Thread: Key and Speed correction

Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 22 Posts

Default Key and Speed correction

I did not take music theory and need an easy way to calculate how to make the correction in reaper.

Dogs for example
    Reference D minor 109 BPM
    Concert Audio A minor 115 BPM

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post
    I did not take music theory and need an easy way to calculate how to make the correction in reaper.

Dogs for example

Thanks
    Would this also apply to Adobe Audition? I don't have Reaper and I need to work on fixing some recordings for NeonKnight, so I would like to see if this applies to that as well.
    "And they're gonna kill ya; So like, If you give em a quick short, sharp, shock, they don't do it again. Dig it?"

Thanks

I use Audition cc 2020 and new to reaper

Thanks

I am a drummer and do not have a clue what the key of anything is.

I found an audio "calculator" on line. drag in the audio file and it calculates the Key and BPM which is better than anything I am capable of doing on my own right now.

https://tunebat.com/Analyzer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post

Dogs for example

Thanks
    Hi, if I am correct, you want to:

1. Convert an audio file from 115 BPM to 109 BPM
    2. Transpose the file from A minor to D minor

This is how I would do it:

(a) Open a new project in Reaper, set to 109 BPM
    (b) Place the audio file in a track, then right click, then "Item properties", then set 0.9478 in "Playback rate", check "Preserve pitch when changing rate", then "Apply". (Note that 0.9478=109/115).
    (c) Load "ReaPitch (Cockos)" plugin to the track, if you want to Transpose from A to D upwards, set 5 in "Shift (semitones)". If you want to Transpose from A to D downwards, set -7 in "Shift (semitones)".

You could also change pitch in (b) writing the semitones you want in "Pith adjust (semitones)", then uncheck "Preserve pitch when changing rate" and you wouldn't need to make (c). However, I would suggest the 3 steps method in order to take full control of every change.

English is not my mother language so please excuse me if there is any mistake in my explanation.
    aka locombiano in pinkfloyd.cl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 29 Posts

OMG!

sorry guys... but i am reading a lot of things here which leave me a bit worried... very worried...

i mean, just the point that you are asking here "how" to make such kind of works should tell you that, perhaps, you aren't up to the task... and, please, forget about all that "calculations" about BPM and keys... there isn't such a "rule"... you are evaluating a (digitalized) recording running on analog tape...

just to give you a couple hints... to make a proper speed correction you need to:

1) have EXCELLENT "musical" ears (easier to happen if you play, say, a guitar or keyboard or, even better, violin)

2) knowing Floyd's songs' keys well, which is most likely if you spent decades of your life while playing them with your guitar (just to make an example about myself)

3) usually, speed errors are NOT of precise tones or semitones but they can be a fraction of them and be varying throughout the whole recording... so, to know if this is the case, you need to see again point 1 and point 2.

4) knowing the audio editor software very well and in details... as there are many things you might do without even realizing it and which do ruin the sound quality

5) a bit of good experience about all the above points.

sorry guys... i just don't want to sound rude... but, at the same time, i am reading here into this thread a few things which make me " " quite a bit.

But, hey, if you can say "yes, I do" on any of the above points then, well, go on with self-confidence... if it's really so, I'd say you just don't need to ask how to do that.... don't you?

Cheers,

Vince.

Thanks

I'd also note that, while there are tools that can help automate the process, they should be used in a specific context (mainly to compensate for constantly changing speed), you have to know how to use them, and they're likely to fail when trying to detect pitch in a lo-fi bootleg recording. I personally don't have much occasion to use them, though a few people have done so effectively.

Also keep in mind that, from an aesthetic point of view, it's often tempting to make things run a bit fast: the voices sound lighter and more youthful, the tempos are more brisk and exciting, etc. So that's something to be careful about.

But yes, you can do a lot of harm to a recording very quickly if you don't use these tools correctly. Seeing a change from "D minor" to "A minor" troubles me, as that would be a massive shift of 33% or more in speed -- far more than any Pink Floyd recording should ever need -- while the BPM thing should never come up as part of a speed correction. And make sure never to change pitch without changing tempo, or vice versa!
    Last edited by goldenband; 2020-05-06 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks

Ok experts. How bout if I share the audio with you and you can advise what adjustments to make. Fair enough?