Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Identifying Dates Of Demos On The Wall Immersion Set

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yyz View Post
    Well Im liking this thread....LOL

I have been re arranging my Immersion track listing all day with the notes added here.

On a seperate release, is the Under Construction CD the 4th Demo from feel 79 ?
    I also spent days rearranging tracks when I saw this thread years ago. I finally settled on listing Under Construction as mostly the 3rd demo since the 1st half is almost the same as the Immersion programme 3 material which is noted as 3rd demo. Some may be 4th demo or maybe even work in progress between 3rd and 4th demo. Just my opinion but mileage may vary.

Im thinking the following on Under Construction are from RWs 78 Original demo;

15 - Is There Anybody Out There? Pt1
    16 - Vera
    17 - Bring The Boys Back Home
    18 - Is There Anybody Out There? Pt2
    19 - Is There Anybody Out There? Pt 3

Am I correct does anyone know ?
    I don't know for certain but I agree with you.

Thanks

Yes its all very interesting stuff.

Still having good fun re arranging here !
    Ive based mine on Vernon Fitch and Richard Mahon's book for now.

Maybe one day we will get the 4th final production demo, but I doubt it some how !

Cheers
    YYZ

Thanks

Well Im liking this thread....LOL

I have been re arranging my Immersion track listing all day with the notes added here.

On a seperate release, is the Under Construction CD the 4th Demo from Aug 79 ?

Im thinking the following on Under Construction are from RWs 78 Original demo;

15 - Is There Anybody Out There? Pt1
    16 - Vera
    17 - Bring The Boys Back Home
    18 - Is There Anybody Out There? Pt2
    19 - Is There Anybody Out There? Pt 3

Am I correct does anyone know ?

Cheers
    YYZ
    Those are all from Roger's demo, except 19.

Thanks

Hi Kit Rae

From where is track 19 please ?

Cheers
    YYZ

Thanks

and "recently" in the BBC documentary "Wider Horizon" David Gilmour played to us his home (?) studio demo of "Comfortably Numb" with verses + chorus and some lyrics for the verses (whereas the widely circulating home demo (which he played in radio) was basically the chorus with David humming over it)

this is not on the immersion - the Wall box set.

The thing is that it's difficult to figure out what Gilmour actually is singing during each verse - he didn't play the demo in its entirety. Perhaps someone did a transcription of the lyrics and could post it there.
    I've tried to remove Gilmour's voice-over when he is talking over the demo, but Audacity didn't have enough filters to succeed. I don't have Izotope RX and don't have the skills to use it.

My guess is that this demo was from the same year/era than the widely circulating demo with just the chorus (during the recording of his first solo album in 1978. Gilmour played it in the documentary to show us that Waters didn't write the melody of the verse; Gilmour actually wrote that part too.
    But during the Wall sessions, they did change some chord progression and transposechords in order to make it work with the line "and I.....I......I become comfortably numb..."
    Last edited by abronsius; 2019-03-16 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abronsius View Post
    The thing is that it's difficult to figure out what Gilmour actually is singing during each verse - he didn't play the demo in its entirety. Perhaps someone did a transcription of the lyrics and could post it there.
    Put it on the line, put it to the test
    I'm just the same as all the rest
    I'm not the worst, I'm not the best
    Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

There's nothing to live [and] nothing to die for
    There is no future, no past to [cry] for
    I'm just dust, floating away on the wind...

Words I'm not 100% about are in brackets.

There are a couple places where Gilmour's demo lyrics almost certainly had an influence on Waters's ultimate lyrics, especially when he sings "There is no future" and, until that last word, it's exactly the same as "There is no pain".

Thanks

Great contribution abronsius
    This thread is starting to grow at last as I though it should.

Keep em coming !

Cheers
    YYZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Put it on the line, put it to the test
    I'm just the same as all the rest
    I'm not the worst, I'm not the best
    Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo-doo-doo

There's nothing to live [and] nothing to die for
    There is no future, no past to [cry] for
    I'm just dust, floating away on the wind...

Words I'm not 100% about are in brackets.

There are a couple places where Gilmour's demo lyrics almost certainly had an influence on Waters's ultimate lyrics, especially when he sings "There is no future" and, until that last word, it's exactly the same as "There is no pain".
    wow! nice to have a transcription of this lyrics. Thanks a lot ! I was really surprised (I didn't know that was to *point*) that David Gilmour needs someone like Polly to write some lyrics and/or took and need a lot of times to put some words on a song. Apparently his way of composing is not another George Harrison, but he clearly thinks with his guitar and sometimes a guitar can speak louder than words.
    What is interesting here is that this is already a song about being comfortably....numb...
    there's a melancholy we already feel with the mood of the melody of his demo; so obviously, Gilmour had here something very melancholic in his mind- another Welcome To The Machine or Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Bitterness and delusion seems to be the feeling of these first draft of putting words on this song.

Did someone succeed in attenuating or removing with filters the voice-over in order to have this studio demo without the voice-over ?
    There's various sources available now. Perhaps the documentary taken from the Blu-Ray or DVD is better for OOPS technique since it is lossless whilst the Wider Horizon BBC documentary was a video stream, thus lossy.
    Last edited by abronsius; 2019-03-17 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abronsius View Post
    Did someone succeed in attenuating or removing with filters the voice-over in order to have this studio demo without the voice-over ?
    I used the Immersion Gilmour demo without the lyrics and mixed it with the one from the documentary to get a version without the voice-over. Both are edits from the same demo. The one in the doc is recorded from the control room monitors by the video crew, so the stereo separation is not quite the same as the one from the Immersion set, but they merge together very well.

Thanks

Hi Kit Rae

From where is track 19 please ?

Cheers
    YYZ
    Correction - track 19 is from Roger's demo too! I had a version I re-mixed from several versions of that track that I never re-named, so I was listening to the wrong one. I had a listen to the original UC track again and it's a Roger demo.