Thread: Video editing for a noob

Thanks

Default Video editing for a noob

Can someone recommend a free and easy to use video editing program? Just trying to merge some video ya files from a dvd into a single file without causing the original sound to go out of sync with the footage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Can someone recommend a free and easy to use video editing program? Just trying to merge some video ya files from a dvd into a single file without causing the original sound to go out of sync with the footage.
    anything is free if you sail the seven seas

But really if you just want to merge dvds into a single file I'd recommend using MakeMKV, and if it goes out of sync you can set an audio offset with MKVToolnix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notelu View Post

But really if you just want to merge dvds into a single file I'd recommend using MakeMKV, and if it goes out of sync you can set an audio offset with MKVToolnix
    Arrgh! Thatís true matey! Iíll check out MakeMKV. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 42 Posts

I'll admit to being less than even a noob with video editing, but one freeware program that I currently have that might work for your purposes is Avidemux - http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks
    Thanked 6,954 Times in 144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Notelu View Post

I recommend these programs as well. I use MKVToolnix GUI more than any other program on my computer, probably.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,614 Times in 109 Posts

Video...
    Everything is compressed to different levels. Raw uncompressed 1080p is 1GB/min and nobody just plays that. You have to avoid re-compressing already compressed video. Video apps tend to be in full 'malicious compliance' mode. SURE you can set that parameter! Nope, I won't scold you at all! (Haha, nothing will play that set that way! He'll figure it out eventually.)
    See? Ranting already.

DaVinci Resolve is the video editor of choice (as far as this audio guy knows).
    ffmpeg is a format conversion/translation utility that also has many useful things for audio. (Like full decode of dts2496 format which is a ringer.) This is one of the more happiness and light useful apps I've downloaded in a long time!

Again, big disclaimer: I'm an audio guy who hates video apps!
    PS. All of the above is available in Linux as well as OSX.
    Last edited by jimfisheye; 2020-05-02 at 01:35 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 42 Posts

More freeware editing software that I have used:
    Openshot - https://www.openshot.org/download/
    Shotcut - https://www.shotcut.org/download/
    Kdenlive - https://kdenlive.org/en/download/
    Blender - https://www.blender.org/download/
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks

For anyone else who stumbles across this, DGIndex (aka DGMPGDec) is an older but great freeware tool for joining together VOB files. It will output/extract the raw video and audio files, which can then be joined using MKVToolNix. A tiny bit of extra work compared to MakeMKV, but it has advantages if you plan on making further modifications to either the video or audio before putting it into an MKV.

A good example being a live DVD with great video but inherently poor or out-of-sync audio. I'll often drag the audio file into my DAW and modify as needed; save that file, drag it into MKVToolNix with the original video file, and mux. Really great tool for those looking into doing restorative work and makes the process dead simple without having to re-encode the entire file before muxing.