Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crackers?

Thanks

Default Crackers?

Curious about any history of this bootleg? I've got the vinyl triple one with the actual box of crackers cover somewhere rather than the girl on the swan (?) Which is the original? Are they the same recording?

What's the currently recommended flac version? I've vague memories of a Platinum Crackers Matrix so I guess there were multiple recorders? Also I think there was some Super 8 video?

Any other trivia about this famous bootleg would be interesting.

Thanks

There are actually five recorders for this date, plus the Super 8 film. Crackers is Rec. 1, while I've only listened to the more common Rec. 2, which apparently sounds the best. If you want to find the best versions of any of these, you should hit up the list of best known sources, which is right on top of this folder. However, be aware that some versions of Rec. 2 have the second set run a little fast. This source isn't listed in the thread but does fix the speed issues.

As for the video footage, about twenty minutes exists. You can find it as part of this torrent.

Thanks

Useful comparison of recorders at

http://ygbc.orgfree.com/wow/THEMATIC_WOW_1972-09-22.htm

The author prefers the original Zeus rip from Silver CD (the source of Rec2?) although I'm not sure if its speed corrected. It's not on this tracker but at

https://www.guitars101.com/forums/f1...rs-673103.html

I'd forgotten how long the video was!

Thanks

The only Floyd boot I ever bought on CD was "Cracked", which is from the same recorder (I think?).

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-C...elease/3232477

Had that in the early 90s, and I remember being astonished at the amount of time they took tuning up and fiddling about, and the prominent audience chatter in these segments. As I had neither CD player or reliable turntable in my room, I copied everything to tapes, and "Cracked" went on two nice Maxell tapes. But all the "dead air" meant it was inconvenient for Walkman use, and didn't get the kind of play some other boots did ("Early Tours" was a favourite, all from Amsterdam 71). I didn't really come to appreciate the Hollywood Bowl show until I got "Bowl de Luna" here or on Dime, and now I have lots of versions. It's a must-have show if there ever was one.

Thanks

So you're already partially familiar with this stuff, huh? Cool.

The Zeus version is available on this tracker, by the way. Looking at a list of someone's collection I have, they give it a higher SQ rating than the master clone, which is EX/EX+ as opposed to plain EX. It also runs for about three and a half minutes longer, so I assume it's been SC'd. Looks like I'll have to give it a try...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floweredup View Post
    Curious about any history of this bootleg? I've got the vinyl triple one with the actual box of crackers cover somewhere rather than the girl on the swan (?) Which is the original? Are they the same recording?

What's the currently recommended flac version? I've vague memories of a Platinum Crackers Matrix so I guess there were multiple recorders? Also I think there was some Super 8 video?

Any other trivia about this famous bootleg would be interesting.
    http://floydboots.com/pages/crackers.php
    My Website: www.Floydboots.com

Thanks
    Thanked 35,180 Times in 429 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slugbelch View Post
    Remarkable that you managed to document so many pressings

Thanks

My first Floyd boot, the LP played pretty fast though didn't it? I remember putting coins on the cartridge to slow it down. I was young.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    ditto! I do regularly visit floydboots website since many years ago... that website is a true goldmine of informations and pictures for those who enjoy the good old vinyl boots... simply awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by penguinzzz View Post
    My first Floyd boot
    it was my first floyd boot, as well, in my early teens (it was 1987 maybe)... but I had got it recorded onto cassettes by a friend, never happened to own a proper vinyl copy of it, though.
    Last edited by vince666; 2021-01-23 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    My copy is a seventh pressing as it turns out. Remarkable indeed! I had no idea there were so many pressings. Always figured there were two.