Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: checking some (hopefully) interesting "LP to cass" transfers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    I always like to have both raw and 'remastered', but whatever you decide is fine by me at least, I'm just happy with whatever you can offer.
    I am a fan of raw transfers myself... but i understand that also carefully fixed versions can be just useful.

so, yes, I will start torrenting the raw 24/96 transfer "as is" as soon as possible as it's just ready... need to only write a few lines for a txt file.

i am noticeing just now that you updated your comment... and with some very good news too.

gotta_be_crazy
    I have done some checking on the Germersheim date. I only have to compare, the MoLM release and another one with this lineage: Double Bubble LP > Rega Planar 3 heavily modded with Benz Ace M > Echo Indigo IO > (several restoration&mastering steps) > flac. MoLM release has nice bass, the other one lacks a bit, and your version from the Double Bubble LP is somewhere in between, a good mix of bass and clarity. I'd say that the Double Bubble > cass source is definitely worth the upload.

Update: The 'Rega Planer' transfer is definitely better than MoLM's. MoLM's is louder and fuller maybe but lacks clarity, which the Rega transfer does have. Your LP > cass is in the same vein of the Rega transfer but I think your tape might be a hair clearer even. It is just a matter of a really tiny difference.

Thanks

As for my stuff, I am going to wrap up my transfers in the next week or two and put them all in a shared folder kind of like what Neon has with his cassette project. Maybe we can compare notes, and if it turns out that anything I have is worthwhile, I can create a torrent. Looks like this site is about to get a bunch of fresh transfers. Hopefully a few of them are winners. You just never know when a 10 year old transfer that was assumed the best, might get upgraded. Just look at all the film upgrades happening lately from Notelu and Cigar via Roscoe, etc.

Edit: Checking my transfers against the best known sources as I go so far, and I am eliminating some, so i won't bother with the ones that are clearly inferior. However, I am so far impressed with my Dittolino lp (my copy had those mismatched labels too!) as well as my Early Tours LP. I'll probably just torrent my "winners / contenders" when I have the chance. I am shocked at how bad my Omayyad transfer sounds. I think that's the worst sounding lp I have, which is kind of a surprise. Absolute daggers in the ears. Shame too, as that was another one that I picked up as an unopened copy. The MQR remaster is sooo much better.
    Last edited by Lennyif; 2020-07-22 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 26 Posts

the "folder" idea is quite practical/interesting, Lennyif.

and it's nice to see that you noticed some potential "winners" there at you.

of course, many/most vinyl boots were re-pressed and/or re-released more times then it's quite obvious to assume that non all pressings will sound the same.
    Omayyad is one example of a vinyl boot which was re-pressed and re-released just many times, more than a dozen times for sure...
    Any ideas about the actual versions/pressings of such boot(s)?

As far as my vinyl sourced That's VX cassettes are concerned, unfortunately, i just cannot know which actual vinyl versions/pressings were used.

So, the way to go is to transfer, listen and compare.