Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 72

Thread: Listen to Early Morning Henry featuring Pink Floyd

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    His daughter has confirmed that it's definitely Billy's song and that he is singing on the track. She's going to ask him about the background to the recording and the Floyd link and report back...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,173
    Thanks
    323
    Thanked 978 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    What a fun thread!

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 4,269 Times in 47 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post
    His daughter has confirmed that it's definitely Billy's song and that he is singing on the track. She's going to ask him about the background to the recording and the Floyd link and report back...
    Great work, Mark!

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I think they are quite reluctant to get involved with the Pink Floyd link from talking to them.

    At most we might expect a better recording of Early Morning Henry done after the initial demo, and definitely not featuring any PF members.
    Keith Jordan
    Neptune Pink Floyd

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 4,269 Times in 47 Posts

    Default

    William's daughter showed up at Nepture PF and she is clearly going in circles, not wanting directly to answer the question. I suspect something fishy going on here..

    "I had a long conversation with my dad today about this song and he is not suffering any dementia and has vivid memories of all of it. Could you please give me the respect of waiting until he decides how he would like to proceed. He’s feeling a little vulnerable with his music and the interest that has been taken, and we are still working that with him."

    Also:

    "I will say that Norman Smith was shopping dad around to different bands around that time. And there is a story about Rod Clark and the Moody blues auditioning dad as well. With PF There was speculation that they were going to replace Barrett. I think there was some hope that they would hear dad‘s voice, and EMH and see where that landed, but it was subtle. Not outwardly auditioning per se. and of course we know history, and Norman Smith walked out of the studio with the tape of Early Morning Henry.


    But of course it’s not the only recording of it. We have numerous recordings of it on reel to reel. But Nothing on digital yet. We’re working to convert it. We might be able to compare the different recordings and pinpoint a date to see if it corresponds to anything in our archives. If we don’t have tape then Norman Smith daughter would have it.

    We are also wondering if there’s a chance that Norman Smith overdubbed dad‘s voice onto the track, and then cut the vinyl from that.

    It is a very curious catalogue entry attached to this vinyl that seems to indicate that this in fact was Pink Floyd as the backing band.

    You have to remember most of the musicians working in the scene were moonlighting around town. My dad might not have recognized the musicians he played with as being Pink Floyd per se. Hard to know. When you’re also an up-and-coming want to be rockstar, you kind of discount the other musicians to some degree. You’ve always got a believe in yourself as being potentially better than the other guy."


    https://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/f...25459&start=30

    To me it's sounds like she basically confirms that it's PF indirectly... I guess all legal hell would break loose if she confirms it's PF so i don't doubt she would say anything definitive. Happy to be wrong.
    Last edited by hallucalation; 2020-09-30 at 11:07 AM.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hallucalation View Post
    William's daughter showed up at Nepture PF and she is clearly going in circles, not wanting directly to answer the question. I suspect something fishy going on here..
    I don't agree. Reading her posts there and the Facebook conversation I had with her yesterday, I think she's as keen as anyone to get to the bottom of what this track really is. Obviously she doesn't personally know, and her dad who's in his late 70s may not have thought about it for 50 years or more. At the moment I think all we can do is be patient and see what emerges. It must be a very odd position for them to be in, and I sincerely think she's doing her best.

    One thought - the date of the Floyd Early Morning Henry session was right when they were struggling to find a single to follow-up Emily. Vegetable Man/Jugband Blues had been done earlier in the month and were apparently rejected by EMI. Maybe Norman Smith brought Billy Butler in as a hired songwriter to see if he had anything they could use - hence a Floyd version of Early Morning Henry with his vocals on as a guide, the idea being that Syd or Rick would overdub the final version. Obviously it didn't happen, the band would have rejected the whole idea, and they started work on Apples and Oranges the following day.

    Just an idea, but could be plausible?

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    You can clearly hear Rick Wright and Roger Waters on that track IMOP. David Parker said that EMI were very strict on the rules and Smith wrote it on The Pink Floyd recording sheet so there are now two logical reasons to believe that some members of PF are on that recording. My guess is that Smith was trying to capture some bit of the PF sound as they were top 40 hit makers as well.
    I do not see what the issue is at this point. The EMI recording sheet says PF so we can logically assume that some PF members were on the recording and The Random Precision writer already confirmed that EMI were very strict with their recording sheets.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 4,269 Times in 47 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marksturdy View Post

    One thought - the date of the Floyd Early Morning Henry session was right when they were struggling to find a single to follow-up Emily. Vegetable Man/Jugband Blues had been done earlier in the month and were apparently rejected by EMI. Maybe Norman Smith brought Billy Butler in as a hired songwriter to see if he had anything they could use - hence a Floyd version of Early Morning Henry with his vocals on as a guide, the idea being that Syd or Rick would overdub the final version. Obviously it didn't happen, the band would have rejected the whole idea, and they started work on Apples and Oranges the following day.

    Just an idea, but could be plausible?
    They were never rejected at EMI nor Scream Thy Last Scream. I haven't seen any internal memos or someone who was in the position to state that. Yet everyone claims that Scream & Vegetable Man were rejected by EMI. Both were just unfinished and left at that state when Syd was left. There was no point in finishing them without Syd. Jugband Blues happens to be released because it was finished and mixed back in 1967.
    That theory about Billy hired as songwriter is clearly wrong. He was just brought in by Norman to fill in the remaining time on session. Syd was never short on new songs, it just happened that what he offered to the band was clearly not suitable for single material.

    It's funny to see how suddenly, out of nowhere, his composition started to be considered as a single for Pink Floyd and his daughter even offering the view that he was auditioned with that demo as substitute for Syd (ludicrous)
    Last edited by hallucalation; 2020-09-30 at 02:35 PM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The only issue is that we don't quite have anything that definitively ties this specific recording of Early Morning Henry to the Floyd session in October 1967. I agree it's all extremely plausible, but I wouldn't want to bet the farm on it, you know?

    If you're just going by the sound of the recording, yes the bass and keyboards could very easily be Roger and Rick. It doesn't sound unlike them at all. But they could just as easily be almost anyone else. They're really not that distinctive.

    What I'm hoping for now is either a clear recollection from Billy Butler, or sight of the Jarmarnie Music catalogue that the seller is claiming holds the relevant info. Either that or Nick or Roger having a sudden return of memory.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    350
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hallucalation View Post
    They were never rejected at EMI nor Scream Thy Last Scream. I haven't seen any internal memos or someone who was in the position to state that. Yet everyone claims that Scream & Vegetable Man were rejected by EMI. Both were just unfinished and left at that state when Syd was left. There was no point in finishing them without Syd. Jugband Blues happens to be released because it was finished and mixed back in 1967.

    That theory about Billy hired as songwriter is clearly wrong. He was just brought in by Norman to fill in the remaining time on session. Syd was never short on new songs, it just happened that what he offered to the band was clearly not suitable for single material.
    True, 'rejected' is probably a bit strong. But in the months after Emily there was clearly pressure for them to come up with another single, and the material they'd managed to record, as you say, wasn't suitable. As such, I think it's totally plausible (if a bit of a dumb idea) for Norman Smith to have asked Billy if he could come up with a hit for 'the boys' to record.
    As for his daughter, from her postings i got the impression that she already knows the answer.
    We'll have to agree to differ on that one. She obviously wasn't there at the time. If Billy had come out with a conclusive 'Yes! I can clearly remember recording this with the Floyd and this is how and why it happened.... etc etc', I don't see what she would stand to lose by sharing this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •