Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rest in Peace, Neil Peart

Thanks

Default Rest in Peace, Neil Peart

Hard to hear and hard to take. So much great music.

Godspeed.

Thanks

Very sad loss. I listened to Rush all last night in honor. His drumming was awesome, but it was his lyrics that really spoke to me as a kid and throughout my adult life. He will be missed, but the musical legacy will always remain.
    www.bigmuffpage.com

David Gilmour Tone Building - gear and tone guide
    http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gi..._Building.html

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 42 Posts

Definitely a sad day losing probably the greatest rock drummer out there (after Ginger Bake died last year), but also an excellent lyricist, and a wonderful human being who took care of his family, even after the tragedy that befell his first wife and daughter and his resulting lengthy break from the band to recover emotionally, then remarrying and having a new baby.
    RIP, Neil, and thanks for the incredible music.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

such a shame. Rush were always the band we aspired to - if we could cover a Rush song convincingly we thought we were doing very well.

Like others have said - a great lyricist, great drummer and by the sounds of it a nice human being too.

Thanks

The official announcement regarding Neil stated, "Those wishing to express their condolences can choose a cancer research group or charity of their choice and make a donation in Neil Peartís name." Imagine what a significant contribution this could be if every Rush fan were to pitch in... I'm going to do my part. I encourage everyone else who can help to please consider making a donation as well.

Thanks to the Professor for 41 amazing years!

Thanks

This one really hurts. RIP Professor.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,171 Times in 133 Posts

This was very sad to hear. Being very close to Canada, Rush liked to come here quite often so I got to see them about 6 times or so. I always loved this band. This is now the 2nd Canadian rock icon to succumb to brain cancer, the other being Gord Downey of The Tragically Hip who we lost a couple years ago. So freaking sad, life is just so unfair and incredibly cruel sometimes.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

yes, and Denis D'Amour from Voivod survived a brain tumour in the 1980s only to die of colon cancer in 2005. I always imagined that the start of Dimension Hatross was inspired by MRI scanning machines

Thanks

Knowing nothing about the man or the band of whom he was a member, can I ask why is he referred to as "the professor"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ItsGotABasket View Post
    Knowing nothing about the man or the band of whom he was a member, can I ask why is he referred to as "the professor"?
    He was introduced as "the professor of the drum kit" by their lead singer/bassist, Geddy Lee, at a venue in Ontario that Neil had long dreamed of performing at fairly early in his tenure with the band.
    Geddy was referring to his prowess on the drums.
    Neil is widely considered one of the greatest rock drummers ever to have lived, and many people would say the best, period.
    Here he is in action on one of their signature songs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhnhXHVSQg
    Another affectionate nickname I've heard people use for him was the "human metronome."
    You really ought to broaden your horizons to include Rush's music, now that they're retired.
    Three virtuoso musicians with no egos.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough