Thread: Somewhat stupid dumb self promotion with a plea for your help!

Thanks

Default Somewhat stupid dumb self promotion with a plea for your help!

Friends,

Long time lurker, one time artist Alex here.
    I want to attract your attention to a project which is very close to my bleeding heart. I am a musician besides being an artist and animator and I've been working in the world of the Pink Floyd for nearly half my life.
    I've been working on an album which I intend to release on the 1st of April.

The reason I'm out here is not per-say for promotional purposes. It's more with a plea for help.
    This album of mine derive its inner core from Roger and his the post-dsotm Floyd. I'll drop the promotext below for you to read.
    I want this album to be heard, not sold, heard! I want people to listen closely as It seems that the world is on the brink of a breakdown.
    Its a public service announcement from a a swedish dude who've binged on good music.

I am very active on Twitter @bcpmusic1 but I can't seem to find the proper circles of Pink Floyd fans.
    I used to be active on instagram but that place is crap for music promotion.

How would you advice me when it comes to reaching deep into the heart of the Floyd fan community?
    (apart from indirectly promoting myself here).

Is there anybody out there? (pun intended...Who'd like to help me?)

Alex

Here's the promo text:

"It Won't Change A Thing" is a progressive, industrial, alternative rock concept album, about resisting oppression from despotic style rulership and the dawn of a potential big brother Orwellian nightmare.
    A modern protest album for the Trumpian age it is due for released on the 1st of April 2020. Musically it is in the vein of Pink Floyd and Nine Inch Nails with a heavy nod towards "The Wall" and "Year Zero".
    The music is filled with a soundscape of masterful storytelling woven together with emotive and expressive vocalizations. It is like being in the calm of the storm just before all hell breaks loose and you get sucked into the centre of a tornado. Stand up, defy, be the revolution.

30 minutes worth of singles from the album: https://soundcloud.com/mmxp/sets/it-...-thing-preview
    and just so you know it's me... https://www.youtube.com/mmxp

Speak to me!

Thanks

Really... 350 views and not a single comment?!
    I mean it makes me out to be a shamless selfpromoting douche doesnt it?

Does anyone have a finger to point me in a good direction to market an album which may, or may not, be a bogus "The Wall" experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d1IPnEIaNc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmxp.com View Post
    Really... 350 views and not a single comment?!
    Yeah, sorry. I was one of those who looked but I thought I'd leave responding to someone better qualified. (Promotion, self or otherwise, is not really one of my strong points.)

I mean it makes me out to be a shamless selfpromoting douche doesnt it?
    Don't be so harsh on yourself. You were upfront and honest about the desire to promote your work, whether here or elsewhere. If that failed to fire here, that doesn't make you a douche.

That said, and I definitely speak only for myself here, your pitch for your project didn't entice me personally.

Does anyone have a finger to point me in a good direction to market an album which may, or may not, be a bogus "The Wall" experience?
    And there again I'm afraid I can't help you here. I personally avoid most of the usual marketing channels / review sites / media etc. and basically find stuff via dubious music forums (from which I do do the right thing and buy what I've heard and liked) or via some kind of n degrees of separation from artists I know I do like or via legit online retailers with decent samples for helping to decide (e.g. Boomkat and Bandcamp).

Good luck with your project though.

Thanks

The album is out and people say its "The Wall meets Animal farm". I'm gonna stop bugging you now with this promotional stuff. Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3hXhG...S1KDo3k0RGRXtQ

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?l...3c6c9OxByrVCWQ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmxp.com View Post
    The album is out and people say its "The Wall meets Animal farm". I'm gonna stop bugging you now with this promotional stuff. Enjoy!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3hXhG...S1KDo3k0RGRXtQ

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?l...3c6c9OxByrVCWQ
    Thanks for the heads up. I gave it a listen but not my style unfortunately. Congratulations for getting it out there, though.

Thanks

Man y'all suck, help this damn dude out. I'll listen to it this weekend. Sounds interesting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickrophilia View Post
    Man y'all suck, help this damn dude out. I'll listen to it this weekend. Sounds interesting.
    Thanks man. I guess I was hoping for someone to remember my name and contribution but that was long ago.
    Hint: We wouldn't have "The Fishermen in Copenhagen 1988" if it wasn't for this grumpy old geezer. or a bunch of cover art sets that I still see now and again.

I just hope that I can add a little Floyd/Waters tonality in a time where everything seems to have frozen in time.
    Now I know that not all people care for the angry political voice of ol' Jolly Roger but the world needs protest music. And that's what I've made.

Besides all that nonsense I have absolutely not a single shred of shame in my body, so I will relay a short review of the album as well.
    I wrote this piece for, among other interested parties, the Pink Floyd fans. That's what I'm trying to convey.

"IT WON'T CHANGE A THING" by MMXP is a ballsy and bonafide masterpiece. Recorded on a laptop using samples and vocals via a smartphone it is an ultra-modern piece albeit well rooted in and nourished by a plethora of rock legends and icons.

"MMXP - ultimately Alex Ahlstrand aided by a few friends - have produced a seriously good "serious" album which distills the genius of Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, Radiohead and David Bowie et al into a phenomenal dystopian soundtrack. In essence a 3 act concept opera about Orwellian corruption, political caricatures and the relative madness of our decadent era this is likely to terrify you witless if your bag is frivolous throwaway culture and pop pap.

Of course there's much more to be gleaned from this work of genius but it's not for me to prescribe or reveal it's for you to find out. You need to hear this. It is a very poignant and relevant album and has all the hallmarks and gravity of a future classic. ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 26 Posts

thanks for sharing your own work, Alex.

at now, i've only given it a super-quick listen by jumping here and there... and I perfectly know this is NOT the way to listen to an album, any album, sorry.

actually, I am curious about such a sort of mix between the "most bitter" side of Waters and NIN...
    I used to listen to NIN a lot during the whole 90's then it should fit my tastes in a way or another... just need to find the right moment to listen to such kind of music again.

I've saved the link you shared of youtube music and I hope I will give it a careful (and full) listen shortly.
    But the "mood" i've got from the few bits i've listened now seems interesting.
    At the same time, I understand this isn't easy listening music... then, to be realistic, i fear you won't find too many who might actually like it... but, hey, I believe you don't have any intentions to become a pop or rock star... don't you?

Don't know if i will come here again to write about your work... I am just unable to make any kinds of reviews about music or to even talk about music or to simply "judge" it, and i am only good in listening to it... but I will listen to your album with the needed care, which is what really counts, after all.

Being a long-time (DIY) musician myself, I guess I can easily understand your point of view... and i know it's not easy to be a musician who loves to produce something which is far from the mainstream, and especially during this "modern" era.

So, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Vince.