Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Ummagumma, Part One

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGoBlue1989 View Post
    I know what you mean, Rex. This recording is brilliant! It's been on repeat today here as well. Probably my favorite of the lot next to mono Saucerful.

Vince did some transfers of an Italian OBC cassette a while back that is quite good. Were you able to get that? It's my go to for now until something else turns up.
    Been trying to put my finger on it and I think that it is presence, a few times today I have felt I was in the room hearing those cymbals lingering in the air. The recordings/transfers have a certain ambience about them, the mild hiss disappears or possibly is even the whispering bridge that pulls you in the room with them or brings them into yours, some on here have suggested it lets the recordings breathe and I think that's a good description.

I don't have the OBC transfer sadly no, That and Zabriskie Point would be ideal for me if they had similar results as this (I have only listened to More so far... 5x now). The soundtrack trilogy come as a set in my eyes I usually play them all together and even mix the order to suit, There is a cracking summer day playlist to be had between the 3 of them A More Obscure Point is my playlist name which should actually be Umm A More Obscure Point since Grantchester Meadows and The narrow way have been added lol.

Where might I find the OBC transfer by Vince?
    Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    The recordings/transfers have a certain ambience about them, the mild hiss disappears or possibly is even the whispering bridge that pulls you in the room with them or brings them into yours, some on here have suggested it lets the recordings breathe and I think that's a good description.
    I think this is it exactly. The hiss which was once so despised is really the key to it all. It draws you into a room where things can breathe instead of a sterile room devoid of life where digital lives a lot of times.

I don't have the OBC transfer sadly no, That and Zabriskie Point would be ideal for me if they had similar results as this (I have only listened to More so far... 5x now). The soundtrack trilogy come as a set in my eyes I usually play them all together and even mix the order to suit, There is a cracking summer day playlist to be had between the 3 of them A More Obscure Point is my playlist name which should actually be Umm A More Obscure Point since Grantchester Meadows and The narrow way have been added lol.
    You playlist sounds cracking. Please consider sharing.

Where might I find the OBC transfer by Vince?
    Cheers
    Keep your eye on your inbox. I'm not sure it's as definitive as some of these from NK but it certainly shows what may be possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 38,286 Times in 444 Posts

I have read before that there was live version of IO and a studio version of Embryo recorded for Ummagumma, is that true and if so have these recordings ever surfaced or been identified? Also, is there anything unique on The Works or is it just a straight forward compilation?
    For Interstellar Overdrive I recommend you seek out Careful With These Tracks, Yellow Cow Records - YCCD016.

I believe the version of Embryo on my transfer of Works is the best circulating version

Thanks

Vince did some transfers of an Italian OBC cassette a while back that is quite good. Were you able to get that? It's my go to for now until something else turns up.
    It's currently the best version in my opinion and Lennyif and I are aiming to better it. Vince's transfers are very similar to mine. We have been on the same Technics journey and he's my go-to guy for technical problems, along with Beechwoods. Vince is missed around here.

Thanks

A More Obscure Point is my playlist name which should actually be Umm A More Obscure Point since Grantchester Meadows and The narrow way have been added lol.
    Mixing together all of the analogue versions works really nicely if you have time. We're currently looking for a decent version of Zabriskie Point. Fans could use my sources to produce HD mixed with 16/44 source versions, where lower resolution is all that's available, of all the pre-DSOTM albums, featuring all the extras. Hours of listening pleasure! I'd love to have the time to do it myself and it would make a great thread here on Y.

Thanks

The hiss which was once so despised is really the key to it all. It draws you into a room where things can breathe instead of a sterile room devoid of life where digital lives a lot of times.
    I fully agree. I'd also highlight destructive digital-era mixing. Everyone who's subscribing should listen to the TLAMLIL Interstellar Overdrive that I posted the other day. If you have the right gear to play it on I think you'll be amazed by how good it is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    For Interstellar Overdrive I recommend you seek out Careful With These Tracks, Yellow Cow Records - YCCD016.

I believe the version of Embryo on my transfer of Works is the best circulating version

Ah, I aleady have YCCD016 release, I will grab the works for embryo too.
    Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    Mixing together all of the analogue versions works really nicely if you have time. We're currently looking for a decent version of Zabriskie Point. Fans could use my sources to produce HD mixed with 16/44 source versions, where lower resolution is all that's available, of all the pre-DSOTM albums, featuring all the extras. Hours of listening pleasure! I'd love to have the time to do it myself and it would make a great thread here on Y.
    Sorry I do not really understand what do you mean by mixing different versions, could you make an example, please Neonknight?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pelino View Post
    Sorry I do not really understand what do you mean by mixing different versions, could you make an example, please Neonknight?
    Taking More as example, I would combine:

• The songs taken from the mono soundtrack of a French VHS copy of the film that I bought in Paris in the early 1990s or a blu-ray version
    • My 1977 cassette
    • The four songs on The Early Years (TEY) box set
    • Pink Floyd 1969-03-05 BBC 'Science Session' Marbal low gen [24-96]

Items one, two and four would be 24/96, assuming that the VHS is the winner, and the TEY is 16/44.
    Last edited by neonknight; 2020-01-29 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Almost forgot Science Session

Thanks

Default More French Cassette 1977

I've just given this one a listen and it is very nice allowing the top end and indeed the whole sound to feel more immediate. The tape hiss is minimal and not at all obtrusive. Thanks for your work on this and others.