Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Academic survey about ROIO trading sites like THIS one.

Thanks

Default Academic survey about ROIO trading sites like THIS one.

Hello!
    I’m a site member of 10+ years and I’d like to ask for your help in doing some academic research. I’m a doctoral student in English at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, and I’m researching something of interest to two related fields, Rhetoric and Composition and Technical Communication. My goal is to gain better understanding about how new technical documentation genres originate and evolve OUTSIDE of established industrial institutions and to better understand community-institutional relationships.

I invite you to click on the link below, read the informed consent form, and if you are willing, answer some questions about your activities as a Recording of Independent Origin (ROIO) collector and/or creator. I’d also like to hear from some site moderators or others who work on the site. Your already anonymous screen names will be changed in all reporting and publication, and you can skip any questions you like. Also, you may retroactively revoke your participation if you so desire. The survey should take about 15-30 minutes to complete.

If you have any questions, you may PM me here on the site or e-mail me at jserio@uwm.edu. Thank you in advance to anyone who participates!

Here is the link to the survey: https://milwaukee.qualtrics.com/jfe/...JmGLc0xYCktJxr

Thank you in advance!

EDIT: IN response to feedback, there are a couple things I want to clarify in the survey. First, the question about "ethos" is more about the values and stances that a person takes than about ethics. For example, one could say that Fred Roger's ethos could be defined as one of a person who valued kindness, education, and children in a troublesome society but without directly attacking elements of that society, showing that he also valued individual responsibility. (Sorry, best example I could come up with on my first cup of coffee). Or more to the point, Roger may be said, with his statements about the rest of the band and his political actions, to have a decidedly different ethos than Rick, the quiet one. It's a tricky topic but one that we use a lot in my field and this just shows how we scholars forget how to talk with people outside our bubbles. :-)

Second, by "bootleggers" I mean people who manufacture unofficial recordings for sale. People who actually do the taping for trade and such I call "ROIO creators" or "tapers."

More clarifications to some, I'm sure. I'm still an apprentice at this. :-) If these clarifications lead you to want to change/add to a response that is already collected, I think you might be able to do that for 1 week. (I might be mistaken, as I never used Qualtrex before.) Thank you all once again!

EDIT 2: Toldya! The question about how you choose to write your technical details has been clarified. This is great experience. Thank you all!

riograndejoe
    Last edited by RioGrandeJoe; 2020-04-14 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,367 Times in 146 Posts

Interesting post, this. I do hope it was cleared by Nipote, or TJ, or some other Staff?

At any rate, good luck with your studies, music is the best subject!
    Last edited by theembryo; 2020-04-13 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks

Yes, I approached the admin regarding this first. Please consider taking the survey; it doesn't ask personal questions and should only take about 15 minutes.

Thanks
    Thanked 45,859 Times in 1,261 Posts

You'll have my help

Pink Floyd Audio and Video
    Roger Waters Audio and Video
    David Gilmour Audio and Video
    Syd Barrett Audio and Video
    Nick Mason Audio and Video
    Richard Wright Audio and Video

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nipote View Post
    You'll have my help

Thank you! Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theembryo View Post
    Interesting post, this. I do hope it was cleared by Nipote, or TJ, or some other Staff?

At any rate, good luck with your studies, music is the best subject!
    He's not that stupid.

Thanks

I completed the survey. It was fun!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 42 Posts

I just did it, and I would encourage anyone with about a half hour or so to complete it.
    As mentioned in my comments at the very end, it was rather wordy, but it's easy to have a lot to say about one's own passions.
    Thanks for your excellent survey, and I hope you get your doctorate with this survey as a key piece to getting there.
    Good luck!
    "I don't know; I was really drunk at the time." - Henry McCullough

Thanks

I pitched in as well. Good luck to you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tjmack View Post
    He's not that stupid.
    Just stupid enough!!