Thread: Best albums 2000 onwards?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 71 Posts

Question Best albums 2000 onwards?

I LOVE Grandaddy The Sophtware Slump as the best album of the last 20 years I listen to no other 2000's onwards albums completely or often...

What do you love and why?

Thanks

Honestly, I can't think of a single new album that I've listened to more than once in the last 19 years. I've been listening to live music pretty much exclusively since about 1990 and I have a hard time listening to the produced albums anymore. Even the albums I loved in the 70's and 80's just don't do it for me anymore. I love the spontaneity and the free sound of live music.

However, I just googled Grandaddy The Sophtware Slump and listening to "2000" now and its not bad. I can see the relation to Pink Floyd. Wonder about their live shows though. lol

I am curious to see what others find as great studio albums since 2000. Are there any?
    Last edited by mj3; 2019-03-10 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks

storm

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing. I play the whole thing (after adding all the unused tracks etc) VERY often. Cheers
    Last edited by Phred68; 2019-03-11 at 04:54 AM. Reason: typos LOL

Thanks

Cool

Hand Cannot Erase - Steven Wilson

the perfect mix of prog and pop!!

I also like the live output of the current King Crimson ( "The music is new whenever it was written" R. F. )

Cheers
    voodoo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by voodooone View Post
    Hand Cannot Erase - Steven Wilson

the perfect mix of prog and pop!!...
    Agree 100% That album is just incredible...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,001 Times in 48 Posts

Very difficult to say, music quality now is far from... quality. When you see the actual rock scene and listen to the bands... I mean come on.. The 1975? Twenty One Pilots? I know the kids are always right (we were right when we were teens don't we?) but that's not quality music.

I mean, if Foo Fighters is still the best rock act, there is a problem. Not because the Foos being good or bad, just because there is no other act.

I'd go with 2 Radiohead's albums, Hail to the Thief and Kid A. Kid A is certainly a f*cking great record because they did something completely different to their previous album so that's nice when a group of musicians throw all away and reinvent themselves.

Anyway, very difficult. To each his own.
    Last edited by gotta_be_crazy; 2019-03-12 at 02:20 AM.
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks

Here's another one I cannot narrow down A few albums I have enjoyed and still rotate regularly from one genre (northern indie bands) are:

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - 2006. Amazing debut from a bunch of self promoted teens from Sheffield.

Last Shadow Puppets - The Age Of The Understatement - 2008. An English supergroup consisting of Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys), Miles Kane (The Rascals), James Ford (Simian), and Zach Dawes (Mini Mansions).

Arctic Monkeys - AM - 2013. 5th album from the band and a slight mellowing in style to a smooth rock blues vibe. Beautiful album.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - 2011. Former Oasis founder launches his new band, solid song writing and Beatle-esque melodies (NG staples) make this a strong solo debut.

Morrissey - Low In High School - 2018.

Although these are not outstanding in any way I find them to be strong musically and lyrically and very well produced with little to no filler material. Depending on mood this stuff can have you tapping your toes and singing your heart out
    Them: "will you ever just conform?"
    Me: "Yes! one day I will die just like all the rest".

Thanks

I've heard very little mainstream new music that I've liked in the past 20 years, but independent music is another story -- though even that's gone perceptibly downhill, as the genre gets completely colonized by twee girls and hipster dudes with ukuleles singing "Wo-oh, wo-oh".

Still, there are bright spots here and there. One recent one is the Lemon Twigs. I like their album Do Hollywood, though their live sets can be even better. It's kind of a pastiche of Queen and Todd Rundgren and stuff like that, but some of the songs have some really nice twists and turns.

Thanks

Default Takk...

My music tastes are mainly 70s and a few later bands. Over the years, I have gradually centred on half a dozen or so bands and collected their entire output plus available live recordings. The album that I was recommended nearly 15 years ago now and started a whole new area of collecting and research was 'Takk...' by Sigur Rós (2005), an Icelandic band described by many as post-rock with angelic vocals juxtaposed with often apocalyptic music.

This album, together with two earlier releases '()' (2002) and 'Ágćtis Byrjun' (1999), each contain some wonderful pieces of music such as this piece called 'Sćglópur' from Takk...
    https://youtu.be/vmD-9_ZifB8
    Last edited by Journey Man; 2019-03-18 at 12:19 AM.