Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is your 2nd favorite band is pink Floyd first?

Thanks

That's a really tough question.

To me music depends on how I feel, so it varies A LOT what I listen to.
    But I do have music I prefer to listen to more often.
    Pink Floyd has almost become a life style for me, but I don't really show it off. I very rarely wear a PF t-shirt (mostly when I go to related concerts), and I don't constantly post PF songs and pictures on Facebook etc.
    I collect Pink Floyd, I study them almost on a daily basis (by reading threads on various forums, reading books, listening to the music and generally trying to learn new stuff that I didn't know). I've been doing that for 20+ years now.
    But Pink Floyd is not always the music I prefer to listen to. I can go months and only listen to a song occasionally. And then I feel like listening to a certain album or era and I will do that intensely for a while, then maybe another era and another, and then I'll go for other music again. (LOL does that make sense? )

I do have a few other bands that I've been digging into quite entensely and concider them on the list of favourite bands.

The Doors and R.E.M. are two other groups that I've been digging into intensely and know quite a lot about.
    But really it's not possible for me to name my second favourite band or even a top 10 list, because tomorrow I might disagree LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    1a lot of argentine bands you probably don't know
    There are a lot of argentinian bands that deserve to be heard. I am not Argentinian but Latinamerican and I think Argentinian bands are the real fathers of rock in Spanish.

I love LA MÁQUINA DE HACER PÁJAROS and SERÚ GIRÁN. I will never tire of listening to them.
    aka locombiano in pinkfloyd.cl

Thanks
    Thanked 8,622 Times in 109 Posts

The first album I remember having as mine (via a prerecorded cassette release) was the Beatles Abby Road when I was maybe 5. Still love the 2nd half of their catalog. (Listening to an "oldies" station one day with the early Beatles along with the other drek played on the radio during the period really made it hit home how they took off at the beginning though!) But I really grew up with Black Sabbath. I didn't get turned on to Floyd until the last couple years of high school actually. Didn't cross circles until then. Dark Side and the couple Wall tracks on the radio were cool and all but it didn't become a religion until a newer friend turned me onto Piper and Meddle (in that order).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Did you not know you have to like either Oasis or Blur... Much like you have to choose between The Beatles or The Stones.

Seriously though Noel Gallagher is the Lennon of the 90's/00's, His High Flying Birds are decent too (as are Damon Albarns Gorillaz) . Madness, Specials, The Jam and many similar Nutty boys hold a special place in my heart too. Only radio show I tune into these days is a weekly 'Beat Surrender' show on local radio that takes me back to my teens for a few hours.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I always liked both, musically Blur is on a higher level but Oasis's lyrics go straight to the heart. Anyway you know to each his own. There's so much music and so many artists to listen to.
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saperoco View Post
    There are a lot of argentinian bands that deserve to be heard. I am not Argentinian but Latinamerican and I think Argentinian bands are the real fathers of rock in Spanish.

I love LA MÁQUINA DE HACER PÁJAROS and SERÚ GIRÁN. I will never tire of listening to them.
    Uff. Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, Invisible, Vox Dai, Manal, Pappo's Blues, Charly, Fito, Fabulosos Cadillacs, Soda Stereo!
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks

1. Pink Floyd

2. Hawkwind/Black Sabbath (Ozzy-era)

3. Therion/Tiamat

4. Celtic Frost/Pestilence

5. Kraftwerk, sure )

As well as many different artists and many different musical styles

All to remember...? Half a year =)
    Last edited by YASSHA; 2019-02-17 at 05:10 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChb...=dd&shelf_id=0

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 42 Posts

You might appreciate the band linked earlier 'Dead Can Dance'
    I like Dead Can Dance's earlier stuff, Aion, Serpent's Egg, Realm of the Dying Sun, Spleen and Ideal - the medieval / Arabic influenced period.
    It's extraordinarily well recorded as well. Sounds fantastic on big speakers through a decent system!

4AD was a fantastic label. I'm rather obsessed with Pale Saints as well, also on 4AD.

Thanks

Beatles, Grateful Dead, (not a band but) Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and Robert Wyatt's Soft Machine (in that order).

I concur with buffalofloyd above that Live/Dead is probably the most amazing 90 minutes of music ever committed to vinyl. When it first came out, I assumed it had been overdubbed because there was so much going on. But, no.....that's what they played. I'd also recommend Dick's Picks vol. 16 discs 2 & 3 if you want your brain cells rearranging!
    Last edited by simond; 2019-02-14 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks

Hey Phred.

You might appreciate the band linked earlier 'Dead Can Dance', I had a little look at them and they have obvious PF influences but their sound also put me in mind of Midnight Oil a little. They have a beautiful sound about them, have a link to Australia and use indigenous chants, instruments and sound samples from many cultures in a lot of their work. Quite enjoyable stuff that seems to go down well in Europe, especially Poland and Germany.
    Rex.
    Thank you Rex! Interesting .... especially since I'm from AU originally. Will check them out for sure. Cheers
    Apparently Steven Wilson likes DCD too ... https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/stev...rfectlife.html
    Last edited by Phred68; 2019-02-14 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added stuff :)

Thanks

Pink Floyd keeps dropping on my list and are not even in the Top 3 anymore. These days I'm much more interested in King Crimson, Steven Wilson and Queen. Hardly play Floyd anymore but what goes around comes back around.