Thread: Help with ripping and converting bluray audio

Thanks

Default Help with ripping and converting bluray audio

Can anyone explain to me why I can take a 24/96 stereo FLAC and down convert it to a 256 AAC with no issue but whenever I rip a stereo 24/96 track from a bluray and down convert it to 256 AAC it sounds fuzzy? When I play the ripped 24/96 FLAC from bluray it sounds fine. When I play the 24/96 FLAC downloaded from here it plays fine. When I downsample to 256 AAC the audio from here sounds fine but the audio from bluray is fuzzy. The lows and highs are perfect but the mids are fuzzy. I am at a loss. I use audiomuxer to rip and dbpoweramp to convert. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Well, a little bit more detail on your software and process might enable us to help. What are you using to rip and convert?

Thanks

Hi Blergh,

Here's the workflow:

1. I use Audiomuxer to rip 24/96 WAV from Bluray and automatically convert and split that output to 24/96 FLACs. I play the 24/96 FLACs with VLC and notice no issues at all with the sound.
    2. I use dbPoweramp to convert the 24/96 FLAC to 16/44.1 FLAC. I play the 16/44.1 FLAC with VLC and notice no issues at all.
    3. I use dbPoweramp to convert the 16/44.1 FLAC to 16/44.1 WAV and play that in VLC with no issue.
    4. I import the 16/44.1 WAV into iTunes and convert to 256 kbps AAC, sync to phone also in 256 kbps AAC and play in car either via USB or Bluetooth and the midrange tends to be fuzzy or flangy.

With just that info, one would suspect the iTunes converter as the problem but not so fast...

If I do steps 2-4 starting with a 24/96 FLAC that was only ever audio to begin with and not sourced from a Bluray, the final AAC sounds fine. If I rip a CD in iTunes, the final AAC sounds fine. So that tells me the iTunes converter works fine too.

To add another piece to the puzzle, If I go through steps 1-4 starting with a file that was ripped from Bluray by someone else to 24/96 FLAC with unknown software and then shared with me, the final AAC tends to be fuzzy or flangy.

That makes me think there is something inherent to bluray 24/96 rips that I can't hear in native resolution that gets magnified when down sampled to AAC. It's not the cymbals and high hats, or the bass... just the midrange. It's like someone puts extra fuzz on Gilmour's guitar and Rick's keyboards. Or flanges spoken word like Hans Keller interview. It sounds sort of out of phase. I'm at a loss to explain further.

I'm going to rip the same content off the Early Years and Later Years DVDs instead of Blurays and see if the final result is the same or different.
    Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 2020-03-06 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 42 Posts

Have you tried DVD Audio Extractor? I use it and have never had any issues. It extracts audio from DVD and Blu-Ray discs and images.
    I'm not sure if it will transcode to lossy on the fly - I use it to go straight to FLAC which is what I need...

http://www.dvdae.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Have you tried DVD Audio Extractor? I use it and have never had any issues. It extracts audio from DVD and Blu-Ray discs and images.
    I'm not sure if it will transcode to lossy on the fly - I use it to go straight to FLAC which is what I need...

http://www.dvdae.com/
    I have used DVD Audio Extractor but my version is old and doesn't do Blu-ray. Actually I'm not even sure it works in Win 10. It did great for DVD-A stuff though.

I think I've found my problem and it's not software at all. It's hardware, maybe a RAM or processor issue. Batch processing is the culprit and pegs my RAM. I don't have any problems when doing a track individually. My PC is old and in need of some new RAM as it get's pegged more than it used to.