Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning mkv files to playable dvd format

Thanks

Default Burning mkv files to playable dvd format

hello. my question to the fine folks here is that i have an mkv file of some stuff and want to know what free software can be used without watermarks, actually any program that will convert an mkv file into a playable dvd format for burning onto a dvd-r or dvd+r to use in a dvd player? can imageburn be used to do that? please advise and thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,965 Times in 144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by holdingcell View Post
    hello. my question to the fine folks here is that i have an mkv file of some stuff and want to know what free software can be used without watermarks, actually any program that will convert an mkv file into a playable dvd format for burning onto a dvd-r or dvd+r to use in a dvd player? can imageburn be used to do that? please advise and thank you!
    I am not sure if you can do exactly what you wanna do, how you wanna do it. I looked into this a while back and don't think I came across any sort of elegant solution. Like muxing (not re-encoding the video) file into a BD format you definitely can do as long as the file follows the BD standard. I do this all the time. multiavchd can achieve this with menus and stuff and tsmuxer can also do it but you won't have menus.

Now, I'm not sure if you you have a file that follows the DVD standard but in a MKV container if you can just mux into VOB and put in a VIDEO_TS folder and burn to DVD. I've never tried this. Anything I've done with DVD I've always had to re-encode (essentially make lossy) to get into a proper format and folder structure. I've given up on all DVD's because they're a pain in the ass. BD has it's own challenges but I have many files that are MKV that don't require me to mess with to get into proper BD format and I can just pop into multiavchd, create some menus, and mux, without any loss of image quality due to re-encoding.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

I have recently created a couple of DVD-R's from mkv files for a friends father, who could only view them via DVD player.

I used TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6, the free trial is 30 days and is the full version so no watermarks or function limitations, I found it very straightforward.

However; if your source files are 24fps you are going to see some motion 'jerk' whether you are converting to PAL (25fps) or NTSC (29.97fps)

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Thanked 6,965 Times in 144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crewey View Post
    I have recently created a couple of DVD-R's from mkv files for a friends father, who could only view them via DVD player.

I used TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6, the free trial is 30 days and is the full version so no watermarks or function limitations, I found it very straightforward.

However; if your source files are 24fps you are going to see some motion 'jerk' whether you are converting to PAL (25fps) or NTSC (29.97fps)

Hope that helps
    Just to clarify, the files had to be re-encoded though, correct? It did not just take the file or files and mux them into a DVD format losslessly.

Like, if you rip a video off of a DVD into MKV, which would be lossless, can you then reverse that process and remux it back into a DVD structure?

I have the feeling you cannot, but I'd love to be wrong.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

If your streams are DVD spec complaint (which they should be if you simply ripped/muxed them off a DVD), then TMPGEnc might not re-encode them. Once you're laying out the disc, carefully review the track settings. there are settings in there that can force re-encoding for video and/or audio. You'll notice a red "smart render" icon appear if the program will be re-encoding that track. also make sure to select the right template (PAL or NTSC) that matches your source material, or it will re-encode due to the incorrect framerate. good luck!

Thanks

Correct. Unfortunately re-encoding has to occur in this situation for it to be a truly compatible DVD-Video, it's quite a restrictive format relative to what we're now accustomed to.
    Writing the mkv to DVD as a data disc will be fine on many DVD/BluRay players, similar to how popping an mkv onto a USB thumbdrive will too.

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 42 Posts

Dunno if your MKV file is encoded this way, but since Matroska (the name for the MKV file type) files are a container format that can have a variety of encoding formats them, it's possible that your MKV file has MPEG-2 (Part 2) as one of those contained formats.
    If that is the case, you should be able to extract the file contained therein directly without requiring the re-encoding that Buffalo mentioned, with its unavoidable issue of image quality loss.
    You'd need to establish exactly what format the files within the MKV are in, though.
    Naturally, if the contained files are in another format (MOV, MPEG-4, etc.), there is no way to extract them to a format playable on a standalond DVD player without re-encoding, which isn't necessarily the end of the world, but there will be one degree or another of image quality loss with doing that.
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Only a few years ago I realized I could play all those files (mkv, avi, etc) from a small external hard-drive > plugged into the USB slot on my bluray player. You can also plug directly into your TV if you have a 'smart' TV. This was news to me, as I'm not very tech-savvy.

I do prefer a dedicated burned DVD, but this is easier and possibly a better transfer of the file for viewing.

Thanks

Gentlemen
    The original question posed turning MKV files into a playable DVD disc format, has provided some fantastic reading material for me to try to correlate and understand. What I find most interesting is the prospect of putting the MKV file onto a thumb drive, and then plugging that into the USB port of the television set or into the DVD player for it. This would be really neat now if I could figure out how to do it on the TV to actually make it come up on the menu because like you say anything else would denigrate and really turned it into a lossy thing with not much Clarity or skipping on the motion you known all that neat stuff. But what I really want to say is thank you again this is still the best place to be people are so helpful especially when you don't know what you're doing. All the best to you and hunker down during these War times please.

Thanks

I did say thank you....just wanted it known