Thread: Taking microphone into O2

Thanks

Default Taking microphone into O2

I'm going to be at the 'Music for the Marsden' event featuring Nick Mason, Eric Clapton, plus a host of others at the O2 tomorrow. I'd love to record the show to share here, and I've bought a Tascam Dr-05 (about 10cmx4cmx3cm) microphone. However, the FAQ says recording equipment is banned. There seem to be a few bootlegs from the O2 though, so maybe someone could give me some advice as to how best to get it past security, if at all?
    Roger Waters @ Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam, Netherlands - 19/06/2018
    Nick Mason @ Portsmouth Guildhall, UK - 23/09/2018
    Nick Mason @ O2, UK 03/03/2020

Thanks

As you will probably be searched,I'd go with it down the front of your trousers, preferably in a small bag that can be attached to a belt loop so it doesn't fall out. Seriously I've done it myself four or five times also with a tascam dr-05.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
    As you will probably be searched,I'd go with it down the front of your trousers, preferably in a small bag that can be attached to a belt loop so it doesn't fall out. Seriously I've done it myself four or five times also with a tascam dr-05.
    I've managed to crotch all sorts of items, up to and including a 750ml bottle of Jack Daniel's, with the right pants and belt. I 100% agree this is your best option.

Thanks

You will have to go through airport style body scanners the walk through type. Should be no problem as most recorders are plastic but I separate the batteries just in case. Even give to someone you are going with. Have a great show.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the advice. As I'd never been to the O2 and was a bit concerned about having it confiscated, I didn't take my microphone in the end unfortunately. The security was actually pretty lax though, so if I ever go again I'll definitely take the mic next time.
    Roger Waters @ Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam, Netherlands - 19/06/2018
    Nick Mason @ Portsmouth Guildhall, UK - 23/09/2018
    Nick Mason @ O2, UK 03/03/2020

Thanks
    Thanked 1,040 Times in 42 Posts

Amusingly enough, when I recorded NMSoS in Indy, we all walked through magnetometers (standup walk-through metal detectors) and I put my Tascam DR-07 in the bowl that we all put our metal items (keys, phones, etc.) in, and the security crew never gave it even a second glance when I picked it back up out of the bowl after having been scanned.
    I suspect that Nick realizes that our recordings will only gain more people eager to pay for his official video and audio, as I my wife did by getting me the DVD/CD/signed poster combo.
    I'll probably get both of my brothers the Blu-Ray for Christmas.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Yep, down the pants is the last refuge of the taper! I've also tossed small recorders in my girlfriend's purse. Security usually has no interest in things like that anyway. They'd only notice weapons or absurdly huge cameras/microphones.

I've recorded several shows by using small stealth clip-on mics. I wear a long sleeve collared shirt (or flannel) and clip on my collar - aimed at the music source (nearest PA speakers). In the dark chaos of a concert, no one notices.

In a casual bar-gig setting, I clip my mics on tall beer bottles. Even when taping is permitted, I prefer to be stealth.