Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storage to Stereo Receiver Question

Thanks
    Thanked 6,958 Times in 144 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by demamo View Post
    Can you send me a link to a NAS box so I can get an idea of what you, TJ Mack and Jimfisheye are referring to?? All three - feel free to chime in. Thanks again!
    I didn't read the whole thread but I do have an 8 bay Synology box and I love it. You don't need to get that crazy but you could get a nice 2 bay or 4 bay box and populate it with some higher capacity drives. Once you go NAS you'll wonder how you ever went without. That was my experience.

Something like this would probably suit your needs just fine, nothing fancy though...

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Disk...ogy+nas&sr=8-7
    Last edited by buffalofloyd; 2020-07-18 at 01:20 PM.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread but I do have an 8 bay Synology box and I love it. You don't need to get that crazy but you could get a nice 2 bay or 4 bay box and populate it with some higher capacity drives. Once you go NAS you'll wonder how you ever went without. That was my experience.

Something like this would probably suit your needs just fine, nothing fancy though...

Thanks buffalofloyd, much appreciated. Still trying to understand the main differences (beyond storage capacity) between the Synology and WD solutions. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Thanks buffalofloyd, much appreciated. Still trying to understand the main differences (beyond storage capacity) between the Synology and WD solutions. Any thoughts on that?
    I think TJ's post explain is the best. I have no experience with the WD stuff. I'd imagine they are more limited. Synology is a trusted brand, not saying WD isn't, but Synology specialize in NAS's specifically, or networking devices. There is so much stuff I can do with my NAS but for the most part I don't use it.

Being able to access things from outside my home is nice, streaming music and video. NAS might be overkill for your needs, not sure. Just to remember though, NAS is not a backup solution for your stuff, but it does have redundancy. I still backup all 60tb, or whatever I have, to standard HDD's. This is done automatically through some software in my Synology. Whatever I put on the NAS I have set to automatically duplicate to the appropriate folders on certain HDD's connected directly to my PC. So, if the NAS fails I still have my regular HDD's with all the stuff, and vice versa. I also make blu-ray data backups of most everything too, though I've slacked on that as of late.

Not sure any of that really helped but maybe google or youtube what the differences are. I'd be willing to gamble the Synology will have more features though. Whether you'll use them or not is a different story.

Thanks

It may be too much of a hobbyist option, but I built a Plex Media Server using a Raspberry Pi and a portable hard drive. You can stream video; audio and music to almost any device (including your phone and tablet when you are away from home). The interface is a little like Netflix to use, but everything is hosted on the Raspberry Pi.

Like I say, it isnít an out of the box solution (and there is a bit of a learning curve to get everything up and running).

https://www.plex.tv/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post

Buffalofloyd, I've done some research on WD and Seagate Cloud Solutions and they don't support DLNA (anymore) so I'm back to the Synology Solution. Could you tell me your thoughts on the difference between your link above and this one: Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS220j (Diskless), 2-bay; 512MB DDR4. Trying to figure out if my link might be a more updated (and therefore cheaper) than yours. You know, sometimes, it's about supply and demand and an older product may be seller for more for now other reason than there are only a few left.

Thanks

I keep things simple. My data is on a 4TB WD Passport which I plug into my Oppo via USB cable.

Thanks

Buffalofloyd, I've done some research on WD and Seagate Cloud Solutions and they don't support DLNA (anymore) so I'm back to the Synology Solution. Could you tell me your thoughts on the difference between your link above and this one: Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS220j (Diskless), 2-bay; 512MB DDR4. Trying to figure out if my link might be a more updated (and therefore cheaper) than yours. You know, sometimes, it's about supply and demand and an older product may be seller for more for now other reason than there are only a few left.
    I don't know enough about all the different models and their capabilities but the one you linked to looks like it might be newer. It has a Realtek CPU, like the one I linked, the same CPU in fact. The DS220j looks to utilize DDR4 Ram though, but only 512gb, which should be enough to get you going, though I'd recommend at least a gig. I can't speak to how good the CPU is though. My box uses a Intel Atom chip, which seems ok for my needs. I wish it was more powerful for better video transcoding, like an i5 or i7, but those are a bit more expensive and I'm not sure they come in the 8 bay variety, which I wanted. When I go to my girls place we sometimes stream movies or TV shows from my Synology, which is located at my house and it works pretty well. It doesn't work so great for some very high bitrate stuff though. This could come down to the CPU and internet connection, but I think our internet is fast enough with us both having 100/10. When I bought my box the highest capacity drives available were 10tb and I'm running RAID6/SHR2 with a 2 disk redundancy, so I wanted to make sure I had enough slots for upgrading. I'm current using all 8 bays now with a mix of 10 and 12tb drives and have 75% capacity.

I'm not sure if any of this helps you but I'd buy the most powerful box for the money you're willing to spend. Make sure to read reviews and look on youtube for reviews on specific models you might be interested in. This is how I go about making decisions on everything I purchase. Try to future proof yourself a little bit. You may want to consider getting a unit with more bays that's a little less powerful, or perhaps a more powerful 2 bay solution, even possibly this.... DS720+

Whatever route you go I'm sure you'll be ok. Getting your feet wet with a slightly cheaper solution might be the way to go. I went crazy and just jumped in head first and bought a ton of stuff at once. Some learning curves with network setup and all that but I couldn't be happier, and I learned some stuff along the way.

Thanks

Thanks again Buffalofloyd