Thread: Stand alone release of Delicate Sound of Thunder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonmc57 View Post
    Good luck.
    3rd time was the charm
    I am you and what I see is me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmrw View Post
    By the way, I found out that the best way to enjoy this concert is trough a smartphone with an OLED screen, and some good headphones, in my bed at night, with lights out.
    As I think the image could be more close to what people saw if they attend it live, Im making a few changes to the video, and here is some pics for you to check out. These are video plugins, not photoshop plugins.
    I still think this was the concert I enjoyed the most, by any band at any time. So, Im always shearching for the best way to revive it.
    I saw it in Paris (Bercy) in 1989. I was 11 years old, my father took me. But, despite my age, and the smoke in the air, I do remeber it quite well!

Attachment 148588
    Attachment 148589
    Attachment 148590
    Attachment 148591
    Hi, did you install any particular enhancing video plug-in on your smartphone ? ...btw which is the player you used (the one the shots came from) ...and what resolution did you choose for playing through your smartphone ? The difference, in particular on the 2nd shot, is rather huge !

Thx a lot.
    Last edited by floyderrun; 2020-12-05 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post
    If I had to guess, playing "Shine On" or "Echoes" first was simply a way to "segue" the audience into the newer material by throwing them something that they're very familiar with first before giving them a solid hour of all-new material to sit through. Also, "Shine On" is a terrific set opener; certainly a better greeting for 60,000 people who have been waiting a decade to see you than, say, "Signs Of Life."

As for why they held "One Slip" back for the end of the show .... that track is by some measure the most upbeat/danceable song on 'Momentary Lapse' and someone (likely Gilmour) probably thought it sounded like a good encore piece to help bring the whole show to an upbeat close and perhaps *not* something to stick in the middle of an already-rearranged (and far more atmospheric) first set.

Just like a good record, a memorable live setlist has peaks and valleys in mood and tempo, but what works well on two sides of a record doesn't always work the same way in a live concert setting. For example: the band never played 'Animals' in sequence live because while "Pigs On The Wing" was a neat way to bookend the album, Waters almost certainly realized that a couple of gentle, minute-long acoustic tracks wouldn't have worked the same way opening and closing a massive-scale live set. I'm fairly certain that Gilmour felt the same way about 'Momentary Lapse,' and the arranging of the setlist was based largely on that.

Yeah i never did think off it in that way, I like shine on as a opener it does sound good and it gets you in the mood for the show hearing that opening sequence and knowing your are hearing that opening piece of music before guitar comes into it and the rest etc. I wish we could of had a alternate delicate sound album from 87 with echoes as opener as a bonus show throwen into boxsets such as later years or even delicate remastered as for one slip i find it a really good track and it does sound good as a closing piece to show before run like hell and i never thought of it being that upbeat way and thinking this is why it mabe was left till then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swirling Panpot View Post
    My suspicion is that it is no happenstance that One Slip is part of the encore and includes the sung refrain "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" in it. Gilmour wanted that song running through your head as you exited the show, so that hopefully you would go out and buy the album if you had not already done so. He calculated, rightly I think, that fans would not have liked it as the last song of the concert, so he finished with Run Like Hell, but put the highly promotional song in the strong slot of first encore. That has always been my assumption.

I realize this is a somewhat cynical viewpoint, but hey, I'm a Roger Waters fan...
    Hmmm mabe your right and could be onto something there, I think mabe this could be true place it as 2nd last encore fans hear it as it does mention album name in song lyrics and make them think this is a good track and now having heard this new stuff i would like to buy it and add to collection etc and get more into it. I myself never did think this could be a possible explanation. I like roger aswell but in his shows i wish if hes releasing stuff why not make it coplete like us and them cut the 2 tracks from show smell roses and encore and if kept in would have made it complete show but i suppose having bonus will do i will say same for his wall live album why not keep it full uncut on release even lol film is edited that matches cd again i no its a movie but he could ahve at least kept album uncut as seen live more fun.

Thanks

Default Delicate Sound Of Thunder Bluray / DVD - What The Hell Happened ??

Why the hell has this stand alone blu ray and dvd not been released in the CORRECT COMPLETE RUNNING ORDER ?? I am not interested in having a portion of the show as bonus tracks, WHY AREN'T THEY IN THE MAIN RUNNING ORDER OF THE SHOW ?? Also, what is the REAL REASON - Welcome To The Machine & Another Brick In The Wall Pt 2 are not included ?? I mean they professionally filmed every other track from the concerts on that tour WHY NOT THESE 2 SONGS (If that is the reason) ??. I have heard that they had trouble with Gerald Scarfe or something ?? - I DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF THAT IS TRUE OR JUST TALK. If that is the case, what does Gerald Scarfe have to do with Another brick in the wall Pt 2 not being included on The blu ray or dvd ?? I know that both songs are on The Vinyl And CD Sets just released, but not available on the damn blu ray or dvd !!! Please ease the pain here (someone .. anyone).
    Last edited by pinksmile; 2020-12-06 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinksmile View Post
    Why the hell has this stand alone blu ray and dvd not been released in the CORRECT COMPLETE RUNNING ORDER ?? I am not interested in having a portion of the show as bonus tracks, WHY AREN'T THEY IN THE MAIN RUNNING ORDER OF THE SHOW ?? Also, what is the REAL REASON - Welcome To The Machine & Another Brick In The Wall Pt 2 are not included ?? I mean they professionally filmed every other track from the concerts on that tour WHY NOT THESE 2 SONGS (If that is the reason) ??. I have heard that they had trouble with Gerald Scarfe or something ?? - I DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF THAT IS TRUE OR JUST TALK. If that is the case, what does Gerald Scarfe have to do with Another brick in the wall Pt 2 not being included on The blu ray or dvd ?? I know they both songs are on The Vinyl And CD Sets just released, but not available on the damn blu ray or dvd !!! Please ease the pain here (someone .. anyone).
    Yeah, it's sad that the only known pink floyd show filmed in it's entirety isn't edited complete. I believe the reason for WTTM and ABITW PT. 2 not included in the movie might be that those songs were Roger Waters compositions, and to avoid paying wrighting credits probably that's the reason, WTTM had Gerald Scarfe projections but ABITW PT. 2 hadn't. For me every songs should be on the movie, and also with multi angle option, because the venue, lighting effects are amazing! But this opinion are not consentual among floyd fans.

Thanks

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyslb View Post
    Yeah, it's sad that the only known pink floyd show filmed in it's entirety isn't edited complete. I believe the reason for WTTM and ABITW PT. 2 not included in the movie might be that those songs were Roger Waters compositions, and to avoid paying wrighting credits probably that's the reason, WTTM had Gerald Scarfe projections but ABITW PT. 2 hadn't. For me every songs should be on the movie, and also with multi angle option, because the venue, lighting effects are amazing! But this opinion are not consentual among floyd fans.
    Thanks for you thoughts, but MONEY Is a Roger Waters Credited Song and they included that so that can't be the reason (in my opinion) why both Welcome To The Machine and Brick 2 were not included. The EQUALLY CRAZY part of this blu ray / dvd release is the bonus crap of Yet Another Movie through to A New Machine Pt 2 being placed as bonus friggin features instead of were it should be in the program. I mean WHAT THE .... Screw Pink Floyd and there as always ridiculous management decisions.
    Last edited by pinksmile; 2020-12-06 at 04:57 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinksmile View Post
    Why the hell has this stand alone blu ray and dvd not been released in the CORRECT COMPLETE RUNNING ORDER ?? I am not interested in having a portion of the show as bonus tracks, WHY AREN'T THEY IN THE MAIN RUNNING ORDER OF THE SHOW ?? Also, what is the REAL REASON - Welcome To The Machine & Another Brick In The Wall Pt 2 are not included ?? I mean they professionally filmed every other track from the concerts on that tour WHY NOT THESE 2 SONGS (If that is the reason) ??. I have heard that they had trouble with Gerald Scarfe or something ?? - I DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF THAT IS TRUE OR JUST TALK. If that is the case, what does Gerald Scarfe have to do with Another brick in the wall Pt 2 not being included on The blu ray or dvd ?? I know they both songs are on The Vinyl And CD Sets just released, but not available on the damn blu ray or dvd !!! Please ease the pain here (someone .. anyone).
    When the original version of Delicate Sound Of Thunder was released in the middle of 1989, it was intended to be more of a theatrical-style presentation than a complete record of the whole concert the way it was. As you're probably aware, the original release was far more stylishly edited together and noticeably shortened in order to make it a 90-minute presentation. Most live videos back then were put together this way, whether to save on tape and keep prices down, or make these shows more cable broadcast-friendly, or decrease the chance of tape defects (or potentially boring anyone to death) with two-and-a-half hour video presentations ... I have no idea what the thinking was behind these decisions; maybe it was a mix of all of these possibilities. Also, the sell-through video market was still in its infancy back then: most videos that came to market were still being released at $90 or more and aimed squarely at rental stores, and straight-to-retail releases like this one were more of a special event than commonplace like they are now. That's just the way it was. By the time P*u*l*s*e appeared six years later, the thinking and approach behind live video releases had changed considerably, and you were seeing entire concerts being put out for the fans that the industry knew by then would be buying them en masse.

The problem with "Yet Another Movie/Round And Around," both "New Machine"s and "Terminal Frost" is that they were not filmed as thoroughly as the rest of the show, which is fairly obvious from watching the footage. It's likely the decision was made early in the shoot that these songs would not be included in the final running order, so there was no need to cover them as completely and carefully as the rest of the set. Thirty years later, it was probably thought by Aubrey Powell and the editing team that sticking this footage into the running order, while it would have given you a complete first set, would have looked a bit shoddy/out of place in comparison to the rest of the presentation. That these songs were included at all was commendable on their behalf, frankly; they didn't need to put them on there. Sure, it's a minor drag that they're presented out of order, but at least you have them.

"Welcome To The Machine" and "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2" were simply not filmed, full stop. Since all of the shows were recorded for audio, it wasn't a big deal to include the entire set on the CD release (edited down a bit for length and presentation), but clearly there were some kind of issues, legal or personal or preferential, that kept them from shooting "Welcome" and "Brick."
    Last edited by vbc3; 2020-12-06 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post
    When the original version of Delicate Sound Of Thunder was released in the middle of 1989, it was intended to be more of a theatrical-style presentation than a complete record of the whole concert the way it was. As you're probably aware, the original release was far more stylishly edited together and noticeably shortened in order to make it a 90-minute presentation. Most live videos back then were put together this way, whether to save on tape and keep prices down, or make these shows more cable broadcast-friendly, or decrease the chance of tape defects (or potentially boring anyone to death) with two-and-a-half hour video presentations ... I have no idea what the thinking was behind these decisions; maybe it was a mix of all of these possibilities. Also, the sell-through video market was still in its infancy back then: most videos that came to market were still being released at $90 or more and aimed squarely at rental stores, and straight-to-retail releases like this one were more of a special event than commonplace like they are now. That's just the way it was. By the time P*u*l*s*e appeared six years later, the thinking and approach behind live video releases had changed considerably, and you were seeing entire concerts being put out for the fans that the industry knew by then would be buying them en masse.

The problem with "Yet Another Movie/Round And Around," both "New Machine"s and "Terminal Frost" is that they were not filmed as thoroughly as the rest of the show, which is fairly obvious from watching the footage. It's likely the decision was made early in the shoot that these songs would not be included in the final running order, so there was no need to cover them as completely and carefully as the rest of the set. Thirty years later, it was probably thought by Aubrey Powell and the editing team that sticking this footage into the running order, while it would have given you a complete first set, would have looked a bit shoddy/out of place in comparison to the rest of the presentation. That these songs were included at all was commendable on their behalf, frankly; they didn't need to put them on there. Sure, it's a minor drag that they're presented out of order, but at least you have them.

"Welcome To The Machine" and "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2" were simply not filmed, full stop. Since all of the shows were recorded for audio, it wasn't a big deal to include the entire set on the CD release (edited down a bit for length and presentation), but clearly there were some kind of issues, legal or personal or preferential, that kept them from shooting "Welcome" and "Brick."
    Welcome to the machine, at least was filmed, there's footage on the old vhs version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyslb View Post
    Welcome to the machine, at least was filmed, there's footage on the old vhs version.
    It was only filmed with a single camera and used as a timelapse element during the credits. WTTM and Brick 2 were not filmed.