Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Stand alone release of Delicate Sound of Thunder

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe59 View Post
    It was only filmed with a single camera and used as a timelapse element during the credits. WTTM and Brick 2 were not filmed.
    Hi Ron,

Do we have any reasonable fan footage of these tracks?

Kind Regards, Stephen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by studio_two View Post
    Hi Ron,

Kind Regards, Stephen.
    There is a distant thunder dvd bootleg from 19th August

Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 20 Posts

Yet Another Movie/Round and Around, New Machine and Terminal Frost are stereo only.

Could it be a combination of things. That they were they not filmed as thoroughly as the rest of the show, they tried to create the surround track to fit into the show, there was poor match in overall sound and visual, so they decided to make them separate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick0725 View Post
    Yet Another Movie/Round and Around, New Machine and Terminal Frost are stereo only.

Could it be a combination of things. That they were they not filmed as thoroughly as the rest of the show, they tried to create the surround track to fit into the show, there was poor match in overall sound and visual, so they decided to make them separate.
    If that's the case I can easily accept that and I appreciate that they included the bonus songs which are amazing to have. Would be cool if someone could fill the gaps of WTTM and Brick 2 with audience shot footage, maybe there's even a few angles to work with and if mixed with the screen films and using the official audio it might work well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by studio_two View Post
    Hi Ron,

Kind Regards, Stephen.

I edited this video some years ago to the audio on the Magna Qualitas Records version of DSOT.
    Still, if someone were to put together a "full DSOT" video I think using the original Gerald Scarfe animation would blend in much better, seeing as it's in HD and they do use screen footage in the 2019 version of DSOT.
    As for Another Brick, a few seconds of Atlanta OMNI footage made their way into a promo for the album I think. But even if the entire OMNI footage was found it would still look too incongruous to include.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post

I edited this video some years ago to the audio on the Magna Qualitas Records version of DSOT.
    Still, if someone were to put together a "full DSOT" video I think using the original Gerald Scarfe animation would blend in much better, seeing as it's in HD and they do use screen footage in the 2019 version of DSOT.
    As for Another Brick, a few seconds of Atlanta OMNI footage made their way into a promo for the album I think. But even if the entire OMNI footage was found it would still look too incongruous to include.
    that's the video i saw a long time ago, that made me think that gilmour just didn't want to include the footage of himself wearing the headphones/clicktrack monitor? for vanity reasons, perhaps. or to present the commercial version of the show as a looser, more "rock 'n' roll" version, rather than the regimented, play-by-numbers stuff that roger had steered the band toward. (i mean, 'money' couldn't have gotten more loose, or rock 'n' roll, than the way they did it?) and is there something more regimented at a rock show than a clicktrack?! but i also wonder, if by the time they decided to film the nassau shows, if he wished he could just drop WttM, as he had 'echoes?' maybe he was just tired of it?

but i also think it just comes down to him playing those (and WttM only for the momentary tour, as a companion "classic" piece to go with 'a new machine?') because the fans really wanted/expected them, and he is not as comfortable with the negativity in the lyrics (of both). as i've said before, i've never heard ABitW2 from any post-waters floyd where david sounds like he's having fun singing it, and neither it nor WttM has ever featured in a gilmour solo show. he's also stated in an interview (someone else here may know which one) that he doesn't think ABitW2 could or should be written today, because of the negativity it espouses. [eric bloom has said much the same about ME-262, because of its german/ww2 angle... from the german POV].

anyway, just my .02 worth...

i think the interview i was looking for was a video thing on youtube, but for further reference, this article about live8:

https://www.digitalspy.com/music/a30...ph7BQYPsOYChOX

Thanks

Always been a bit puzzling but I believe the answer likely lies somewhere with WTTM and ABITW2 being the only two songs in the show that Waters had sole credit to. Did Roger have the ability to not grant permission for video but not able to keep it off the cds OR did PF 1987 do it in a way to pay him less? No clue, but as someone who was lucky to see a lot of these shows in the flesh, WTTM was very well received, no way the band wouldn't have noticed. So to leave such a highlight out, had to be on purpose imo.

Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post
    When the original version of Delicate Sound Of Thunder was released in the middle of 1989, it was intended to be more of a theatrical-style presentation than a complete record of the whole concert the way it was. As you're probably aware, the original release was far more stylishly edited together and noticeably shortened in order to make it a 90-minute presentation. Most live videos back then were put together this way, whether to save on tape and keep prices down, or make these shows more cable broadcast-friendly, or decrease the chance of tape defects (or potentially boring anyone to death) with two-and-a-half hour video presentations ... I have no idea what the thinking was behind these decisions; maybe it was a mix of all of these possibilities. Also, the sell-through video market was still in its infancy back then: most videos that came to market were still being released at $90 or more and aimed squarely at rental stores, and straight-to-retail releases like this one were more of a special event than commonplace like they are now. That's just the way it was. By the time P*u*l*s*e appeared six years later, the thinking and approach behind live video releases had changed considerably, and you were seeing entire concerts being put out for the fans that the industry knew by then would be buying them en masse.

The problem with "Yet Another Movie/Round And Around," both "New Machine"s and "Terminal Frost" is that they were not filmed as thoroughly as the rest of the show, which is fairly obvious from watching the footage. It's likely the decision was made early in the shoot that these songs would not be included in the final running order, so there was no need to cover them as completely and carefully as the rest of the set. Thirty years later, it was probably thought by Aubrey Powell and the editing team that sticking this footage into the running order, while it would have given you a complete first set, would have looked a bit shoddy/out of place in comparison to the rest of the presentation. That these songs were included at all was commendable on their behalf, frankly; they didn't need to put them on there. Sure, it's a minor drag that they're presented out of order, but at least you have them.

"Welcome To The Machine" and "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2" were simply not filmed, full stop. Since all of the shows were recorded for audio, it wasn't a big deal to include the entire set on the CD release (edited down a bit for length and presentation), but clearly there were some kind of issues, legal or personal or preferential, that kept them from shooting "Welcome" and "Brick."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    [video=youtube;IFsKzKE52PA]I edited this video some years ago to the audio on the Magna Qualitas Records version of DSOT.
    Many thanks. Thatís great!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by floyderrun View Post
    Hi, did you install any particular enhancing video plug-in on your smartphone ? ...btw which is the player you used (the one the shots came from) ...and what resolution did you choose for playing through your smartphone ? The difference, in particular on the 2nd shot, is rather huge !

Thx a lot.
    Hello. Sorry for taking so long to answer. Actually I'm making a project that involves changing brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness for every shot!! I mean: each shot gets its own settings! Yes, it takes a lot of time, and I do have a life, but I'm in no hurry. I want to see where can I possibly get, and I've learned a lot about video and film editing with this experience. But it's just a hobby.
    As for the resolution, for the smartphone, the final result won't be HD. I made a test with the same clip in HD and SD, and draw the conclusion that in a screen of that size, the HD is not worth it.