Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    No, it absolutely didn't, and we've known that for decades. Wartime propaganda made it verboten to talk about the effects on Allied soldiers, so cases in places like Spain were overreported by the media --but Spain wasn't even particularly hard-hit.

The likely origin of the 1917-1919 flu is unclear, but there's some evidence for the United States as the origin (specifically Kansas), and some for China.
    Okay, that was in error, likely as you state as a result of propaganda.
    Ebola refers to the river in Africa that is the origin of that particular virus.
    There are plenty of other diseases named after the location of their origin, whether that origin later proves to be erroneous.
    Even now, China is now trying to deflect their culpability by employing a little propaganda of their own to claim that it actually originated in the U.S.
    The news media will do as the NBA did regarding Hong Kong and not risk angering their Chicom masters by entertaining such crap as plausible.
    Just sit back and watch.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

While your point about the media's deference to China may be valid, for me the safety of my Chinese-American family members and friends (not to mention Japanese, Korean, etc.) is a far higher priority.

There's probably a political agenda in severing the name's connection to China, sure; there's also a political agenda in keeping it. Coupling the name of a disease to a specific nationality can have real-world consequences for innocent people.

Trying to establish where it originated is a worthy job for epidemiologists, but I'm not sure how assigning blame helps us now, with so many foci of infection.

As the saying goes, graveyards are full of people who had the right of way. They're also full of people who said some version of "Why is everyone panicking? Stop being so hysterical. All this is no big deal, just wait and see."

And now they have no way of atoning for the consequences of their poor counsel. After all, like the pilot of the plunging plane who bet his co-pilot $100 that they'd survive, it's always safe to bet against disaster -- for, if you're wrong and it happens, how will anyone collect?

Thanks

Pointing the finger of blame isn't going to change anything - but for the record, the WHO clearly states they do not know the origin of the virus. I'll take their advice for the time being. Unless you know something i don't? Did it start in Wuhan, probably, do I know for sure? No.

Meanwhile, in the UK they're avoiding the whole containment approach and just attempting to delay the spread. On the news today they said that they need 60% of the population to get infected to create a 'wall' around the virus.

To put that in perspective, about a week ago the UK government (or branch thereof...) claimed that a worst case scenario would see 80% of the UK population infected and a death toll of around 500,000/half a million people. Even at 60% the UK is aiming for a death toll of around 350,000, so just over a quarter of a million dead.

It's funny but being in Italy where they are trying to do everything possible to contain it and reduce the deaths - I actually feel a lot safer than my old home (London, UK) Of course, I'm not planning any trips up north just yet

It's hardly breaking news that the UK health service (NHS) was pushed to its limits way before this outbreak, and with the cost of each test-kit a whopping 3000 Euros, I can see why they're trying to play this down as much as possible rather than admitting they won't be able to cover the costs. Thankfully, Boris and co. have the media very much under their control so they'll be using that as their primary tool to say to everyone, "it's okay! Don't worry!" as the death toll mounts. If Boris' announcement that there are probably over 10,000 un-diagnosed cases already out there then I'd say now is the time to start taking stock and getting all the essentials in. If it's actually true then it puts the UK currently just under Iran on the charts. I'd say that's worrying, wouldn't you? The fact they don't really know is perhaps more worrying than anything though - it could be a lot more. Something tells me they don't have enough test-kits.

We'll see in about 7-10 days when the UK and the rest of the EU catch up with our numbers. All I'll say is that it's reassuring being in a country that is doing its level best to stop the spread, rather than in a country where they seem to be saying "bring it on!" and nobody bats an eyelid. Boris has been taking a leaf out of Trump's playbook and from what we can see that isn't working so well in the USA right now.
    Last edited by montymole; 2020-03-13 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 59 Posts

A complete post with info and statistics
    Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now
    Politicians, Community Leaders and Business Leaders: What Should You Do and When?

a lot of translation
    Italiano
    Français
    Espanol
    and so on at the bottom of the page

spread in Italy
    Last edited by stefano; 2020-03-14 at 06:55 PM.
    there's someone in my head, but it's not me
    *´¨)
    ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.··*stefano
    (¸.·´ (¸.··*¨)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,070 Times in 145 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stefano View Post
    Politicians, Community Leaders and Business Leaders: What Should You Do and When?

a lot of translation
    Italiano
    Français
    Espanol

spread in Italy
    Very interesting, thank you Stefano!
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefano View Post

a lot of translation
    Italiano
    Français
    Espanol

spread in Italy
    Been reading this page for some time now, it seems really accurate, most predictions are proving to be correct where I live.

Read it, it will help you to be better prepared!

Thanks

First 3 confirmed cases in my county of Erie last night. Press conference starting right now at 11am EST. I have 3 months worth of sick time saved up and I'm hoping to be able to use it and stay home. I work for the county and they're pretty stupid so I'm pretty sure I'll have to work, and with the public, in mass. Terrible.

Thanks
    Thanked 48,329 Times in 1,348 Posts

And the winner is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPByINV-hb4

Indeed, this a prime minister....

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nipote View Post
    And the winner is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPByINV-hb4

Indeed, this a prime minister....
    I already wish he was my president. He's got wispy Trumpish hair but is way less orange and has a brain. So, totally different actually.

Thanks
    Thanked 48,329 Times in 1,348 Posts

Listened first...

His solution is make nothing.
    After 60% of people will infect, virus will be not a problem.
    Death people aren't so important.

What a brain...

I hope that he's joking, for our English friends.

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video