Thread: Suggestions on cataloging wanted

Thanks
    Thanked 3,099 Times in 75 Posts

Default Suggestions on cataloging wanted

Hi! Finally I want to get started on cataloging the MoodySMB collection. As you can see from the picture it's a lot. Most of the cases are fully packed with live cassettes and there are several cases of VHS tapes as well.

I wish I could say that tapes of the same concert were in the same case, but that's not always true. Further complicating matters are that concert ends and middles might be cobbled together on one tape to save space. It could be that the end of a particular show might not even be known about until it is surprised located at another time in another case.

So with that in mind, and with the fact that a significant portion of this stuff is Pink Floyd related and many are unpublished masters (usually of preexisting shows), I would like suggestions as how to best catalog this stuff.

To give you some perspective, if I said to take it all you would either need a good-sized SUV or for it to be shipped to you via truck on a pallet. I don't know what I am going to do with all of this until I know what's in here.

Any suggestions? A spreadsheet?? I have Open Office. Anything in there work? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doinker; 2020-01-04 at 08:18 PM.
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to my right... Here I am - stuck in the middle with you..." - Stealers Wheel

Takes on a whole new meaning today, doesn't it? - D

Thanks

I would definitely do it in a spreadsheet. I'm a Microsoft man, so I would use Excel, but perhaps for sharing purposes you may want to good Google docs, or find some other good way to share it as you add to it.... make it a living document.

I'd set up columns like:

Media number
    Artist
    Date
    Rating
    Lineage
    Complete
    Comments

So that you can easily sort through everything. PM me if you want some other tips or to talk about it. I'm curious to hear what others suggest as well.
    --
    Adam Stanley
    http://www.echoes.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,099 Times in 75 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astanley View Post
    I would definitely do it in a spreadsheet. I'm a Microsoft man, so I would use Excel, but perhaps for sharing purposes you may want to good Google docs, or find some other good way to share it as you add to it.... make it a living document.

I'd set up columns like:

Media number
    Artist
    Date
    Rating
    Lineage
    Complete
    Comments

So that you can easily sort through everything. PM me if you want some other tips or to talk about it. I'm curious to hear what others suggest as well.
    Thanks! Open Office is fully compatible with Excel and is free. I'm not sure what a media number is useful for, unless you mean tape 1,2,3,x? Listening to this amount of material in its entirety isn't practical. Unless it's a master I might not know the lineage.
    "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to my right... Here I am - stuck in the middle with you..." - Stealers Wheel

Takes on a whole new meaning today, doesn't it? - D

Thanks

I'd suggest a spreadsheet on Google Drive/Google Sheets also. Would make it much easier for sharing and collaboration if you're wanting that. You could do something similar to the Radiohead minidiscs document created this past year (unsure if you're familiar with that unburied treasure?). Accessible to anyone to view but only limited few or just you to edit.
    Roger Waters
    - Las Vegas MGM Grand 2010-11-26
    - Las Vegas T-Mobile Arena 2017-06-16

David Gilmour
    - Los Angeles Hollywood Bowl 2016-03-25