Thread: Concert reports from Pink Floyd shows that don't circulate

Thanks

Default Concert reports from Pink Floyd shows that don't circulate

I've been meaning to start a thread just to track concert reports and other information about Pink Floyd shows that don't circulate. This is especially helpful in situations where we know next to nothing about a performance, or are looking for evidence that the show happened at all (since occasionally we've found out that advertised shows didn't happen, though the research of well-known community members has helped to address that). And maybe, if we're very lucky, it can somehow help us to confirm or nail down the date of a tape whose provenance is uncertain.

I'm most interested in tracking down Internet ephemera like comments on message board posts and blogs, posts on Facebook, and other short-lived phenomena. Anything is fair game, though.

So, here's a start:

1967-11-25 - Blackpool Opera House (early show)

See Recollections of Early Floyd Shows for simond's account.

1968-11-27 - Keele University

1969-03-19 - Going Down Ball, The Refectory, Swansea University

http://ukrockfestivals.com/pinkfloyd3-19-69.html

1969-06-21 - Royal Philharmonic, Liverpool

1969-11-01 - Manchester University

1969-11-27 - Liverpool University

1970-02-08 - Manchester Opera House

1970-03-08 - Mothers, Birmingham

1970-12-21 - Manchester Free Trade Hall

1971-04-22 - Lads Club, Norwich

https://allmanbrothersband.com/modul...d=15&tid=19883 - interesting recollection from Colin, also quoted in my post here

1971-07-05 - Lancaster University

1971-10-26 - Eastown Theater, Detroit, MI

https://www.facebook.com/bluesjazzro...52785388140052 <- a brief report, nothing too interesting but it exists

1972-02-11 - Manchester Free Trade Hall

1972-03-29 - Manchester Free Trade Hall

1972-09-12 - Civic Center Music Hall, Oklahoma City, OK

Very brief comment from Thomas Roy attached to this YouTube upload of 1972-09-22: "I saw them in OKC on September 12 1872. Very similar set list to this show. Lots of special effects. Enjoyed some pure T for the show but did not need it to get off on this music."

1973-03-04 - Dane County Memorial Coliseum, Madison, WI

http://publicenemiescolumbus.blogspo...they-done.html
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pinkfloyd/c..._seen_pf_live/ < very brief comment

1974-11-08 - The Odeon, Newcastle

https://vintagerock.wordpress.com/20...november-1974/

1975-04-19 - Tucson Community Center, Tucson, AZ (note: we have an undated 1975 Echoes that may be from this show)

https://kingkoncert.com/king-koncert/the-1970s/1975-2/

-----

See also the book Pink Floyd: I Was There by Richard Houghton, which has some additional concert reports not covered here.

By the way this whole idea got started when I was trying to track down information about a show at Lake Spivey Park in Georgia in 1973-06-26. It turns out to have been cancelled (according to The Complete Pink Floyd), but oddly enough at one point I found a comment on Facebook from someone who claimed to have attended! So, as with all things, caveat lector.
    Last edited by goldenband; 2020-08-01 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks

Here's another good example from one of your own posts: 1971-04-22. Coincidentally, the enclosed link contains a lot of information that's interesting in general. I've been meaning to download some Hendrix shows, and maybe something of Derek and the Dominos, but that's for another time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blatch View Post
    Here's another good example from one of your own posts: 1971-04-22. Coincidentally, the enclosed link contains a lot of information that's interesting in general. I've been meaning to download some Hendrix shows, and maybe something of Derek and the Dominos, but that's for another time.
    Oh, good call -- added. I think I had it in the back of my mind to put it into the thread but hadn't gotten there yet.

There was a thread on the Pink Floyd official Facebook page that had a bunch of brief comments, but I can't quite find it. (I think the Spivey Park claim might have been there.) I'm hoping to find more information on the Pacific Northwest shows from the early 1970s, which are kind of a black hole.

EDIT: Aha, it was this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd/p...type=1&theater

The comments are generally slight, but document some shows that we don't have and that don't get talked about very much:

"saw Pink Floyd twice back in the day. '71 in Salem Oregon and again in '73 Portland Oregon. Both easily the best concerts I had been too." (1971-10-21 and 1972-09-28)

"I saw them in Jacksonville, FL in 73 - loved them since 69 and it was worth it to Dark Side of the Moon - I'd go again!" (1972-06-27)

"1973 Pittsburgh, memories of great friends and mesmerizing Pink Floyd" (1973-06-19)

"Saw Floyd same tour March 18 1973 Waterbury Ct. Was 15. Pretty sure on that date" (1973-03-18, the real one that is)

One can only wonder how many of the band's Facebook posts have similar comments -- and whether some of those comments might have more content -- and whether, somewhere in those weeds, an attic tape might be lurking!
    Last edited by goldenband; 2020-07-31 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,996 Times in 66 Posts

The book “Pink Floyd: I Was There” by Richard Houghton reports exactly that. Some of those eye witness accounts were inaccurate and never cross-checked with reliable sources so I thought it wasn’t very thoroughly researched. Your mileage may vary but there are tons in that book.

I also tend to reply on various forum and Facebook posts to see if there’s anything else they can remember. Usually disappointing but once in a blue moon you can get lucky and get pictures or even a reel like Montreux.
    --
    Regards,
    Phil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    One can only wonder how many of the band's Facebook posts have similar comments -- and whether some of those comments might have more content -- and whether, somewhere in those weeds, an attic tape might be lurking!
    or whether those memories are accurate after more than 40 years.
    R.M.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post
    The book “Pink Floyd: I Was There” by Richard Houghton reports exactly that. Some of those eye witness accounts were inaccurate and never cross-checked with reliable sources so I thought it wasn’t very thoroughly researched. Your mileage may vary but there are tons in that book.
    Yes indeed, that book has some nice stories. I reference it rather lazily in the first post --

See also the book I Was There, which has some additional concert reports not covered here.
    -- though I'll edit the post to use the more precise title and include the author.

Quote Originally Posted by plegault View Post
    I also tend to reply on various forum and Facebook posts to see if there’s anything else they can remember. Usually disappointing but once in a blue moon you can get lucky and get pictures or even a reel like Montreux.
    That's what it's all about! If one contact in 500 yields something of value, that's more than we had before.

Quote Originally Posted by ruben77 View Post
    or whether those memories are accurate after more than 40 years.
    Yes, as I say in the first post:

as with all things, caveat lector
    There are plenty of errors in the recollections people post, and they tend to be especially sure that they attended the "first-ever" performance of Dark Side of the Moon -- you hear that one a lot. Of course, occasionally they're close to the mark or even correct, as with the guy who went to the Madison 1973 show that really was the first public performance of the finished product.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,520 Times in 136 Posts

This is a great thread to start GB. Unfortunately for me, or fortunately, whichever way you wanna look at it, I don't do the social media at all. This forum is about all I do in terms of a online presence, a few other forums as well actually, some occasion YouTube comments. It would be quite awesome if some of you guys who do Facebook and the like might start some threads on certain shows to see if some people take the bait and post up. The Stony Brook thread was mildly interesting. I'd selfishly be interested in if anybody has memories or possible tapes of Floyd playing in Buffalo in '73 and more interestingly on 1971-11-08 at the Peach Bridge Center. I came across this a while back...

PF_1971-11-08 - Peace Bridge Center, Buffalo, NY.jpg
    Click here to access my Pink Floyd lists!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buffalofloyd View Post
    The Stony Brook thread was mildly interesting. I'd selfishly be interested in if anybody has memories or possible tapes of Floyd playing in Buffalo in '73 and more interestingly on 1971-11-08 at the Peach Bridge Center. I came across this a while back...

PF_1971-11-08 - Peace Bridge Center, Buffalo, NY.jpg
    I think one of the best lines of inquiry is for someone to pick a show they're especially interested in and focus on tracking down as many people as possible who attended it -- especially if they're already living in or associated with that community. There's one show in particular I could certainly do more to track down, as I've got plenty of local connections who probably know someone who attended it, and there are tons and tons of tapes from that venue...

I've met at least half-a-dozen people who went to the band's performances in the 1970s, so whether or not a tape's out there, the people who went to the show are!

Thanks

Excellent thread, it happened occasionally that persons told me they saw Pink Floyd in Ossiach 1971, Acron 1972, Vienna 1973 or Knebworth 1975. I have even a friend who worked with Roger Waters´mother.
    Last edited by anredeon; 2020-08-02 at 09:54 AM.