Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is your 2nd favorite band is pink Floyd first?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,958 Times in 144 Posts

hmm... well, if I went in order of live stuff, I guess my order would be...

1 - Pink Floyd/Waters/Gilmour
    2 - Grateful Dead
    3 - The Doors

I have many favorite live albums too. This is also tough, really tough. Not counting Floyd and in no particular order (kind of)...

Live at the Fillmore (both nights) - The Allman Brothers Band
    Live at Leeds - The Who
    Live/Dead - Grateful Dead
    Live at the Fillmore (both nights) - Band of Gypsys
    BBC Sessions - Led Zeppelin
    Live Between Us - The Tragically Hip
    4 Way Street - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    Slip, Stitch, and Pass - Phish
    In Concert - The Doors
    Live at the Paramount - The Guess Who
    Last edited by buffalofloyd; 2019-02-13 at 11:52 PM.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    One artist my Dad was slightly obsessed with that I have never heard anyone even mention let alone recommend is a Japanese fella called 'Tomita', he had a few coloured vinyl's with some of the trippiest album art you have ever seen in his collection. I Think it is experimental 80's electronica? in a similar vein to Jeff Wayne, Jean Michael Jarre and Mike Oldfield. Never heard it in decades but I remember it sounded absolutely out of this world on his system. Man I wish he was here to hear some of these audience recordings and re-masters through a digital system.
    Perhaps SNOWFLAKES ARE DANCING is his most famous work. I can't say when I heard Tomita for the first time, I was a child and perhaps I heard it in a tv spot (I was born, grew up and currently live in little town in Colombia, hardly exposed to foreign music when I was child). When someone shared with me his collection of DVD-A, I was in shock when I heard SNOWFLAKES ARE DANCING by TOMITA, it took me to my childhood.

Marilion is another group that has been recommended to me many times by Floyd heads that I have never explored. I often get put off by the commercial releases (Kayleigh in this case) and wrongly pre-judge the rest of the content based on that. I hate it when people do that to Floyd and cite ABITW as the reason they think Floyd are shite. I gave a mate Free CD and he complained because it had 'Alright Now' on it
    You should give a try to MARILLION. I would recommend SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR and CLUTCHING AT STRAWS from Fish's era and BRAVE, MARBLES and FEAR from Hogarth's era, Kayleigh is not in any of these albums . (Next April I will be going from this little town in Colombia to Leicester to attend THE MARILLION WEEKEND and then Aylesbury to NICK MASON'S SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS).

To share my two 2nd favorite bands:

MARILLION
    CAMEL
    aka locombiano in pinkfloyd.cl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,698 Times in 74 Posts

Thanks for replies

Ive actually got somewhere Jethro Tull mastertape 74 show in Melbourne...

I used to have marillion and hawkwind albums in 80s

I will check out bands mentioned by everyone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saperoco View Post
    Perhaps SNOWFLAKES ARE DANCING is his most famous work. I can't say when I heard Tomita for the first time, I was a child and perhaps I heard it in a tv spot (I was born, grew up and currently live in little town in Colombia, hardly exposed to foreign music when I was child). When someone shared with me his collection of DVD-A, I was in shock when I heard SNOWFLAKES ARE DANCING by TOMITA, it took me to my childhood.

You should give a try to MARILLION. I would recommend SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR and CLUTCHING AT STRAWS from Fish's era and BRAVE, MARBLES and FEAR from Hogarth's era, Kayleigh is not in any of these albums . (Next April I will be going from this little town in Colombia to Leicester to attend THE MARILLION WEEKEND and then Aylesbury to NICK MASON'S SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS).

To share my two 2nd favorite bands:

MARILLION
    CAMEL
    I will give Marillion a shot, I googled em earlier and identified the Fish era as the place to start , I will also be checking out King Crimson and The Grateful Dead for the first time soon (Although I have heard bits from the latter).

Snowflakes are dancing, Kosmos, The Planets, Firebird, Bermuda Triangle, Grand Canyon and one with a tree shaped like a stag on the cover are the ones I can remember from his Tomita collection.
    Cheers,
    Rex.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,958 Times in 144 Posts

I will give Marillion a shot, I googled em earlier and identified the Fish era as the place to start , I will also be checking out King Crimson and The Grateful Dead for the first time soon (Although I have heard bits from the latter).

Snowflakes are dancing, Kosmos, The Planets, Firebird, Bermuda Triangle, Grand Canyon and one with a tree shaped like a stag on the cover are the ones I can remember from his Tomita collection.
    Cheers,
    Rex.
    I think it's pretty great you're gonna try out some Dead, some of the best music ever made IMO. A personal favorite of mine is the very early official Live/Dead album. Dark Star is amazing and also used in the film Zabriske Point in case you were unaware. St. Stephen>The Eleven is also incredible. You're lucky because they are the most recorded band in history and if you like soundboards... bingo.

Another gem is One from the Vaults, another official release from August 13, 1975. You'll discover your own favorites and favorite eras. I prefer the late 60's to 70's but by no means does that mean the 80's or 90's are no good, because they are.

You could spend the rest of your natural life listening to live Dead. It can seem overwhelming but also very rewarding if you dig it. The Dave's Picks series is excellent and never a bad place to start, after Live/Dead of course lol.

I could go on but I don't want to bore the non fans out there
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

1. Pink Floyd - now and always
    2. much more difficult .... toss up between Midnight Oil and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson

In fact the latter have been pushing the hell out of my listening habits in recent years, almost replacing the Floyd.

Nah .... never the Floyd.

Shine on!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    I think it's pretty great you're gonna try out some Dead, some of the best music ever made IMO. A personal favorite of mine is the very early official Live/Dead album. Dark Star is amazing and also used in the film Zabriske Point in case you were unaware. St. Stephen>The Eleven is also incredible. You're lucky because they are the most recorded band in history and if you like soundboards... bingo.

Another gem is One from the Vaults, another official release from August 13, 1975. You'll discover your own favorites and favorite eras. I prefer the late 60's to 70's but by no means does that mean the 80's or 90's are no good, because they are.

You could spend the rest of your natural life listening to live Dead. It can seem overwhelming but also very rewarding if you dig it. The Dave's Picks series is excellent and never a bad place to start, after Live/Dead of course lol.

I could go on but I don't want to bore the non fans out there
    Cheers Jim,

You read my mind here, I was gonna ask you for some recommendations. Yeah I know the stuff from ZP which is very nice and I notice a lot of the best PF tapers are DeadHeads so I imagine live Dead will be a comfortable place for me.

Thanks for the recommendations, I will start with the official live releases and maybe pick your brain again later.
    Rex.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phred68 View Post
    1. Pink Floyd - now and always
    2. much more difficult .... toss up between Midnight Oil and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson

In fact the latter have been pushing the hell out of my listening habits in recent years, almost replacing the Floyd.

Nah .... never the Floyd.

Shine on!
    Hey Phred.

You might appreciate the band linked earlier 'Dead Can Dance', I had a little look at them and they have obvious PF influences but their sound also put me in mind of Midnight Oil a little. They have a beautiful sound about them, have a link to Australia and use indigenous chants, instruments and sound samples from many cultures in a lot of their work. Quite enjoyable stuff that seems to go down well in Europe, especially Poland and Germany.
    Rex.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 48 Posts

1) The Beatles. Always.
    2) Pink Floyd / Babasonicos (argentine band, a great band. Beatles, Queen & Black Sabbath all in one band. I recommend you to listen to their 1996 album 'Dopadromo').
    3) Black Sabbath

That would be the bands i'd die if I don't listen to them often. All the mysteries of the universe are there. Then I love music in general, I love all kinds of music and thousands of bands. Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Metallica, Madness, The Specials, Zeppelin, Janis, The Doors, a lot of argentine bands you probably don't know, Red Hot Chili Peppers, a lot, a lot. All the life has music!

Last edited by gotta_be_crazy; 2019-02-14 at 02:43 PM.
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    1) The Beatles. Always.
    2) Pink Floyd / Babasonicos (argentine band, a great band. Beatles, Queen & Black Sabbath all in one band. I recommend you to listen to their 1996 album 'Dopadromo').
    3) Black Sabbath

That would be the bands i'd die if I don't listen to them often. All the mysteries of the universe are there. Then I love music in general, I love all kinds of music and thousands of bands. Oasis, Blur, Radiohead, Metallica, Madness, The Specials, Zeppelin, Janis, The Doors, a lot of argentine bands you probably don't know, Red Hot Chili Peppers, a lot, a lot. All the life has music!

Did you not know you have to like either Oasis or Blur... Much like you have to choose between The Beatles or The Stones.

Seriously though Noel Gallagher is the Lennon of the 90's/00's, His High Flying Birds are decent too (as are Damon Albarns Gorillaz) . Madness, Specials, The Jam and many similar Nutty boys hold a special place in my heart too. Only radio show I tune into these days is a weekly 'Beat Surrender' show on local radio that takes me back to my teens for a few hours.
    Last edited by Rex; 2019-02-14 at 03:07 PM.