View Poll Results: Do you play studio and official albums anymore?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Why Bother. I've heard it once already"

2 2.44%
  • "Why Bother. I can listen to any official song by memory in my head"

10 12.20%
  • "What's an official album? Wasn't Kralingen or Pinky their first album?"

6 7.32%
  • 60's

12 14.63%
  • 60s-70s

54 65.85%
  • Waters era

44 53.66%
  • Gilmour led era

29 35.37%
  • "I play officially released tracks that were previously unreleased"

15 18.29%
  • "I rarely play live performances"

2 2.44%
  • "I think I'm in the wrong place"

2 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you listen to the studio albums at all, just 60's 65-66 67-72 67-77 67-83 87-14

Thanks
    Thanked 3,183 Times in 48 Posts

I play Animals and Is There Anybody Out There, A LOT. Then I sample, from time to time, Obscured by Clouds, Wish You were Here and Dark Side of the Moon.

But I usually go for the live concerts, depending in which era. For example, for Dark Side of the Moon, I like it more when it was played as Eclipse suite, specially March-April 1972. I found the 1973-1975 performances very boring, with a halo of lack of inspiration. My favorite Floyd era is 1970-1972, when Floyd was an amazing live act. Then 1973-1977 you feel things were not good between them, I can feel it in the performance. Maybe now I'm starting to enjoy the Animals Tour again, i can relate to that anger.
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks

Well I belong to the fraction who listen just to the 60s and 70s stuff, of course there are some albums whose tracks were never played live, so I still really enjoy More, Ummagumma, AHM, Meddle and OBC. After a long time I rediscovered the greatness of the ASOS album. I also really like TPATGOD, particularly Flaming, but I think of it more as a Barrettalbum with Pink Floyd playing to be honest, just like the Wall is a Watersalbum with Pink Floyd playing more or less. Strangely not Animals, which is also very Waters dominated. Probably because of lack of other contributors. But I never quite liked the production of Animals, they should do it at Abbey Road, but it doesn´t matter, the liveshows elevated it to another dimensions. I still love 1973, especially the first set, some versions never sounded better. I love the french concerts of 1974 for its freshness and uniqness, but I understand that with the 1974 Wintershows the shows became more erratic in terms of inspiration. The Gilmour led stuff has some great tunes but it´s just another world already.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 74 Posts

Talking Saving 1973 until Near The End

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    For example, for Dark Side of the Moon, I like it more when it was played as Eclipse suite, specially March-April 1972. I found the 1973-1975 performances very boring, with a halo of lack of inspiration.
    I love 1972 Eclipse: A piece for Assorted Lunatics Hollywood Bowl is about as far as I go listening to Dark Side, I'm saving downloading and listening to performances from 1973 until I'm on my deathbed! They played no new songs and I don't want to run out of Floyd material I've never listened to while I Breathe In The Air...

Quote Originally Posted by anredeon View Post
    But I never quite liked the production of Animals, they should do it at Abbey Road, but it doesn´t matter, the liveshows elevated it to another dimensions.
    https://www.floydianslip.com/pink-fl...lbum.php?id=11 For more info incl. about Animals at Britannia Row https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Vxbf24rI5oEsOW

Also Afterwards in 1978 PF had to spend year in tax exile... First World Money Problems
    Last edited by CCE338; 2020-08-26 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

I'm still getting through the main discography, so I can't even begin to comment on much of the live material. I've heard some concerts from different eras here and there, but I'm focusing mostly on studio. The Wall and Dark Side still stand as two of my favorite albums of all time, Animals possibly standing near them.
    "And they're gonna kill ya; So like, If you give em a quick short, sharp, shock, they don't do it again. Dig it?"

Thanks

Having played all the albums (with the exception of TER) to death at one time or another, the only PF albums I find myself playing these days with any regularity are Animals and Meddle, Dave's first solo album, and Pros and Cons.
    "You get your chance to try in the twinkling of an eye in eighty years with luck or even less."

Thanks

I don't listen to the studio albums very often, and haven't for years: they're too special and yet too familiar to pull out all the time.

But oddly enough I've listened to all of the first 10 albums -- plus Zabriskie Point, TLAMLIL, Syd's first solo record, and comps like Relics and Masters of Rock -- in just the past few months. That's all thanks to the excellent cassette transfers by NK and colleagues, all of which have led me to hear things in the albums that I'd never noticed before, and makes listening to them feel fresh and novel.

Otherwise (i.e. if it weren't for the recent transfers), Obscured by Clouds seems to be the one I pull out most often these days -- specifically because I'm the least attached to it, and have no childhood memories of it.

I have a lot of affection for The Wall and The Final Cut but I haven't listened to either of them in a long while. I enjoy live performances of The Wall, though.

Basically speaking, I don't play anything after TFC except some of Gilmour's solo stuff (On An Island, mainly).

Thanks

I've basically heard everything in the official territory, but its always nice to find more like demos or stuff from the members solo careers.

For everyday listening its 70% bootlegs from 68-81, 30% studio songs from various eras in various Floyd playlists and on occasion albums in its entirety, when I find an early pressing or interesting masters.

But it always breaks down to my current mood sometimes Barrett stuff is great, sometimes Waters stuff is great and sometimes Gilmour stuff is great.
    "I like to think oysters transcend national barriers"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stonytokes View Post
    Having played all the albums (with the exception of TER) to death at one time or another, the only PF albums I find myself playing these days with any regularity are Animals and Meddle, Dave's first solo album, and Pros and Cons.
    Interestingly enough, that's fairly similar to where I'm at, with just a few differences. The differences mainly due to me personally basically dividing their catalog into pre-1980 and post-1980. I got into Floyd in my teens, and am of the age where The Wall was the first new album of theirs that was released once I had become a fan. So I've played what I think of as the the "core twelve" albums on vinyl, to death. But once I went to uni, I got more into the music of my own generation and put Floyd aside for many years, so never bought The Final Cut in its original form. But my obsession with them as a teen was pretty extreme: I made it my mission to play Dark Side of the Moon daily for quite a long time.

Now that I've returned to the Floyd fold, so to speak, it's Animals that I'm most likely to pick, and then Meddle but even then to be honest I'm more likely to pick and choose tracks off that rather than listen to all of it. I still think DSotM is a masterpiece, of course, but all that daily playing makes it less necessary for me to listen to now. Of the solo albums, likewise for me it's just pre-1980 and thus David Gilmour the album.

But as for this poll, while yes I do still listen to the studio albums, my routine has me listening a bunch of other stuff now because of that over-familiarity. That other stuff still includes live Floyd. But the poll asked "at all", so my answer has to be "yes".

Thanks

Recently I have been listening to PF studio albums less and less ...
    They have become a part of me and pop up inside me as soon as I think about it.
    When I read or hear about PF, "More" appears first of all in my memory.
    Beautiful music, not burdened by the depth of the meaning of the lyrics.
    I listen to concerts more often, especially 1972. How it all happened, polished, turned into a great album.
    I am very sorry that there was no concert tour in support of The Final Cut ...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChb...=dd&shelf_id=0

Resourcefulness and bravery
    Courage and good luck!
    In trouble don't get confused-
    That's the main challenge!

TBS14

Thanks

I listen to 1966 to 1980. Mostly into the rare 66 and 67 stuff with Syd. Huge fan of the Wish You were Here record and the VHS video of Live at Pompeii. Also like The Wall, and Wates Amused to Death record with Jeff Beck was great though have not listened to Amuse since the 90s.
    Still listen to is Shine on you Crazy Diamond, and in particular part 8 as that bass and synthesizer are amazing, so is everything on that track, Have a Cigar is also fantastic.
    Love the song "Remember A Day" quite a bit too. Syd's slide playing on that track is haunting and beautiful as is Ricks singing. Might be my favorite official Syd Floyd EMI track now that I think of it.
    Last edited by Friend of Squirrels; 2020-09-20 at 12:09 AM.