Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Roger vs David part 1000000000

Thanks

Everything seemed to be going so well around 2011. Gilmour went to Water's show and played, they seemed to be in very good terms. I wonder what went so wrong...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ruben77 View Post
    Reading all the foolishness in this thread (including mine) I realize again music can make people get together, sure, but all the rest outside it alienates us. What do we choose now?
    Guilty too. Thanks for being the voice of reason

Thanks

I definitely donít take any of this stuff personally, or even particularly care about Roger and Davidís feelings about each other in any meaningful way. Just observing and commenting on it when I am slow at work because I like the music they made together. That said, itís not like we just started discussing this out of boredom. Roger put up a tweet, like the president (US) does, and weíre dissecting it. For all Rogerís criticisms, it is a rather Trumpian move, which is maybe why I am interested and a little surprised. There are aspects of his personality that embody the type of people that he most harshly criticizes. I wonít get into the psychology of that here, but it is interesting. Iíve always been a bit skeptical of this newer friendlier Roger we have seen since he came back in 1999. It seems like a persona he has developed, and things like this tweet donít exactly help to convince me otherwise. Now I am really stirring the pot!

Iíve actually enjoyed reading this thread, and I am usually fairly allergic to Roger vs. David stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 42 Posts

I post one measured thing about Polly being a poor lyricist and get slated for being sexist. This thread is a joke.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Roger put up a tweet, like the president (US) does, and weíre dissecting it. For all Rogerís criticisms, it is a rather Trumpian move, which is maybe why I am interested and a little surprised. There are aspects of his personality that embody the type of people that he most harshly criticizes. I wonít get into the psychology of that here, but it is interesting. Iíve always been a bit skeptical of this newer friendlier Roger we have seen since he came back in 1999. It seems like a persona he has developed, and things like this tweet donít exactly help to convince me otherwise.
    indeed. he's a bit "holier than thou," and would do well to contain his attacks to just the political and social figures he's already famous for attacking (even though that's gotten a bit long in the tooth, as well). him bringing polly into this just exposes how illegitimate he thinks david's floyd is (or was, i guess). but no one's forcing him to listen to her lyrics, or to read her books. and any of his opinions of the band, after he left, are worth shit to me. as the kids say today, he should "stay in his lane:" as a former member, who leads a tribute band to his former band, and sometimes does solo stuff...

as for fans fighting amongst themselves over this kind of thing, our heroes should be called out for their behaviour, when they stray from what made them worth giving a damn about! it's just that we all have different heroes, and we're passionate about them in different ways, to different degrees. for example, i'm really pleased with nick, for staying out of most of this drama through the years, and for reminding us all of the floyd that we should appreciate the most! i wish i could care about roger more, but i just don't trust him. i love him for his contributions to the old floyd, but i'm well aware that he's a flawed human, with many an agenda up his sleeve. (full disclosure, i love david, too, but i don't give a flip about his family gathering thing, either. haven't watched any of it, and don't want to. so, i don't. i'll pay attention again when he announces a new solo album, or farewell tour!)

anyway, bottom line for me is, roger should promote his own stuff on his own site, and leave the official site alone (unless he has stuff he wants to share, from when he was in the band). if david, or whomever, doesn't want to put up his "tribute to pink floyd" videos (which are really just "tribute to himself" videos, i think), then so be it. move on, roger. that band you left doesn't want you back!! get back in the studio, and record some more inferior-but-better-than-nothing songs of your own...

end rant!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I post one measured thing about Polly being a poor lyricist and get slated for being sexist. This thread is a joke.
    i don't think you're sexist, but c'mon, of course polly is a poor lyricist if you're comparing her to roger. i mean, who could david have tapped to co-write with, that would have measured up? no-one. he himself admitted he couldn't carry that burden, so he did the best he could (with mixed results on 'aMLoR' as well). it was a no-win situation, no matter how he went ahead, because of what went before. but it was a different kind of floyd, and having said that, i think polly did a good job, for the most part... except for "louder than words." ****, i hate those lyrics! (so much so, that i cut out the vocal sections of that song, so that MY go-to copy of 'tER' is forever lyric-free!)

edit: i didn't know we can't swear on this site? strange... but "EFFF-word, i hate those lyrics!"
    Last edited by geoffers; 2020-05-22 at 08:12 AM.

at home in wolverhampton u.k or in a tent up a mountain or sumsuch.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoffers View Post
    i wish i could care about roger more, but i just don't trust him.
    Same here. Connery is the only Bond.

Sorry....had to do it.

Thanks

Blimey, I'm glad I jumped ship back around 1972! I missed all this fun.

Thanks

I agree with you. My comment acknowledged her contribution but noted that relative to the bandís total output, its rather small. And I get slammed for it. Too many ❄️Ďs here. Time to go back my quarantine again.

Thanks

This thread is a joke.
    I thought the title made that clear.