Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photos of Pink Floyd at the Amsterdam Concertgebouw.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,892 Times in 94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abronsius View Post
    November 6, 1970 ? If they were as good as in August and late 1969 at the same place.... was this 1970 gig recorded by VRO ?
    No, only one audience recorder.

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread...853#post161853

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n8ster View Post
    I'd say you're on track with the instruments and all I can add is the length of Gilmour's hair seems to say 1970; which was a bit shorter in 1969.
    I often tend to date photos by the length of the hair too :-D

Thanks

These are great photos! Yeah, definitely the 1970 gig I think. That guitar is the big giveaway. He brought that one on stage a lot on the late 1970 dates. Montreux for instance.

Thanks

Hey hey lively discussion! Thanks all for chipping in. I will have to listen to that recording to try and work out which tracks have the Bill Lewis guitar on them. Gilmour tended to make any guitar sound like Gilmour, so I find this tricky. The guitar on the Montreux recordings really clangs which might be a giveaway.

Are there any photos of the 1969 Concertgebouw gig in circulation? I've seen some of The Who from around the same era.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orgone Accumulator View Post
    Gilmour tended to make any guitar sound like Gilmour, so I find this tricky.
    that's why, according to some people/guitarists (myself included), the most of the actual "sound" is into the fingers of the guitarist... the rest is due to the equipment of choice.
    so, Gilmour will sound like Gilmour anyway.

an example... being a guitarist myself, i know that it's sufficient to "touch" the string differently to get a different sound... and it's plausible to think that, if you play on a different model of guitar, you will automatically change your own touch to nicely match "your own" sound.

one thing about the Reel recorder point...
    it's true that, in 1970, it was used to play the sound effects on The Embryo...
    but in 1969 they were playing The Man and The Journey which also needed a Reel recorder to play sound effects.

I guess that, from 1969 and on, the Floyds always needed a Reel recorded on stage for one reason or another...
    I can think about the beginning of AHM, the Dark Side of the Moon, etc...

NICE pictures, btw... thanks a lot for sharing.

Thanks

This has got to be from 1970. The boys look exactly they do in the KQED video. This has to be from the same time or shortly after.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vince666 View Post
    I guess that, from 1969 and on, the Floyds always needed a Reel recorded on stage for one reason or another...
    I can think about the beginning of AHM, the Dark Side of the Moon, etc...
    There's an Ampex reel-to-reel tape recorder on the back cover of Ummagumma in the middle of the equipment load-out photo, so it must have meant a lot to the band to have that machine on the road.

I'm trying to think of other bands that used ambient pre-recorded material onstage as early as 1969 and I can't think of any. Gong maybe used bits and pieces later on, but not that far back.