Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New(probably) images from PF in montreal 1977

Thanks

That sound system looks tiny.... and no delay lines too at the time... at least I can't see any.
    Makes me wonder how the sound quality must have been up at the back stalls.

And that small hand built cover construction for the mixing desk area!

Propose something like that even for a small open air gig today and you'll get into serious trouble

Thanks for sharing these pics!

Thanks

I tried looking for the surround stacks on the images but i couldnt spot them. Strange...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,349 Times in 72 Posts

Here are the G. Menard photos that I scanned in 2001. He was sitting behind me at a Radiohead concert in Montreal in 2001. Overheard him talking about the concert at the stadium in 1977 and we struck up a conversation.

He sent me his pictures and I scanned them, unfrotunately this is as good as it gets.

There's a good picture of the deflated pig in there.

https://imgur.com/a/KCgpQJA

----

Next is the famous pictures taken hours before the show: I ran into the seller at a record convention circa 1999 or 2000. He said his brother took the pictures or somehow obtained the pictures and he was selling the lot for roughly $80, purchased by a friend of mine.

No negatives, so who knows how many copies of those were made. AFAIK we scanned and released them shortly after and it was the first time anyone saw them.

https://imgur.com/a/tiPFnQR

----

These are the Autostade pictures from 1975-06-26. They've been shared in different Facebook groups.- someone was selling the diaporamas a couple years ago but I think these pictures are the best ones, the rest is mostly crowd AFAIK.

https://imgur.com/a/E00JhFi
    Last edited by plegault; 2020-07-16 at 03:23 AM.
    --
    Regards,
    Phil

Thanks

amazing stuff thnx for sharing.
    ...any Floyd, is good floyd....
    visit the #1 Knopfler forum in the world at:

www.amarkintime.org/forum

1994.09.02, Werchter Festival Grounds - PF
    2011.06.18, ESPRIT Arena, Düsseldorf - RW
    2013.07.20, Werchter Festival Grounds --> full circle - RW
    2015.09.19, König Pilsener Arena, Oberhausen - DG
    2016.07.28, Grote Markt, Tienen - DG
    2018.09.08, Stadsschouwburg, Antwerpen - NM
    2021.05.19, Messe+Congress Centrum Halle, Münster - NM......YESSSSSSS

Thanks

Awesome stuff, plegault. Roger's demeanor before the 1977 show is nothing like what I would have expected.

Great 1975 live shots too, of a show that doesn't circulate -- but we live in hope!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,349 Times in 72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Awesome stuff, plegault. Roger's demeanor before the 1977 show is nothing like what I would have expected.

Great 1975 live shots too, of a show that doesn't circulate -- but we live in hope!
    Ha! In June I spoke to my connection who owned the diaporamas . He's the one who tipped me off about the audio recording along with the 8mm shot.

Apparently the owner of the audio recording wanted to get some fresh scans of the slides so he could make some artwork for his CD copy. He's desperately hoarding it, convinced it's the holy grail. IMHO none of the 1975 shows are worthy of that status, but that's just me!
    Last edited by plegault; 2020-07-16 at 03:23 AM.
    --
    Regards,
    Phil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post
    These are the Autostade pictures from 1975-06-26. They've been shared in different Facebook groups.- someone was selling the diaporamas a couple years ago but I think these pictures are the best ones, the rest is mostly crowd AFAIK.

https://imgur.com/a/E00JhFi

Thank you!

Thanks

Stadium shows took a long time to become what they are now, and these pics really drive home the fact that as hard as Waters was pushing the Floyd into groundbreaking live multimedia presentations beyond what their contemporaries were up to, concert production was still very much in the early days in dealing with this kind of scale.

I can much better understand from the Montreal pics why the crowds got so out of hand in North America; even allowing for some likely perspective distortion from the camera, everything looks very far away and the amount of people standing on the floor is absolutely insane. No wonder everyone was always screaming at the people up front to sit down!

Still, as big as Olympic Stadium is, once you scale up the pictures of the stage in relation to the band on stage, it still looks pretty impressive for that era. I'd guess that the screen looks to be about 25' high or thereabouts (which is not that much smaller than the '87-'89 tour), and those rigged-up stage curtains have to be 50'-60' in height. I'll bet this show looked dynamite indoors at a place like Madison Square Garden, but I have to wonder how well the films showed up on the screen in such a ginarmous outdoor venue as this one (some of the b/w shots look like they were playing in broad daylight, or with the house lights on). As Surfling already posted, the sound system does look absurdly dinky in comparison to the space it has to fill, and it must have been positively ear-splitting up close!
    Last edited by vbc3; 2020-07-16 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 42 Posts

Fantastic pictures. Thank you.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing. This reminds me, although you can't see it in the pictures, a quick Google search shows a tower thing at the stadium that was used for a retractable roof. In the Wall artwork, one of the pics that has the marching hammers and the plane shows some tower structures, similar to Montreal. We all know the spitting story...but does anyone know for sure if Scarfe was making an actual reference to Olympic Stadium in his artwork?