Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ummagumma, Part One

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 45 Posts

I use the Foobar Discogs tagger (foo_discogs) to tag all my Officially released stuff. Your work would have saved me a lot of time! I will check see if we've come to same conclusions... I use m-tags for Foobar to keep tags separate from files, it's fab for allowing properly tagged sets without affecting original files. I love foo_discogs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    My ASOS tape was definitely this one: https://www.discogs.com/The-Pink-Flo...elease/8742100
    You're right, I somehow overlooked the yellow stripe!

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Ummagumma, I *think*, is this one: https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-U...elease/3219198. Can confirm that when my tapes come back in the mail.
    The cover image that comes with the download is different from that release. The layout rather resembles your ASOS cover.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I use the Foobar Discogs tagger (foo_discogs) to tag all my Officially released stuff. Your work would have saved me a lot of time! I will check see if we've come to same conclusions... I use m-tags for Foobar to keep tags separate from files, it's fab for allowing properly tagged sets without affecting original files. I love foo_discogs.
    Thanks for pointing me towards m-tags and foo_discogs. I've been wondering for years how to tag files without tampering the originals. Although cuesheets would be an option as well. But I'll definitely look into m-tags.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 45 Posts

m-tags handle any tags you can think of, whereas CUE files only support a limited set - at least within Foobar.
    I used to use CUE files but moved over to m-tags about 6 months ago. I thoroughly recommend them although it's a shame that they are not supported by many (any?) other players at present.

Glad my comments were helpful.

Thanks

Listened tonight to the cassettes of the first three albums, plus the Belgian (?) Ummagumma Vol. 1. Enjoyed all four, and More and Ummagumma particularly jumped out at me for details I'd never noticed before. I was struck specifically by the low-end weight of Mason's toms in the live Set the Controls.

More sounds very different from the CD, and I'll have to go back and compare a few things that I don't remember from the CD, e.g. the weird reverb tail popping out from Mason's snare clicks in Dramatic Theme. It's definitely a lot better than my US-issued cassette purchased around 1988, which didn't sound nearly as good as this.

Looking forward to the rest!

Thanks
    Thanked 37,866 Times in 442 Posts

Default Interstellar Overdrive from TLAMLIL

Plus SEEK 258 normal position cassette, not recorded with Dolby, produced 1990. It doesn't clip like the CDs and has a more natural waveform. Such a shame that they didn't also include Nick's Boogie on the cassette release. I've just added it to the folder.

Thanks

Well, I am on my 4th listen of More since lunchtime and feel like I have been missing out all these years, Quicksilver is a song I never liked or understood but I feel as though I have heard it for the first time today, gutted that I traded all of my old mans cassettes back in the 90's to buy what I thought were superior sounding CD's

Was just about to download Ummagumma but notice there is 3 versions... Which is the best one to grab?

Eternal thanks for all the time and work you have put in on these NK It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 37,866 Times in 442 Posts

I'm delighted you are enjoying the music. The project seems to be going very well and there are more tapes in the pipeline.

Ummagumma Part One, where all this started, will give you the best version of the live album. Part two is the studio album and I don't own that tape. For the studio album go for the Canadian SDR tape. In Canada and the US, Ummagumma used to come on tape as just Astronomy Domine plus the studio album.

The third Ummagumma tape is a valid alternative but I feel that it has been superseded by the above versions. I'm leaving obsolete stuff in the folder to cover the possibility that people will want the recordings as points of reference or hear something I am missing.

PATGOD and Relics are currently weak links in my opinion, although some people seem to like the latter. Two options for Relics are in the pipeline and one is definitely better than the current offering. Yesterday I received an unplayed old copy of PATGOD in the post.... fingers tightly crossed for that one because it was expensive.

Thanks

Brilliant. Thanks for the info NK.

I am loving More and looking forward to delving into Ummagumma. ASOS and AHM would be next on my list but I will donate again before going past the two I initially wanted. Did I hear mention of OBC or am I just wishful thinking?

I have read before that there was live version of IO and a studio version of Embryo recorded for Ummagumma, is that true and if so have these recordings ever surfaced or been identified?
    Also, is there anything unique on The Works or is it just a straight forward compilation?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but your knowledge is valuable too
    Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Well, I am on my 4th listen of More since lunchtime and feel like I have been missing out all these years, Quicksilver is a song I never liked or understood but I feel as though I have heard it for the first time today.
    I know what you mean, Rex. This recording is brilliant! It's been on repeat today here as well. Probably my favorite of the lot next to mono Saucerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Did I hear mention of OBC or am I just wishful thinking?
    Vince did some transfers of an Italian OBC cassette a while back that is quite good. Were you able to get that? It's my go to for now until something else turns up.