Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The one that got away: or, the 1972-05-22 pro recording that didn't happen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonmc57 View Post
    They had a written contract, from who, not the band it seems. You have to feel for them though, all excited and geared up to go. The article doesn't say, but I wonder if they got to record any other acts.
    It's not an article, it's an excerpt from a novel. I apologise for labouring the point, but no one seems to be getting this. To be fair, neither do the people making comments on that web page either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snagu View Post
    Maybe you just missed my post just above where I quote from the guy's web page saying that it's an excerpt from his next novel, i.e. a work of fiction.
    yes, sir.... i had DEFINITELY missed your point.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,339 Times in 135 Posts

Hehe, then i preface my previous comment with *If this were true...
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

For the record, I did notice that he mentioned his "novel", though I figured it was either a malapropism for "memoir" or, maybe, a joke of sorts since there's no other reference to it on the Internet and the writing isn't especially novelistic.

However, I overlooked the date/venue muddling -- i.e. British Rock Meeting vs. Rock Circus, 21st vs. 22nd -- vs. and above all, spaced out on the fact that the Floyd didn't play DSOTM on 1972-05-21 or 1972-05-22: oops! Chalk it up to too many late quarantine nights...

Assuming there's zero chance of an undocumented DSOTM performance at either of these gigs (and I'm unaware of any evidence whatsoever for one), this suggests one of three possibilities:

• The author sincerely mixed something up;
    • He intentionally fudged the details for dramatic effect, since typical readers would care more about DSOTM than about a setlist of odds and ends; or,
    • The whole thing is bogus.

Personally, given the guy's background in pro audio, I'm guessing this is a true story with some butchered details (intentionally or not). But if it's complete fiction, mea culpa!

The irony is, I was more interested in the comments anyway. Always looking for someone who posts on these memory threads that they have a tape, sitting somewhere in their attic...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Personally, given the guy's background in pro audio, I'm guessing this is a true story with some butchered details (intentionally or not). But if it's complete fiction, mea culpa!

The irony is, I was more interested in the comments anyway. Always looking for someone who posts on these memory threads that they have a tape, sitting somewhere in their attic...
    There is indeed truth to it, as recounted on a thread from a good while ago. TL;DR: Paul did have permission to tape the 21st, but was stopped for the same reason described here. The linked posts don't mention DSotM nor quadraphonic sound, so I imagine those details were made up for added drama.

And yeah, I agree with wanting more tapes to surface. The lack of any shows from October 1970 outside of two California dates is pretty disappointing, as is the dearth from September '72. Who knows? I bet all these quarantines have spurred people to use their free time rummaging through basements and attics and maybe finding an old crate or two of tapes. That might be the spark behind a few of the surprises that have popped up recently, so let's hope for more.
    Last edited by Blatch; 2020-06-14 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    But if it's complete fiction, mea culpa!
    i'd say that, even if it turns out to be complete fiction, you are NOT to blame in any ways.

the story itself was just funny to read, then it was a worthy read.
    it was also nice to think for a while about some nice recording the guy might have made.

of course, later, while trying to figure out dates, venues, setlists a bit better... it was easy to realize that may 21th and 22th are perhaps the only dates in 1972 where they didn't play the dark side suite.

so, thanks for sharing it regardless of anything.

Thanks

Thanks

What was with them not allowing microphones on the amps? Like are you allowing a multi-track recording of the event or not? Such a shame, those artists could've used those recordings in the future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blatch View Post
    There is indeed truth to it, as recounted on a thread from a good while ago. TL;DR: Paul did have permission to tape the 21st, but was stopped for the same reason described here. The linked posts don't mention DSotM nor quadraphonic sound, so I imagine those details were made up for added drama.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinktree1 View Post
    Thanks, Blatch and pinktree1. I completely missed that thread, of course! Glad to know the basic story is accurate, and the specific one I linked is just an embroidered version (irritating that the waters got muddied like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Blatch View Post
    And yeah, I agree with wanting more tapes to surface. The lack of any shows from October 1970 outside of two California dates is pretty disappointing, as is the dearth from September '72. Who knows? I bet all these quarantines have spurred people to use their free time rummaging through basements and attics and maybe finding an old crate or two of tapes. That might be the spark behind a few of the surprises that have popped up recently, so let's hope for more.
    Fingers always crossed! If nothing else, maybe the 50-year copyright thing will open some vaults, but generosity of spirit is even better.