Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Roger vs David part 1000000000

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swanlee View Post
    Relevance? She has been the main lyricist for Pink Floyd since 1994
    Right, so basically one album.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 42 Posts

I’ve always struggled with the fact that she was a journalist before she met Dave. I’m mean journalists work with words, but it’s a world away from poetry or lyricism. Some of the lyrics on TDB are so cringey it shows. I appreciate that she’s been with Dave for decades now, knows him incredibly well etc but she’d not known him long when TDB was written and recorded. I really wish Dave had just gone instrumental if he didn’t feel confident about lyrics, or even if he’d collaborated with another professional singer songwriter for a couple of single if he thought instrumentals wouldn’t sell. It’s not like Floyd fans don’t like instrumentals.

I do feel sorry to Roger, having watched the video. We're all the worse off for him being frozen out.
    I must admit i never go to the official Pink Floyd pages for just the reasons he mentions. Very sad.
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 2020-05-21 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheRave View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss her contributions, they are what they are. I'm not a fan, but not a hater either. To me its more of a question of relevance. She's kind of a footnote, or single chapter, in the big long story of Pink Floyd.

On the website her non-Floyd work gets, in my opinion, more publicity than deserved when compared to her contributions to Pink Floyd.
    Right, so basically one album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I’ve always struggled with the fact that she was a journalist before she met Dave. I’m mean journalists work with words, but it’s a world away from poetry or lyricism. Some of the lyrics on TDB are so cringey it shows. I appreciate that she’s been with Dave for decades now, knows him incredibly well etc but she’d not known him long when TDB was written and recorded. I really wish Dave had just gone instrumental if he didn’t feel confident about lyrics, or even if he’d collaborated with another professional singer songwriter for a couple of single if he thought instrumentals wouldn’t sell. It’s not like Floyd fans don’t like instrumentals.
    Okay we get it: big bad evil woman is being evil. David Gilmour does whatever he wants with the Pink Floyd brand. Again for those at the back: DAVID GILMOUR CAN DO WHATEVER HE WANTS WITH THE PINK FLOYD BRAND!

The very fact that people are not attacking David but his wife by pretending that she is irrelevant or manipulate David WITOUT A SINGLE EVIDENCE shows their true colours. This is sexism. No more no less. If your point was REALLY about what Roger has to say, you would have criticized David Gilmour decisions. But, no: you focused on his WIFE. That's petty
    Last edited by Eckoes; 2020-05-21 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks

Iím not sexist. You donít even know me.

Thanks

I’m not sexist. You don’t even know me.
    So stop acting like one, stop focusing on her again anad again and again and again, and attack David Gilmour decisions. Not HER. It's that easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eckoes View Post
    If your point was REALLY about what Roger has to say, you would have criticized David Gilmour decisions. But, no: you focused on his WIFE. That's petty
    By that definition Roger is also petty and sexist. David may also be petty but he doesn't do it publicly and doesn't seem care what Roger thinks. I happen to like Polly's work and contributions for what it's worth. Roger left the band and David, Nick and Rick won the lawsuit over 25 years ago. He and Nick can promote whatever and whomever they want, however they want.

I don't dislike Roger or his music. Quite the contrary. I've seen him live more times than David and probably play his solo works more often. He just has no case here and stepped way over the line to publicly talk about his former bandmate's wife.
    Last edited by MGoBlue1989; 2020-05-22 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks

... and that's how fans got polarized, fighting against each other over two persons who they don't even know personally. But taking it all personally.

Looks very similar to people who fight over politicians. Left vs right, blues vs reds, donkeys vs elephants...

And, in the end, not Waters nor Gilmour care a bit on what any single one of you (us) think.

Congratulations: we all were (are) useful idiots. Instead of letting them kill themselves, it is us who are killing and insulting ourselves. It was the fans who ended fighting their war instead of them. How easy it is to become a pawn!

Who's to blame? Waters for reigniting old grudges every single time? Gilmour for applying him the silent treatment in social media and fueling Roger's rage even more? Us for letting be dragged to their personal feud?

Reading all the foolishness in this thread (including mine) I realize again music can make people get together, sure, but all the rest outside it alienates us. What do we choose now?
    R.M.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruben77 View Post
    Reading all the foolishness in this thread (including mine)
    Guilty as charged. It is tiring, and yet I can't avoid it sometimes. The train wreck syndrome is real....

Thanks for trying to reel it in. Seriously.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruben77 View Post
    ... and that's how fans got polarized, fighting against each other over two persons who they don't even know personally. But taking it all personally.

Looks very similar to people who fight over politicians. Left vs right, blues vs reds, donkeys vs elephants...

And, in the end, not Waters nor Gilmour care a bit on what any single one of you (us) think.

Congratulations: we all were (are) useful idiots. Instead of letting them kill themselves, it is us who are killing and insulting ourselves. It was the fans who ended fighting their war instead of them. How easy it is to become a pawn!

Who's to blame? Waters for reigniting old grudges every single time? Gilmour for applying him the silent treatment in social media and fueling Roger's rage even more? Us for letting be dragged to their personal feud?

Reading all the foolishness in this thread (including mine) I realize again music can make people get together, sure, but all the rest outside it alienates us. What do we choose now?
    What is this voice of reason wizardry of which you speak?
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks
    Thanked 6,294 Times in 134 Posts

This is the thread about David Crosby talking smack about Neil Youngs wife, right? Oh nuts, my bad, wrong David, wrong feud all together... life is hard

We really shouldn't care much about any of this IMO. ruben77 said it perfectly. We don't know any of these people personally, so why take any of this personally. I'm a fanboy of Floyd and I don't spend one single waking moment thinking about this feud anymore, it's wasted energy. Nothing will be excised here and the band will never reunite. I just enjoy what we had, everything else is just noise, including this thread, and this post specifically.
    Last edited by buffalofloyd; 2020-05-22 at 01:58 AM.
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!