Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 109

Thread: Stand alone release of Delicate Sound of Thunder

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Near a Man-Made Island
    Posts
    1,662
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked 223 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    I decided to order the vinyl set, even though I already have the content via the Later Years set. I had a discount and some gift cards at Amazon to use anyway. The package arrived on Friday, and the album inside is.....damaged. Looks like it happened in the process of putting it in the inner cardboard sleeve. Torn shrink wrap, creased the outer cover, etc. Requested a replacement, which arrived today and. .. also damaged. So aggravating. Called to request another replacement with gentle handling. We shall see...
    I am you and what I see is me.



  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    917
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 542 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
    I decided to order the vinyl set, even though I already have the content via the Later Years set. I had a discount and some gift cards at Amazon to use anyway. The package arrived on Friday, and the album inside is.....damaged. Looks like it happened in the process of putting it in the inner cardboard sleeve. Torn shrink wrap, creased the outer cover, etc. Requested a replacement, which arrived today and. .. also damaged. So aggravating. Called to request another replacement with gentle handling. We shall see...
    Amazon sucks. Avoid them like the plague. There are usually other options.
    Seeking the following:
    • PIL
    • Arcade Fire
    • My Bloody Valentine

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near Liverpool England, just across the Mersey on The Wirral
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    Amazon sucks. Avoid them like the plague. There are usually other options.
    I use Amazon UK, in hundreds of transactions I have never had a damaged anything. They are always my first option. They are first class in packing an delivery, for me anyway.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Near a Man-Made Island
    Posts
    1,662
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked 223 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by movement View Post
    Amazon sucks. Avoid them like the plague. There are usually other options.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonmc57 View Post
    I use Amazon UK, in hundreds of transactions I have never had a damaged anything. They are always my first option. They are first class in packing an delivery, for me anyway.
    I've had very good luck with Amazon UK. I've ordered from other Europe Amazon sites, too, depending on price. One time a damaged LP was replaced and they said to keep the original, etc. Sadly UK wasn't an option this time - they wouldn't let me order this for shipping to US. I've had decent luck with Amazon US overall, but things do happen and I don't exactly expect warehouse pickers to give things the "white glove" treatment. And yes, there are local shops I'd normally support, but I had a discount and gift cards to use. So, fingers crossed for package #3...
    I am you and what I see is me.



  5. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near Liverpool England, just across the Mersey on The Wirral
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mooncusser View Post
    I've had very good luck with Amazon UK. I've ordered from other Europe Amazon sites, too, depending on price. One time a damaged LP was replaced and they said to keep the original, etc. Sadly UK wasn't an option this time - they wouldn't let me order this for shipping to US. I've had decent luck with Amazon US overall, but things do happen and I don't exactly expect warehouse pickers to give things the "white glove" treatment. And yes, there are local shops I'd normally support, but I had a discount and gift cards to use. So, fingers crossed for package #3...
    Good luck.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 108 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    yeah i got the set next day from amazon uk the 2cd and blu ray/dvd set when i ordered it friday and never had a problem with them so far and one thing i do like is when i had purchased this set it was cheapest option at time compared to floyd site and others who were much dearer in price as amazon was only 42.99 all others were aroung 49.99 or bit more so opted for amazon and then i had noticed it ended up going down to 36.63 and all of a sudden i got email from amazon to say i was getting the excess amount extra i had paid back to my account as it was price match if they had lower than what i paid i get it for that price which in this case happened so was cheapest out there and still is i think in uk?.I listen to set 1 on my phone ripped it to .wav format at 16bit with 44.100hz rate in stereo using itunes and listening to it with my samsung buds+ on phone sounded pretty excellent quality for what options i had choose to rip it to.Will see how it is on pc compared to phone later but al in good value for money for those of us who couldnt afford the later years box set 1 thing i wish they did include was the remix album of momentary lapse as well into this set and anyone no why like in the show they play full album first half with one classic track to start of it but miss out one slip and add it to set 2 which is just basically all the golden oldie floyd stuff? i would think they could have just played it all on part 1 and left 2 as all the hit classics? i was just wondering this yesterday why this was something they did.
    Last edited by toxie; 2020-11-24 at 07:23 PM.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Painesville, OH
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxie View Post
    anyone no why like in the show they play full album first half with one classic track to start of it but miss out one slip and add it to set 2 which is just basically all the golden oldie floyd stuff? i would think they could have just played it all on part 1 and left 2 as all the hit classics? i was just wondering this yesterday why this was something they did.
    With the exception of 'The Wall' tour, the whole "new material first set, golden oldies second set" has been their live M.O. since 1972. That's just the way they like to do it.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 108 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post
    With the exception of 'The Wall' tour, the whole "new material first set, golden oldies second set" has been their live M.O. since 1972. That's just the way they like to do it.
    Yeah that i understand and do no i ment in the way that as i said set 1 is new stuff and 2 old but why play 1 new track in set 2 that is part of set 1 album they play? i was asking if they played full album on the tour what was the reason for doing it all but 1 track in set 1 and leaving that 1 track one slip till the floyd set as encore? This is what i mean i thought it be better to just do it all in set 1 if they did every other song?

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Painesville, OH
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxie View Post
    Yeah that i understand and do no i ment in the way that as i said set 1 is new stuff and 2 old but why play 1 new track in set 2 that is part of set 1 album they play? i was asking if they played full album on the tour what was the reason for doing it all but 1 track in set 1 and leaving that 1 track one slip till the floyd set as encore? This is what i mean i thought it be better to just do it all in set 1 if they did every other song?
    If I had to guess, playing "Shine On" or "Echoes" first was simply a way to "segue" the audience into the newer material by throwing them something that they're very familiar with first before giving them a solid hour of all-new material to sit through. Also, "Shine On" is a terrific set opener; certainly a better greeting for 60,000 people who have been waiting a decade to see you than, say, "Signs Of Life."

    As for why they held "One Slip" back for the end of the show .... that track is by some measure the most upbeat/danceable song on 'Momentary Lapse' and someone (likely Gilmour) probably thought it sounded like a good encore piece to help bring the whole show to an upbeat close and perhaps *not* something to stick in the middle of an already-rearranged (and far more atmospheric) first set.

    Just like a good record, a memorable live setlist has peaks and valleys in mood and tempo, but what works well on two sides of a record doesn't always work the same way in a live concert setting. For example: the band never played 'Animals' in sequence live because while "Pigs On The Wing" was a neat way to bookend the album, Waters almost certainly realized that a couple of gentle, minute-long acoustic tracks wouldn't have worked the same way opening and closing a massive-scale live set. I'm fairly certain that Gilmour felt the same way about 'Momentary Lapse,' and the arranging of the setlist was based largely on that.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 490 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vbc3 View Post

    As for why they held "One Slip" back for the end of the show .... that track is by some measure the most upbeat/danceable song on 'Momentary Lapse' and someone (likely Gilmour) probably thought it sounded like a good encore piece to help bring the whole show to an upbeat close and perhaps *not* something to stick in the middle of an already-rearranged (and far more atmospheric) first set.
    My suspicion is that it is no happenstance that One Slip is part of the encore and includes the sung refrain "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" in it. Gilmour wanted that song running through your head as you exited the show, so that hopefully you would go out and buy the album if you had not already done so. He calculated, rightly I think, that fans would not have liked it as the last song of the concert, so he finished with Run Like Hell, but put the highly promotional song in the strong slot of first encore. That has always been my assumption.

    I realize this is a somewhat cynical viewpoint, but hey, I'm a Roger Waters fan...
    Floyd First Since 1978

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •