Thread: Germersheim 1972 Lp rip

Thanks

Default Germersheim 1972 Lp rip

I recently picked up a sealed copy of the Germersheim lp, and I am doing a 24/96 rip. Would anyone like to volunteer to take the files and remove clicks and pops / master it? I think the consensus is that the Double Bubble lp is the better source, but I figure a rip of this unplayed (until now) lp might be of interest to some. Sounds very nice to my ear. Just let me know in the thread if interested!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,829 Times in 94 Posts

As long as there's no rush I'm willing to take this on.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,576 Times in 109 Posts

I transferred a vinyl copy to 24/96 a few years ago. It had a lot of noise in the vinyl. It looked near mint... Probably simply a very poor quality pressing. I don't think it was a recording of a previous vinyl bootleg with damage. (I once had one with a recording of a repeating skip going through a few loops before someone nudged the tonearm. An odd thing to hear when staring the near mint vinyl down that's playing and not seeing anything skipping!)

Anyway, there's some good sound on that recording under the noise.
    Then there are another two recorders. I don't remember where I thought the tapers were located vs each other. I'm pretty sure no one is near a speaker stack. The 3 recorders together should produce a decent sounding stereo and/or quad matrix.

I know I put this aside because of the click and pop issues with the vinyl source. I think iZotopeRX would finally be up to the task to clean it up without damage.
    Or... this new copy might be better!

Thanks

Jim, reading your notes on your upload of that rip from like 12 years ago was the thing that made me pull the trigger on this unopened copy. I thought it might play more cleanly. The copy I got is not absolutely perfect, but it very well might be better. When listening last night, there were only a few times where I noticed intrusive pops and I think this will clean up well, and without an insane amount of trouble. If you get the itch, feel free to use it in a project once it’s cleaned up. I kind of forgot how cool this show was.

Bert: thanks! I will send you a message when I get the files on my g drive, and I’ll send it your way. Definitely no rush!

That repeated loop thing jogged my memory. That old boot compilation "Stranger Than Fiction" uses Atom Heart Mother from this lp, and indeed, there is a part of Funky Dung that repeats like 60 times and then you hear someone bump the tone arm. Before that, it sounds like they tried to fade it out or something... it's a mess, and it makes me laugh trying to imagine what the guy was thinking while he did the transfer. He must have been down to his last 74 minute cdr or something and he thought doing a fade out would mask it, but then he thought to change course in the middle of it and bump the tone arm, and then slowly fade back up. Smoooth
    Last edited by Lennyif; 2020-07-14 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks

I forgot I uploaded that failed transfer attempt. The transfer was OK. My attempt at reducing the noise didn't go so well and did damage. This was before the modern era digital tools.

The first time I heard a vinyl copy of previously recorded damaged and skipping vinyl was an eye opener! Bootlegs of bootlegs?!
    I remember looking at the near mint vinyl and staring down the stylus as it was perfectly tracking away while I'm listening to a repeating skip looping. Thought I was losing my mind at first! I don't remember the name of the boot or the show but the looped skip was in the middle of Echoes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    That repeated loop thing jogged my memory. That old boot compilation "Stranger Than Fiction" uses Atom Heart Mother from this lp, and indeed, there is a part of Funky Dung that repeats like 60 times and then you hear someone bump the tone arm. Before that, it sounds like they tried to fade it out or something... it's a mess, and it makes me laugh trying to imagine what the guy was thinking while he did the transfer. He must have been down to his last 74 minute cdr or something and he thought doing a fade out would mask it, but then he thought to change course in the middle of it and bump the tone arm, and then slowly fade back up. Smoooth
    Ha, that's hilarious! I've heard about that once before, I think, but not sure I've actually heard that CD.

Since CDRs were initially so expensive, you may be exactly right: if the LP went directly into a CD recorder, the bootlegger may have just done exactly what you describe, and had no option to go back and fix it without paying $20-50 for another blank. Or, the bootlegger could have only had an hour or two reserved at a studio that had a CD recorder, with no time to redo it.

It's a good thing Take {2, 3, 4...∞} is an option these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 33,274 Times in 409 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    Then there are another two recorders. I don't remember where I thought the tapers were located vs each other. I'm pretty sure no one is near a speaker stack. The 3 recorders together should produce a decent sounding stereo and/or quad matrix.
    I can supply an upgrade to the current version of marbal's recording if you decide to go for it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonknight View Post
    I can supply an upgrade to the current version of marbal's recording if you decide to go for it
    This would be cool to take another look at. I remember it being a really good show. The more rare frustrated AHM diversion and all.

But don't send me that until I get the last thing we talked about back on deck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
    I don't remember where I thought the tapers were located vs each other.
    Rec.1 (Double Bubble) and Rec.2 (marbal) were only in a few meters distance.
    You can hear the annoying girl at both recordings.

At the start of Echoes, you can hear the same guy at both recordings:
    "Hör mal, ich bin blau" (Listen, I'm drunk). Louder at Rec. 1

Rec.3 is incomplete.
    Last edited by pinktree1; 2020-07-15 at 08:31 AM.