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    According to the number of live recordings I have, Pink Floyd is first and King Crimson is second.
    By that measurement I get Floyd, Beatles, Clapton, Lindisfarne & Steve Wilson, in that order and not much else. I can only tolerate a few bands live output otherwise I prefer the studio recordings.

Marilion is another group that has been recommended to me many times by Floyd heads that I have never explored. I often get put off by the commercial releases (Kayleigh in this case) and wrongly pre-judge the rest of the content based on that. I hate it when people do that to Floyd and cite ABITW as the reason they think Floyd are shite. I gave a mate Free CD and he complained because it had 'Alright Now' on it