Thread: New Syd Peel Sessions source?

Thanks

Default New Syd Peel Sessions source?

This was just uploaded and contains the whole broadcast. The sound is quite excellent. Donít know if it circulates already. Fun listen.

https://www.mixcloud.com/karleldridg...on-whole-show/

Thanks

The guy who uploaded this is on a (very worthwhile imo) mission to upload every single John Peel show onto Mixcloud, and mostly in chronological order. That's some lockdown project!

I think he's also done some of the Top Gears if you wanted to search out the PF sessions and listen to them in context.

Thanks

John Peel refers to Two Of A Kind as a Rick Wright song following it's performance. I know that's been speculated in the past but seems like this confirms it?? Is this recording new?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaMike View Post
    John Peel refers to Two Of A Kind as a Rick Wright song following it's performance. I know that's been speculated in the past but seems like this confirms it?? Is this recording new?
    Great catch! Wow, that really tilts the scales toward confirming Two of a Kind as Rick's -- I don't think Peel would have said that if he didn't feel sure of it. I wonder if he was told by Syd, or by David Gilmour, or if it was recorded in some other way (log sheets).

The exact quote, BTW, is "Something of a Rick Wright composition there by Syd Barrett, and that was 'Two of a Kind', with assistance again by Dave Gilmour and Jerry Shirley."

I assume the "Something of a..." isn't meant as equivocation or comparison, but is simply a filler phrase. (I don't think Peel is saying "That sounds like it was a Rick Wright composition but is actually by Syd", in other words.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I assume the "Something of a..." isn't meant as equivocation or comparison, but is simply a filler phrase. (I don't think Peel is saying "That sounds like it was a Rick Wright composition but is actually by Syd", in other words.)
    Exactly. It's just semantics.

Thanks

Actually, I feel like it's the opposite. I think he's saying, Wow, that sounds like something Rick Wright would have written. Who knows!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chazarrelli View Post
    This was just uploaded and contains the whole broadcast. The sound is quite excellent. Donít know if it circulates already. Fun listen.

https://www.mixcloud.com/karleldridg...on-whole-show/
    thanks. I'm trying to download it. Did someone isolate the unreleased song which would have been written (?) by Rick Wright ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by demamo View Post
    Actually, I feel like it's the opposite. I think he's saying, Wow, that sounds like something Rick Wright would have written. Who knows!?
    Hmm. By this point, released songs by Rick were:

Paintbox
    It Would Be So Nice
    Remember a Day
    See Saw
    Sysyphus

I mean, it doesn't sound totally dissimilar to some of those, but I don't think it's enough like them to go "wow! This totally sounds like another of Rick's songs!"