Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Man / The Journey set list variations?

Thanks

Default The Man / The Journey set list variations?

I was curious..... I'm aware that not every performance of "The Massed Gadgets of Auximenes" stuck to the same set list as the Concertgebouw show. As in, different Floyd songs stood in for different portions of the suite - I've heard "Up The Khyber" as 'Doing It!' (rather than a "Grand Vizier's Garden Party" variation), and I've heard "Nick's Boogie" for 'The Pink Jungle' (rather than "Pow R. Toc H.").

Any other variations over time?

I believe I read once (possibly that 'Echoes' book with all the setlists?) that "Daybreak Reprise" was the "Grand Vizier" flute theme at one point... I would LOVE to find that, though I sincerely doubt it happened.

Thanks

Can't really help I'm afraid but just wondered if there's any news on Recorder 2's first set from 1969-04-14 (which Neon said exists) being released into circulation?

Thanks

For starters, Fingal's Cave site was a good reference point regarding setlists.
    It may be a bit outdated and incomplete now that is only accessible through the Wayback Machine.
    But still, you can have some good information:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20070320...ave/1969.htm#1
    Last edited by ruben77; 2019-10-12 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    R.M.

Thanks

Wasn't interstellar Overdrive played at some of the shows as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floydfan2410 View Post
    Wasn't interstellar Overdrive played at some of the shows as well?
    That was an encore, rather than part of the Man/Journey suites.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruben77 View Post
    It may be a bit outdated and incomplete now that is only accessible through the Wayback Machine.
    And they already start off on the wrong foot. XD The April show at Royal Festival Hall didn't use Grand Vizier for "Doing It".... that show had "Up The Khyber," which started slowly and built up to what you'd recognize from the More version.

Thanks

I’m sorry to hijack this thread again but what is it with ‘collectors’? If they were sitting on a soundboard of the show, I’d fully understand and respect that. But they’re sitting on a fairly poor audience recording of the first set of a show for which the second set circulates and for which the whole show also circulates from another recorder. I did a fairly decent matrix of the second set using both sources although I know now that I could improve on it. If we had the first set, we could end up with a reasonably good sounding ‘stereo’ version of the whole show..... such an important show in the PF history. I was 17 when I saw the show, I’m 67 now..... time’s running out. What are these guys waiting for? Their tapes will probably be consigned to landfill when they’re gone. FFS guys, share what you’ve got, it’s not exactly the Holy Grail!

Thanks

Default Re: Collectors

Hoarding tapes/material might be THE thing that bothers me most as a music fan. And I certainly agree with you, completely. But what truly concerns me is the actual official releases.

While the Early Years is a treasure trove of material, and I suppose they tried with the Later Years (glad the AMLOR remix/re-recording will see the light of day), I fear we need to temper our expectations.

Waters is 76, Mason is 75, and Gilmour is the youngest at 73.

I don’t know what will happen, but with things like Seabirds, early BBC material, Peace Be With You, an Animals box set (we KNOW there are outtakes available), the Wall concert footage, etc etc all sitting in the vault it gets more and more likely none of it sees the light of day.

As for the collectors, the vast majority of the material they have is saved on formats that age poorly.

For example, a reel of part of a Man and the Journey show would be 50 years old now. These things are not invincible. I’m sure many, many gems have literally rotted away or been lost to the dustbin of history when their owners passed on (we know of several of these circumstances as is).

Having said all that, my point of view is that it makes it that much more important for us to appreciate and thank those people here who do share recordings and those who put massive amounts of work into making them sound as good as possible. We are very lucky.

So, you know who you guys are...Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruben77 View Post
    A little bit outdated, indeed but a good start. It took me 2 years and 200 hours of work but, with the help of complex app (including Izotope), I rec-onstructed a studio version of "The Man and The Journey". I used a total of 91 different sources: 48 for "The Man", 43 for "The Journey". The discovering of the EMI and BBC studios effects was a great help too.
    I have listed the sources used if it could help (in red: the sound effects)

I.THE MAN
    1. Daybreak (Part 1)
    - Grantchester Meadows from « Ummagumma », 1969.
    - Grantchester Meadows from « BBC Sessions May 1969 » Bootleg.
    - Grantchester Meadows from « Live at KQED TV » FMRip, 1970.
    - Grantchester Meadows from « Live at KQED TV » TVRip, 1970.
    - Birds Dawn Chorus from « Spectacular sounds effects Volume two », 1981.

2. Work
    - Whistle sound from «1969-09-17 - Pink Floyd - Amsterdam '69 (HRV CDR003)», 1969.
    - Whistle sound from «1969-04-14 Rehearsals», 1969.
    - Steam locomotive USA with bell train comes to halt from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.

- Atom Heart Mother (Early version) - solo drums from «Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972)», 2016.
    - Hard Way - extract from « Household Objects (outtakes) » in « The Dark Side … » (Immersion).

3. Teabreak
    - Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast - Channel 2 Corn flakes from « Atom heart mother » 4.0 mix, 2016.
    - Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast - Channel 4 Tea drinking from « Atom heart mother» 4.0 mix, 2016.
    - Lighting of matches and cigarettes between … from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Bacon frying on a gas stove from «EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Electric auto antenna and manual … from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Jimmy Young speech sketch from « 1974.11.16 BBC Revisited » Bootleg.

- Country song (full mix) - Mason’s stance from « A total Zabriskie point of view » bootleg.
    + Easter egg!

4. Afternoon
    - Biding my time from «Relics» Canadian version, 1971

5. Doing it!
    - The grand vizier’s garden party (part 2) - snare drums part from «Ummagumma», 1969.
    - The grand vizier’s garden party (part 3) - Drums parts from «Ummagumma», 1969.
    - Set the controls for the heart of the sun - Cymbals isolation from «Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - A saucerful of secrets - gong isolation from «Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - Echoes - second part cymbals isolation from «Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - Atom Heart Mother (Early version) - Drums from «Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972)», 2016.

6. Sleeping
    - Clock from « EMI Productions Sound Effects», 1970.
    - Breathe - Roger’s breathing from «Music for the body», 1970.

- Love Scene 2/Oenone (full mix) from « A total Zabriskie point of view » bootleg.
    - Explosion - bass riff from « Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972) », 2016.
    - Seabirds - Gong sounds from « Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972) », 2016.
    - Aeroplane - Intro Rising chord from « Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972) », 2016.
    - The grand vizier’s garden party (part 2) - organ part from «Ummagumma», 1969.
    - Love Scene 3 from « A total Zabriskie point of view » bootleg.
    - Love Scene 3 (band version) from « A total Zabriskie point of view » bootleg.
    - Set the controls … - Organ + Guitar reverberated from « Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - A saucerful of secrets - Drone sound from «Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - Set the controls for the heart of the sun - Gong isolation from « Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - Love scene (Version One) from «Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972)», 2016.
    - Love scene (Version Two) from «Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972)», 2016.
    - Love Scene 5 (double vibe) from «A total Zabriskie point of view» bootleg.
    - Quicksilver from «Soundtrack from More» (2016 Vinyl remaster), 2016.
    - Rain is the country (Unknow song - full mix) from «A total Zabriskie point of view» bootleg.

7. Nightmare
    - Cymbaline - Intro from «Soundtrack from More» (2016 Vinyl remaster), 2016.
    - Cymbaline from «BBC Sessions May 1969» Bootleg.
    - Cymbaline from from « soundtrack from the film More », 2016 Vinyl Remaster

8. Labyrinths
    - Circular saw from «EMI Productions Sound Effects», 1970.
    - Alarm clock from « EMI Productions Sound Effects», 1970.
    - Love Scene (Version one) - Ending from « Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972) », 2016.
    - Birds Dawn Chorus from «Spectacular sounds effects Volume two», 1981.

II. THE JOURNEY
    1. The beginning
    - The Seaside: Waves Breaking with Seagulls from «EMI Productions Sound Effects», 1970.

- Green is the colour from « soundtrack from the film More », 1969.
    - Beginning from « April, 14th 1969 RFH rehearsals », 1969.
    - Hollywood - break part from «Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972)», 2016.
    - Take off (Version II) - Ending Gong - from « Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972) », 2016.

2. Beset by creatures of the deep
    - Explosion from «Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972)», 2016.
    - One of these days - Wind Fx from « Meddle » 5.1 Mix, 2014

3. The Narrow Way
    - The narrow way (part 3) from «Ummagumma», 1969 de-muxed and remixed

4. The Pink Jungle
    - Pow R., Toc H. from «The piper at the gates of dawn» (2017 Record Store Day vinyl)
    - Macaw and other birds from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Monkeys from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Crickets from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Seventeen-year locusts from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Parrots from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Japanese nightingale from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Turtle doves courting from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.

- Careful with that axe, Eugčne - rear channel from «Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - Love Scene 6 (full mix) - last drum from «A total Zabriskie point of view» bootleg.

5. The Labyrinths of Auximenes
    - The Seaside: Water Splashing Round Pier, Rocks from «Spectacular sound effects volume one», 1981.
    - Embryo - outro bass riff from « Picnic a breath of fresh air », 1970.
    - Explosion - bass riff from « Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972) », 2016.
    - Set the controls … - Organ + Guitar reverberated from « Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - Interstellar Overdrive - bass break from « BBC Sessions May 1969 » Bootleg.
    - DVD menu loops soundscapes from « Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972) », 2016.

6. Footsteps
    - Footsteps from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Doors, Gates, Stairs, Squeaks … Open Squeak & Close from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Doors, Gates, Stairs, Squeaks … Door Open & Shut from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Footsteps: Running in Street from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.
    - Cymbaline from «Live at KQED TV» FMRip, 1970.
    - Cymbaline from «Live at KQED TV» TVRip, 1970.

7. Behold the temple of the light
    - The grand vizier’s garden party (part 2) - organ part from «Ummagumma», 1969.
    - Set the controls for the heart of the sun - Gong isolation from «Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - The narrow way (part 3) - chord sequence intro from « Ummagumma», 1969.
    - A saucerful of secrets « A saucerful of secrets», 2019 Mono Reissue for Record Store Day.
    - Childhood’s End - ending section from « Obscured by Clouds» , 2017 Vinyl Remaster.
    - Love scene (Version Two) - Beginning from «Pink Floyd Early Years (1965-1972)», 2016.

8. The end of the beginning
    - Roger’s boogie - organ solo outro from « Early years (1965-1972) », 2016.
    - A saucerful of secrets - Celestial voices part from « A saucerful of secrets », 1968.
    - A Saucerful Of Secrets from « BBC Sessions May 1969 » Bootleg.
    - A saucerful of secrets - Storm signal part from « A saucerful of secrets », 1968.
    - Autumn’ 68 (isolated front channel) from « Endless River » 2014 5.1 Mix.
    - A saucerful of secrets - Gong isolation from « Live at Pompeii» 5.1 mix, 1971.
    - The Seaside: Waves Breaking with Seagulls from « EMI Productions Sound Effects », 1970.

Thanks

Is there a way to listen to this incredible work ?