Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: checking some (hopefully) interesting "LP to cass" transfers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    I always like to have both raw and 'remastered', but whatever you decide is fine by me at least, I'm just happy with whatever you can offer.
    I am a fan of raw transfers myself... but i understand that also carefully fixed versions can be just useful.

so, yes, I will start torrenting the raw 24/96 transfer "as is" as soon as possible as it's just ready... need to only write a few lines for a txt file.

i am noticeing just now that you updated your comment... and with some very good news too.

gotta_be_crazy
    I have done some checking on the Germersheim date. I only have to compare, the MoLM release and another one with this lineage: Double Bubble LP > Rega Planar 3 heavily modded with Benz Ace M > Echo Indigo IO > (several restoration&mastering steps) > flac. MoLM release has nice bass, the other one lacks a bit, and your version from the Double Bubble LP is somewhere in between, a good mix of bass and clarity. I'd say that the Double Bubble > cass source is definitely worth the upload.

Update: The 'Rega Planer' transfer is definitely better than MoLM's. MoLM's is louder and fuller maybe but lacks clarity, which the Rega transfer does have. Your LP > cass is in the same vein of the Rega transfer but I think your tape might be a hair clearer even. It is just a matter of a really tiny difference.

Thanks

As for my stuff, I am going to wrap up my transfers in the next week or two and put them all in a shared folder kind of like what Neon has with his cassette project. Maybe we can compare notes, and if it turns out that anything I have is worthwhile, I can create a torrent. Looks like this site is about to get a bunch of fresh transfers. Hopefully a few of them are winners. You just never know when a 10 year old transfer that was assumed the best, might get upgraded. Just look at all the film upgrades happening lately from Notelu and Cigar via Roscoe, etc.

Edit: Checking my transfers against the best known sources as I go so far, and I am eliminating some, so i won't bother with the ones that are clearly inferior. However, I am so far impressed with my Dittolino lp (my copy had those mismatched labels too!) as well as my Early Tours LP. I'll probably just torrent my "winners / contenders" when I have the chance. I am shocked at how bad my Omayyad transfer sounds. I think that's the worst sounding lp I have, which is kind of a surprise. Absolute daggers in the ears. Shame too, as that was another one that I picked up as an unopened copy. The MQR remaster is sooo much better.
    Last edited by Lennyif; 2020-07-22 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 41 Posts

the "folder" idea is quite practical/interesting, Lennyif.

and it's nice to see that you noticed some potential "winners" there at you.

of course, many/most vinyl boots were re-pressed and/or re-released more times then it's quite obvious to assume that non all pressings will sound the same.
    Omayyad is one example of a vinyl boot which was re-pressed and re-released just many times, more than a dozen times for sure...
    Any ideas about the actual versions/pressings of such boot(s)?

As far as my vinyl sourced That's VX cassettes are concerned, unfortunately, i just cannot know which actual vinyl versions/pressings were used.

So, the way to go is to transfer, listen and compare.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmr View Post
    Lennyif’s mention of Dittolino Discs (Santa Monica 1970) reminds me that I have a copy of that one too. My copy has mismatched labels (disc one is a red A/B, disc two has black and white labels.). Plain white sleeve, no stamp.
    I can do a transfer of it should anyone be interested.
    Bumping this old thread because I finally got around to digging out my copy of Live (Dittolino Discs). It's unfortunately pretty crackly - lots of scuff marks from years of being stored without any sort of inner sleeve by the previous owner(s). That said, I think my transfer compares favorably to the transfer that was shared by Doinker in 2010. The existing transfer has a harsh, distorted sound in the louder parts which isn't present in mine.
    Here are three quick samples that compare it against the past transfer. First half of each clip is my raw transfer, second half is the existing transfer.
    Attached Files Attached Files