Thread: UFO Club

Thanks

Default UFO Club

OK, this clip has been on YouTube for years but there are some interesting comments from Mark R Jones (scroll down & expand the thread);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7byv6v_ku7w

Thanks

Does make you wonder what else is out there. Interesting that Hoppy was sentenced on Jun 1st and they had the ability to film and record down there the very next day. Kind of strange they did not wait for the SF set to record it as they are playing on The PFs instruments. Seems to suggest the possibility that there was some time constraint or that it was a last minute decision.

Thanks

I was fortunate to have a few conversations with Hoppy the year before he passed away. Nice guy and he loved to chat about the good old days.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,269 Times in 47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
    OK, this clip has been on YouTube for years but there are some interesting comments from Mark R Jones (scroll down & expand the thread);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7byv6v_ku7w
    Good old myth about Jack Moore filming Floyd at UFO. Mark got wrong information - this footage was officially released on Gong DVD
    https://www.discogs.com/Gong-Gong-Mo...release/920911

The source of the clip is Mark Boyle family.

Thanks

Nice, how did you meet him?

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    I was fortunate to have a few conversations with Hoppy the year before he passed away. Nice guy and he loved to chat about the good old days.

Thanks

Thanks Hallucination for confirming where this actually came from. Do we know if this is the only piece of film from UFO that Mark Boyle had? It seems weird that he would go to all that trouble just to film this one bit, but I guess if anything else exists it would have surfaced by now.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,269 Times in 47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    Thanks Hallucination for confirming where this actually came from. Do we know if this is the only piece of film from UFO that Mark Boyle had? It seems weird that he would go to all that trouble just to film this one bit, but I guess if anything else exists it would have surfaced by now.
    I tried to contact Boyle family via my friend and asking about further Soft Machine footage they have. No reply.

Thanks

Pic of UFO Club from the 1920s if anyone is interested !! mev-12549004.jpg

Thanks

It looks a little more elegant in that photo, thanks. I saw the thread yesterday and wanted to see this.

Those ceiling fans cause me some kind of visual concern when I see them spinning in the films! The Club looks broom closet size to me in the Pink Floyd era photos and clips. I guess I've never had a good feel for the layout and size.

Thanks

I love those ceiling fans, not sure why but I find the UFO Club building very interesting. It is strange and was no doubt a fire hazard too, never would see anything like that these days, back then I guess they kind of liked the idea of being underground like that. The place is bigger for sure and actually bigger than that first picture shows, here are a couple more views. It was called Rectors Club in the 1920s. Also the steps must have been very steep as it was under the theater at 30 Tottenham Crt Rd and UFO was 31, so you had to make a very steep decent to the left and then the club went long to the right under the theater. There is a great book on Amazon about The Purple Gang and it describes how the stairs were day glow colors. A lot of interesting info in that book about Pink Floyd Syd, the lost Joe Boyd tape that Syd made and The Purple Gang story is very interesting too.

29a6b0d5cc4a07f966a6f81013c22dce.jpg

]It looks a little more elegant in that photo, thanks. I saw the thread yesterday and wanted to see this.

Those ceiling fans cause me some kind of visual concern when I see them spinning in the films! The Club looks broom closet size to me in the Pink Floyd era photos and clips. I guess I've never had a good feel for the layout and size.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Friend of Squirrels; 2020-09-23 at 06:50 PM.