Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Listen to Early Morning Henry featuring Pink Floyd

Thanks

The backing vocals could be Norman Smith himself - he had his own career as a singer later on, and apparently added some b.vocs to Floyd tracks around this period.

Thanks

OK, I asked two days ago to Lana Topham (who forwarded to Paul). Just get the reply of the Floyd's mgmt:"it seems to be a fake". Who knows ?

Thanks

Lana Topham and Paul Loasby aren't going to know shit. I'd be slightly surprised if even Nick and Roger could remember the session after all these years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azerty View Post
    OK, I asked two days ago to Lana Topham (who forwarded to Paul). Just get the reply of the Floyd's mgmt:"it seems to be a fake". Who knows ?
    Is this official? And has Jim Lahat been confronted with that?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,271 Times in 47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Felix Atagong View Post
    Is this official? And has Jim Lahat been confronted with that?
    Does it matter that much? David Parker is 100% sure of it's authencity. So it's couple of other leading Floyd authorities.

Back in 2010 Nick mentioned probably in Wire magazine that John Latham recording is myth because it hasn't surfaced on bootlegs.

They are probably taken a cursory listening on youtube and dismissed it instantly. Remember, this is the same team who released 1967 BBC Sessions in such glorious quality on official box set and insisted that this is the best source in existence.

So i don't think it's matter what Loasby or Topham think on this issue. They aren't going to release it anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,271 Times in 47 Posts

Fron Neptune PF Forum:

"100% Pink Floyd backing as the reference number on this Acetate D 375 complied with the reference number of the Publishing data base (D 375) which stated William “Billy” Butler (Composer, Vocals), Pink Floyd (Backing band), Norman Smith (Producer), Recording Date ( 23rd October 1967), Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, Jamarnie Music (publishing copyright), Not released, it also mentionS “No Tape Available” (meaning there was no master tape in the archive) there is no mistaking what this is....even if people’s memories are a bit hazy after 53 years and a lot of mind expanding substances."

https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/f...hp?f=1&t=25459

Also..

"The Auction room had to take the name of Pink Floyd down, after a threatening phone call from the manager.
    Although there was no denying this was Pink Floyd backing.
    Sad that people with so much money care about some minor demo they have done as a favour back in the day...."
    Last edited by hallucalation; 2020-09-28 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks

He's said the same on the YouTube thread. So that date fits with the recording sheet in Random Precision.

He's had no luck tracing Butler himself apparently. Maybe I'll have a try...

Thanks

Ok, I've established contact with his daughter. More soon, hopefully...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Friend of Squirrels View Post
    After listening to it again I completely agree that it does sound like Roger and has the famous Rickenbacker tone.
    Not really. It sounds like a Gibson bass like an EB0, EB2 etc. Totally different tone to a Rickenbacker so not sure where you got that idea from.

The only thing I hear on this track that is Floydian, to my ears, is the piano line. Those 8th notes, rising in volume, is something Rick does elsewhere, such as on See Saw.

At a guess, Norman Smith played the drums (the fills are too short and tight to be Nick), Rick played keys and an unknown session musician played bass.

Thanks

For me, the acid test isn't whether any of the band members remember it -- why would they, after all? -- but whether Billy Butler claims it as his own. If he does, and confirms the story of using the Floyd's studio time, that settles it for me.

That said, it also seems entirely possible (even likely) that it was only a subset of the band that participated. And I agree that, of the four, Rick is the closest to having an identifiable signature on the recording.

As a side note, it's kind of interesting that the chord progression has similarities to Rise and Shine and Morning Glory from Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast. Shared chords are in bold, and appear in the same order:

Early Morning Henry (from "No mortal mind...")

E | G#7 | A | C#7 | F#m | G#7/D# G#7 | D | B |

Rise and Shine and Morning Glory (introduction):

E | G# | F#m | D | C7 B |

In the main part of Morning Glory, the first three chords are just about identical to the start of Early Morning Henry, but then it goes off on its own, inimitably Rick Wright tangent:

E | G# | A | B | C | Bbm | F/C | Bb . D G | F# | B |
    E | G# | A | B | C | Db | Eb F | Bb . D G | F# | F# |

Certainly not a smoking-gun resemblance -- especially because the E > G#7 > A chord progression shows up (transposed) in lots of songs, e.g. Radiohead's "Creep" and the Hollies' "All I Need Is the Air That I Breathe".

But it's still interesting nonetheless: you can sing the first bit of EMH over Morning Glory and it just about fits...
    Last edited by goldenband; 2020-09-29 at 10:44 PM.