Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: checking some (hopefully) interesting "LP to cass" transfers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 41 Posts

Default checking some (hopefully) interesting "LP to cass" transfers

Hi all,

a while back, i happened to get from northern Italy a bunch of cassettes with various floyd material and which i am still (slowy ) trying to check/transfer, hoping to find some material which is worthy of being shared here at Y's.

the interesting thing (and the reason which made me getting these tapes at first look) is that they are all mid-late 80's That's VX cassettes with "delta" window (a GREAT type2 tape, one of my favourites ever! sort of a TDK SA but a bit better than the SA on quite any parameters) , and they do all appear like if they were recorded and never played again... the tape itself is just in perfectly newish conditions... it looks like a small collection someone did get recorded from the same guy/source in mid-late 80's and then kept carefully stored into the original card boxes.

a few of these cassettes were recorded from vinyl boots and, usually, if we have a direct LP rip it's the obvious choice, of course.
    but, IMHO, under certain "lucky" conditions like a good turntable setup and a good deck which records onto a good tape might still give an interesting result... the only thing i could easily discover is that the guy used a manual turntable, in fact, on some of these tapes he did forget to lift the tonearm at the end of the side and you can hear the last (locked) groove playing over and over, until the end of the cassette side.
    I am transferring some of these on my own recently modified RS-B565MH and i am quite liking what i hear...
    Just, i still didn't make comparisons with what's around, though... nor i can know which exact versions/pressings of these boots these cassettes were recorded from...

at the moment, i've just transferred these tapes, which i found enjoyable :

Germersheim (may 21th 1972)
    Double Bubble (may 21th 1972)
    Early Tours 70-71 (june 26th 1971)

[As a side note, by a pure (and happy) coincidence, i can see on another thread that our friend Lennyif has just got a sealed LP of Germersheim and that's just NICE to get yet another fresh LP rip!]

There is also a "Circus Days" cassette here, which i've just transferred but this one doesn't sound that great or, as i guess, it would be the Circus Days boot itself (and/or the version of it used to record this cassette here) which is worse than the same material we have on other sources.

There is a "Crackers" which, even if it's a nice listen in itself, it's clearly from the second pressing of the vinyl boot (eclipse fades out before the end) and, in fact, the vinyl rip by PR which is around is from the first press and it sounds better, so i still didn't transfer this one.

There is a "Big Pink" which does sound veeeeery poor and perhaps doesn't even deserve a transfer.

and there are a few other cassettes made from vinyl boots which i still didn't properly transfer (but i hope to do soon) such as:

Omay yad
    The Man
    Waters Gate
    Amsterdam Fantasio 1.9.68 (really paradiso)
    Melkweg (barrett)
    Unforgotten Hero (barrett)
    The BBC Tapes
    Brescia 19.6.71
    Nippon Connection
    Mystery Tracks
    Drop in the dark
    Another side of the moon (this one should be mostly official material, though)
    The Committee and other stories

Then, my friends, I'd need your precious help to check/understand what might be worthy of being transferred/fixed/torrented and what just doesn't worth the effort...
    Or, also, what might be of interest for anyone here, regardless of it being an upgrade or not (i.e. looking at it from a "completist" point of view)...
    Of course, i do plan to at least transfer all of these just for the sake of "archiving" them here in raw shape.

So, at the moment, i've selected/cut a few segments/samples from the few "potentially interesting" transfers i've just made (and downlsampled them to 16/44 to keep files reasonably small) and which are available for anyone here who might wish to listen/check them and, if they want, share their own impressions.

This is the link to a wetransfer where you will find 3 FLAC files containing a few samples/segments from "Germersheim" , "Double Bubble" and "Early Tours 70-71":

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/c39...9212544/ce9790

And i've attached a picture to let you see how these That's VX cassettes do really look... who knows if there is anyone here around who might find these ones somewhat familiar so that we would discover some more about their actual origins?

Cheers,

Vince.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vince666; 2020-07-19 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 48 Posts

Interesting! And thank you very much for the offer. I'll be checking the German dates in the next couple of days (I'm going through my list all over again, and just finished up to April 1972 so I'm getting closer to May '72). if someone get to check this out sooner, that'd be excellent!
    "If a monkey hoarded more bananas than he could eat, while most of the other monkeys starved,
    scientists would study that monkey to figure out what the heck was wrong with him. When humans
    do it, we put them on the cover of Forbes".

Thanks

Thank you, my friend.

meanwhile i'll try to go and transfer some more of these and keep sharing samples to evaluate here.

my hopes are that there will be at least a few tapes worthy of being properly torrented, among these cassettes.

Thanks

Simultaneously on the other side of the world, I have been doing some vinyl transfers of my own. Maybe we should compare notes soon? I am very happy with a few I have done in particular: Their Early Tours, Live Dittolino Discs, M-502, Omayyad, & The Wall Live. I’ve also got several more to do still. All of these lps are in fantastic condition too.

Edit: forgot to mention the ones I have not transferred yet. A Great Set, British Winter Tour ‘74, Best of Tour ‘72, Return of the Sons of Nothing (Boblingen), Atom Heart Mother Goes on The Road, Violence in Birmingham, Broadcasting From Europa 1, High Time (Roma ‘68 & BBC 1969), Unforgotten Hero, & Crackers (later press with cracker box cover).

Some of these may be redundant, but I think I may have a few that *could* be upgrades due to the nice condition of the vinyl. However, I don’t see anyone doing better than the current M-502 or Best of Tour ‘72 for example. I think the British Winter Tour ‘74 transfer we have in the best sources list is also pretty much unassailable.
    Last edited by Lennyif; 2020-07-21 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks

I have a very nice copy of "War In The Head" played only once if anyone is interested. My turntable setup is not great but would be willing to send if it makes sense.

Thanks

Lennyif’s mention of Dittolino Discs (Santa Monica 1970) reminds me that I have a copy of that one too. My copy has mismatched labels (disc one is a red A/B, disc two has black and white labels.). Plain white sleeve, no stamp.
    I can do a transfer of it should anyone be interested.

I also have a copy of Kabe, but I vaguely remember checking my copy against other sources available here and feeling like my copy was greatly inferior.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyif View Post
    Their Early Tours, Live Dittolino Discs, M-502, Omayyad, British Winter Tour ‘74
    Those five would be interesting to compare against what is available so far. Thank you for the offer.
    "If a monkey hoarded more bananas than he could eat, while most of the other monkeys starved,
    scientists would study that monkey to figure out what the heck was wrong with him. When humans

Thanks

I have done some checking on the Germersheim date. I only have to compare, the MoLM release and another one with this lineage: Double Bubble LP > Rega Planar 3 heavily modded with Benz Ace M > Echo Indigo IO > (several restoration&mastering steps) > flac. MoLM release has nice bass, the other one lacks a bit, and your version from the Double Bubble LP is somewhere in between, a good mix of bass and clarity. I'd say that the Double Bubble > cass source is definitely worth the upload.

Update: The 'Rega Planer' transfer is definitely better than MoLM's. MoLM's is louder and fuller maybe but lacks clarity, which the Rega transfer does have. Your LP > cass is in the same vein of the Rega transfer but I think your tape might be a hair clearer even. It is just a matter of a really tiny difference.
    Last edited by gotta_be_crazy; 2020-07-22 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks

Nice to know, Lennyif and MrGoBlue1989 !

The more fresh transfers we get from analog sources, being them vinyl or tapes, the more choices we have.
    Point is that analog transfers are always going to sound different... it's sufficient to only swap the model of the cartridge of the turntable and the same vinyl LP sounds different... and that's also part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    I have done some checking on the Germersheim date. I only have to compare, the MoLM release and another one with this lineage: Double Bubble LP > Rega Planar 3 heavily modded with Benz Ace M > Echo Indigo IO > (several restoration&mastering steps) > flac. MoLM release has nice bass, the other one lacks a bit, and your version from the Double Bubble LP is somewhere in between, a good mix of bass and clarity. I'd say that the Double Bubble > cass source is definitely worth the upload.
    Thank You Very Much for your impressions,
    and happy to know that there is something worthy of being shared.

With a super quick check with my guitar on the starting chords of AHM, I noticed my Germersheim LP>cass does run just a little bit slow, not that far from correct, while my Double Bubble LP>cass is noticeably faster, almost/about one semitone too fast... of course the two vinyl boots run at different speed.

My guess is that Double Bubble will benefit of a speed correction as running one semitone fast has a noticeable effect also on the sound... after being corrected it might gain some more in bass and dynamics.

But the million dollar question is: do you wish to also have the raw transfer torrented, which is just ready?
    I am open to any options so, please, just tell me.

Cheers,

Vince.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vince666 View Post
    Nice to know, Lennyif and MrGoBlue1989 !

The more fresh transfers we get from analog sources, being them vinyl or tapes, the more choices we have.
    Point is that analog transfers are always going to sound different... it's sufficient to only swap the model of the cartridge of the turntable and the same vinyl LP sounds different... and that's also part of the fun.

Thank You Very Much for your impressions,
    and happy to know that there is something worthy of being shared.

With a super quick check with my guitar on the starting chords of AHM, I noticed my Germersheim LP>cass does run just a little bit slow, not that far from correct, while my Double Bubble LP>cass is noticeably faster, almost/about one semitone too fast... of course the two vinyl boots run at different speed.

My guess is that Double Bubble will benefit of a speed correction as running one semitone fast has a noticeable effect also on the sound... after being corrected it might gain some more in bass and dynamics.

But the million dollar question is: do you wish to also have the raw transfer torrented, which is just ready?
    I am open to any options so, please, just tell me.

Cheers,

Vince.
    I always like to have both raw and 'remastered', but whatever you decide is fine by me at least, I'm just happy with whatever you can offer.