Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wall in Nassau Feb 1980 audio recording question / info

Thanks

Default The Wall in Nassau Feb 1980 audio recording question / info

Hey gang. Hoping to tap the knowledge base. I see that there are various sources from these shows. Does anyone know of a story of Roger Waters having a reference copy of this stolen? Somehow winding up in the hands of a radio deejay? Who hung onto it and has since passed away? Something like this? Is this a known story I am not familiar with? Or have perhaps forgotten over the years? Are there soundboard tapes from this run in circulation? Thanks for any insights!

Thanks

This doesn't ring a bell for anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cleantones; 2020-09-05 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,904 Times in 94 Posts

No insights here but the fact that this is labeled September 24-28 raises suspicions. As in, probably fake.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,187 Times in 48 Posts

Yep. Interesting, and it could be anything. I would never trust dates to a musician, they (we) usually forgot things easily, too many things in our minds, or very few. 'September 24-28' could be February 25-28 easily. Or in the case it's legit, the person who got it, may had the dates wrong. But we don't know who typed the label. As minimum, it rises a question on my behalf. Who has this, you or some person you know? And going further, is there any chance to hear a sample?

PS = nice touch placing the label over the floor tom. I play drums too.
    Last edited by gotta_be_crazy; 2020-09-05 at 04:31 AM.
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gotta_be_crazy View Post
    'September 24-28' could be February 25-28 easily. Or in the case it's legit, the person who got it, may had the dates wrong.
    If someone writes their 2's with a curl or loop on top, it's easy to imagine how that could end up getting mistaken for a 9 --

-- especially if the bottom of the number gets smudged or is covered up by a pre-existing line on a label.

In a funny way that error makes me think this is more plausible. What's the story behind the image, or what's its provenance?

Thanks

No, never heard this story. Don't see why the pic makes it any more plausible, either. Anyone can print out a label. There is, however, a well-circulated tape of a Wall rehearsal. Good sound but very hissy. If someone is sending something around telling silly stories about a leak direct from RW, that's probably what they have.

Thanks

I was hoping that this was known lore. It's not my place to say too much but this is in the possession of someone I know. I will have to see what else I can find out. Are there any soundboard versions of Nassau in circulation? I think this is a front of board sanctioned audience recording but there is also a soundboard. I'm not sure. This is part of a huge transferring effort that will take years and years to complete.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleantones View Post
    Are there any soundboard versions of Nassau in circulation? I think this is a front of board sanctioned audience recording but there is also a soundboard.
    Not to my knowledge, no, there aren't any Nassau soundboards around. As you may already know, there's a fragment of one of the L.A. shows that was shared from a tape that didn't end up coming into circulation:

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...this-recording

I don't remember whether it's a true soundboard or not (I thought so back in 2011, at least initially) but it sure sounded nice.

I find it totally plausible that quick 2-track reference recordings, reference mixes, or compilations of the Nassau shows existed, made either as a soundboard or open-air recording (we know the band have done both). Whether the story about the DJ and Roger is true, or whether this tape is what it claims to be? About that, I know nothing and have no firm opinion.

@keleven: Not the pic making the story more plausible, but the error. It's hard to put into words -- especially because my dog keeps interrupting me for head-scratches as I type this -- but it seems to me that someone creating a fake meant to deceive fans of the band would probably get that detail right and mess something else up, whereas an error made in the course of routine business follows a different pattern.

(Sort of a funny example, but I remember when people insisted that the Wall demos couldn't possibly be real because Roger would never write something as terrible as "Listen / I am a physician / And I can handle your condition / Like a magician". To me that proved exactly the opposite -- it was such a clunker that no one would ever put it into a deliberate forgery. Great artists make a lot of underwhelming rough drafts: just ask Beethoven, or Miles.)
    Last edited by goldenband; 2020-09-05 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

Cleantones - there is an excellent sounding audience tape from 2-28-80 that circulates and was the best sounding date until the 8-6-80 tape started circulating. It was heavily circulated and this reel could simply be a copy that was pitched to him as a rare reference tape. On the other hand, it may be gold. I would make yourself familiar with 2-28-80 show on this forum and look for certain audience noises and then try to give your friend's reel a listen to see if it's from the same source. It's worth a shot to give this a listen or have someone here analyze it for you. Also, let your friend know there is tons of PF material out there that's circulating with no issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demamo View Post
    Cleantones - there is an excellent sounding audience tape from 2-28-80 that circulates and was the best sounding date until the 8-6-80 tape started circulating. It was heavily circulated and this reel could simply be a copy that was pitched to him as a rare reference tape. On the other hand, it may be gold. I would make yourself familiar with 2-28-80 show on this forum and look for certain audience noises and then try to give your friend's reel a listen to see if it's from the same source. It's worth a shot to give this a listen or have someone here analyze it for you. Also, let your friend know there is tons of PF material out there that's circulating with no issues.
    I just wonder whether including 'There are several splices, but it is all one piece' makes it more or less likely a fake source. Splices could indicate the reel is from more that one date, as the range of wrong dates indicates, rather than a single show.