Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wall in Nassau Feb 1980 audio recording question / info

Thanks

Nassau did run from February 24th-28th, so that bit isn't what's suspicious. September is a fair bit off, could just be careless mis-labeling.

And to give a bit of information Nassau: Most of the recordings that are here are just very clean audience recordings/open air mic recordings. That's all. There's no proper soundboard of any Nassau show, unless you count Feb. 27th's Video Bootleg that was a test for the August 1980 shows to see if they could be shot. That show has Soundboard. There's a reel-to-reel copy obtained by a radio DJ of a Nassau show, but it's just an open air mic and not much else. However, if any snippets could be grabbed, this would be good for the rest of us to ID what show it is, and if it's just a reel with some random snippets of other Nassau AUD recordings on it.
    "And they're gonna kill ya; So like, If you give em a quick short, sharp, shock, they don't do it again. Dig it?"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UnwoundBob85 View Post
    Nassau did run from February 24th-28th, so that bit isn't what's suspicious. September is a fair bit off, could just be careless mis-labeling.

And to give a bit of information Nassau: Most of the recordings that are here are just very clean audience recordings/open air mic recordings. That's all. There's no proper soundboard of any Nassau show, unless you count Feb. 27th's Video Bootleg that was a test for the August 1980 shows to see if they could be shot. That show has Soundboard. There's a reel-to-reel copy obtained by a radio DJ of a Nassau show, but it's just an open air mic and not much else. However, if any snippets could be grabbed, this would be good for the rest of us to ID what show it is, and if it's just a reel with some random snippets of other Nassau AUD recordings on it.
    Im fairly certain that the video of 27th is open air mic or camera mic at best. Too much audience noise to be a soundboard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Journey Man View Post
    I just wonder whether including 'There are several splices, but it is all one piece' makes it more or less likely a fake source. Splices could indicate the reel is from more that one date, as the range of wrong dates indicates, rather than a single show.
    Not to be contrarian, but that's another one of those details that make me slightly more inclined to think this might be authentic. It would completely be in keeping with the band's style to compile a reel of the best parts of five different shows, with little interest in treating any single one of them as something to be preserved.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 48 Posts

Now I'm more curious
    Would you like to send our coloured cousins home again, my friend?
    All you need to do is follow the worms

Thanks

That show has Soundboard. There's a reel-to-reel copy obtained by a radio DJ of a Nassau show, but it's just an open air mic and not much else.
    So this IS something you've heard of? I hate to be cryptic but it's not fully my story to tell and I don't know if I would be pissing off my friend by explaining exactly who has this and what was told to me. I first posted looking for corroboration of the story. Ultimately I'm not sure I will get to hear this or to be able to "free" it. The guy who transferred it is legit and works for a company mostly of you would be familiar with. He is working on thousands of reel to reel transfers from another archivist. This is from a small batch from someone else and the radio deejay story is the origin of this reel. Until I put my ears on it I don't know exactly what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about the wrong date. That's an odd mistake from 40 years ago. This is not a fake that someone mocked up. That said I also don't know that it's something "new" or never heard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleantones View Post
    So this IS something you've heard of? I hate to be cryptic but it's not fully my story to tell and I don't know if I would be pissing off my friend by explaining exactly who has this and what was told to me. I first posted looking for corroboration of the story. Ultimately I'm not sure I will get to hear this or to be able to "free" it. The guy who transferred it is legit and works for a company mostly of you would be familiar with. He is working on thousands of reel to reel transfers from another archivist. This is from a small batch from someone else and the radio deejay story is the origin of this reel. Until I put my ears on it I don't know exactly what it is. I wouldn't worry too much about the wrong date. That's an odd mistake from 40 years ago. This is not a fake that someone mocked up. That said I also don't know that it's something "new" or never heard.
    Buddy, I'd say if you or your friend have the chance to hear a sample, or even better, to get a copy of the transfer, do it. I have the feeling this is legit. Sometimes we lost the point that we are just fans and we tend to think we know exactly how things work, and we lose the point that we are not part of the band and we don't know for sure how things work. For example, about 10 years ago, I found the DArk Side Studio rehearsals and shared it here, I remember listening to it and I knew from the beginning it was Floyd, but there was a discussion about it and most of our members were not convinced. And of course, it was legit. So, sometimes, we are not capable of recognizing the band we love.

I've been a musician since my 16's (and I'm 41 now) and I have recorded, taped, copied and passed along thousands of recordings from my band and from time to time some of my old friends tell me about certain recordings we made which I have absolutely no recollection of the event. And I listen to them and I go 'wtf that was us!'. So keep on searching for that one! And thanks a lot for bringing this up here!

And if it's not legit, who cares? At least to me, it's always a pleasure to look for this things, and the most important part, it's always fun!
    Last edited by gotta_be_crazy; 2020-09-08 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

Buddy, I'd say if you or your friend have the chance to hear a sample, or even better, to get a copy of the transfer, do it. I have the feeling this is legit. Sometimes we lost the point that we are just fans and we tend to think we know exactly how things work, and we lose the point that we are not part of the band and we don't know for sure how things work. For example, about 10 years ago, I found the DArk Side Studio rehearsals and shared it here, I remember listening to it and I knew from the beginning it was Floyd, but there was a discussion about it and most of our members were not convinced. And of course, it was legit. So, sometimes, we are not capable of recognizing the band we love.
    Absolutely. If it was in my power that would be happening. My friend is the one who transferred the reel for the owner. Who got it from the collection of the radio station. My getting my ears on it is not a given. Letting it out widely is even harder to promise. The rehearsals sound intriguing. I'm not sure I've ever spotted that. I will take a look for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleantones View Post
    Absolutely. If it was in my power that would be happening. My friend is the one who transferred the reel for the owner. Who got it from the collection of the radio station. My getting my ears on it is not a given. Letting it out widely is even harder to promise. The rehearsals sound intriguing. I'm not sure I've ever spotted that. I will take a look for it.
    Fingers crossed then!

Thanks

If the DJ or story in general is LA-based, maybe there is some way I can help. I know one LA DJ who knows many LA DJs. If this is not LA-based, I don't think I can help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demamo View Post
    If the DJ or story in general is LA-based, maybe there is some way I can help. I know one LA DJ who knows many LA DJs. If this is not LA-based, I don't think I can help.
    No it's a North East guy. Thanks though.